Velocity Reviews

-   -   Xtra to block Port 25 - no more mail servers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t578241-xtra-to-block-port-25-no-more-mail-servers.html)

Fred Dagg 03-27-2006 09:51 AM

Xtra to block Port 25 - no more mail servers

Xtra have announced they are going to block Port 25:

http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html

Basically, you wont be able to use your own mail server, unless you
forward everything through Xtra's buggy servers.

There is a rumour that Xtra will provide an opt-out... At a cost.
Thereby taxing customers who choose to manage their own mail servers.

whoisthis 03-27-2006 10:28 AM

Re: Xtra to block Port 25 - no more mail servers

In article <b9df22tcplklf8ncvc36b3a6ph15gcutd7@4ax.com>,
Fred Dagg <freddagg@dagg.com> wrote:

> Xtra have announced they are going to block Port 25:
>
> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html
>
> Basically, you wont be able to use your own mail server, unless you
> forward everything through Xtra's buggy servers.
>
> There is a rumour that Xtra will provide an opt-out... At a cost.
> Thereby taxing customers who choose to manage their own mail servers.

Xtra is a MSN outlet.... this will effectively kill off access to google
mail too....

I set up google mail so I could have pop/smtp from anywhere in the world
and not have to resort to a crap webmail interface.

Oh well, just another reason to leave xtra for someone else.

Peter 03-27-2006 10:38 AM

Fred Dagg wrote:
> Xtra have announced they are going to block Port 25:
> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html
>
> Basically, you wont be able to use your own mail server, unless you
> forward everything through Xtra's buggy servers.
>
> There is a rumour that Xtra will provide an opt-out... At a cost.
> Thereby taxing customers who choose to manage their own mail servers.

Sadly, I guess there are more trojan spam mail servers on users machines
than there are mail servers intentionally set up by users.

So, there is a benefit in shutting out all those spam trojans, albeit at the
cost of a few users who run their own mail servers.

Peter

Steve 03-27-2006 11:12 AM

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:51:03 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:

> Xtra have announced they are going to block Port 25:
>
> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html
>
> Basically, you wont be able to use your own mail server, unless you
> forward everything through Xtra's buggy servers.
>
> There is a rumour that Xtra will provide an opt-out... At a cost.
> Thereby taxing customers who choose to manage their own mail servers.

Well, that says they're going to filter it, not block. Doesn't it just
mean that you're going to have to use their servers as smart hosts for
sending email?

Jamie Kahn Genet 03-27-2006 11:13 AM

Re: Xtra to block Port 25 - no more mail servers

Fred Dagg <freddagg@dagg.com> wrote:

> Xtra have announced they are going to block Port 25:
>
> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html
>
> Basically, you wont be able to use your own mail server, unless you
> forward everything through Xtra's buggy servers.
>
> There is a rumour that Xtra will provide an opt-out... At a cost.
> Thereby taxing customers who choose to manage their own mail servers.

That's madness :-( OTOH - Xtra always has been the Windows of the NZ
ISPs - the one for the clueless sheep to flock too and be fleeced. What
a cluster**** Telecom is these days.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Jamie Kahn Genet 03-27-2006 11:15 AM

Steve <ThisOne@Aint.Valid> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:51:03 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
>

> > Xtra have announced they are going to block Port 25:
> >
> > http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html
> >
> > Basically, you wont be able to use your own mail server, unless you
> > forward everything through Xtra's buggy servers.
> >
> > There is a rumour that Xtra will provide an opt-out... At a cost.
> > Thereby taxing customers who choose to manage their own mail servers.

> Well, that says they're going to filter it, not block. Doesn't it just
> mean that you're going to have to use their servers as smart hosts for
> sending email?

and that's acceptable? Have you seen what useless crap Xtra's absurd
spamfilers add to outgoing email? I'm sorry, but the only way to get a
decent spam filter is to train a filter yourself. Xtra's is USELESS.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Aaron Lawrence 03-27-2006 03:37 PM

Re: Xtra to block Port 25 - no more mail servers

On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
Fred Dagg exclaimed:

> Xtra have announced they are going to block Port 25:
>
> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html

Somewhat reasonable. It's true that this cuts off all the trojaned
zombies from being able to send mail, although some will now send
through the ISP server.

Whenever this idea is suggested, everyone running their own mail server
predictably complains, without considering the upside in reduction of
spam (but spam prevention must have NO IMPACT AT ALL ON ME!!! I don't
like spam but I'm not prepared to move an inch to help solve the
problem. Etc.).

However, they don't make it clear if it's possible at all to "opt out".
The best practice is simply to enable it whenever someone is technical
enough to ask the right question; the thousands of clueless users
running trojans will never know to ask.

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Steve 03-27-2006 06:13 PM

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 23:15:50 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> Steve <ThisOne@Aint.Valid> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:51:03 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
>>

>> > Xtra have announced they are going to block Port 25:
>> >
>> > http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html
>> >
>> > Basically, you wont be able to use your own mail server, unless you
>> > forward everything through Xtra's buggy servers.
>> >
>> > There is a rumour that Xtra will provide an opt-out... At a cost.
>> > Thereby taxing customers who choose to manage their own mail servers.

>> Well, that says they're going to filter it, not block. Doesn't it just
>> mean that you're going to have to use their servers as smart hosts for
>> sending email?

> and that's acceptable? Have you seen what useless crap Xtra's absurd
> spamfilers add to outgoing email? I'm sorry, but the only way to get a
> decent spam filter is to train a filter yourself. Xtra's is USELESS.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

Never said it wasn't. All I said was that the picture wasn't as bleak as
painted. Note that *I* am not on Xtra.

Enkidu 03-27-2006 09:00 PM

whoisthis wrote:
> In article <b9df22tcplklf8ncvc36b3a6ph15gcutd7@4ax.com>, Fred Dagg
> <freddagg@dagg.com> wrote:
>

>> Xtra have announced they are going to block Port 25:
>>
>> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html
>>
>> Basically, you wont be able to use your own mail server, unless you
>> forward everything through Xtra's buggy servers.
>>
>> There is a rumour that Xtra will provide an opt-out... At a cost.
>> Thereby taxing customers who choose to manage their own mail
>> servers.

> Xtra is a MSN outlet.... this will effectively kill off access to
> google mail too....
>
> I set up google mail so I could have pop/smtp from anywhere in the
> world and not have to resort to a crap webmail interface.

You should still be able to pop mail off the Xtra servers.

Cheers,

Cliff

David A' Rebel 03-27-2006 09:04 PM

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:00:39 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

> whoisthis wrote:
>> In article <b9df22tcplklf8ncvc36b3a6ph15gcutd7@4ax.com>, Fred Dagg
>> <freddagg@dagg.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Xtra have announced they are going to block Port 25:
>>>
>>> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html
>>>
>>> Basically, you wont be able to use your own mail server, unless you
>>> forward everything through Xtra's buggy servers.
>>>
>>> There is a rumour that Xtra will provide an opt-out... At a cost.
>>> Thereby taxing customers who choose to manage their own mail servers.

>> Xtra is a MSN outlet.... this will effectively kill off access to google
>> mail too....
>>
>> I set up google mail so I could have pop/smtp from anywhere in the world
>> and not have to resort to a crap webmail interface.

Gmail does not use port 25.

> You should still be able to pop mail off the Xtra servers.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Yes you should but that doesn't address the problem of using other
servers, however in fairness to Xtra a lot of other major ISP's do the
same thing.