Velocity Reviews

-   -   Monitoring Internet Usage (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t578225-monitoring-internet-usage.html)

kriskirk@hotmail.com 03-26-2006 03:47 AM

Monitoring Internet Usage

I have a 4 port ADSL modem with 4 PC's connected to it, sharing a
broadband connection. I want to be able to tell how much internet usage
(downloads/uploads) each PC (or port) has done each month. What's the
easiest way to do this? Do the modems usually have any such logging
built-in? If not, are there are freeware utilities out there that will
do this?

Malcolm 03-26-2006 04:19 AM

Re: Monitoring Internet Usage

kriskirk@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have a 4 port ADSL modem with 4 PC's connected to it, sharing a
> broadband connection. I want to be able to tell how much internet
> usage (downloads/uploads) each PC (or port) has done each month.
> What's the easiest way to do this? Do the modems usually have any
> such logging built-in? If not, are there are freeware utilities out
> there that will do this?

Hi
Does the modem have snmp available? If not you could install the snmp
on each of the pc's and use something like mrtg on one pc to see the
ethernet stats.

--
Cheers
Malcolm °¿°

Justin 03-26-2006 04:26 AM

kriskirk@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have a 4 port ADSL modem with 4 PC's connected to it, sharing a
> broadband connection. I want to be able to tell how much internet usage
> (downloads/uploads) each PC (or port) has done each month. What's the
> easiest way to do this? Do the modems usually have any such logging
> built-in? If not, are there are freeware utilities out there that will
> do this?

Get an old machine, add an extra LAN Card and load it with IPCop. Attach
the modem to the RED LAN card and get a 8 port switch for ~$40 and
attach that to your GREEN LAN Card in addition to you 4 PCs.

Load IpCop with AdvProxy and URLFilter.

Then use WINSCP to pull the logs onto a machine and use Webalizer to do
you analysis.

kriskirk@hotmail.com 03-26-2006 08:09 AM

David wrote:
> Possibly overkill, not to mention the completely unnecessary electricity
> wastage.

Yeah all I want to do is to see who is using the most bandwidth so we
can split our internet bill accordingly, that's all. Is there a nice
and simple way to get this information from the router?

David 03-26-2006 08:41 AM

Shane 03-26-2006 09:23 AM

kriskirk@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have a 4 port ADSL modem with 4 PC's connected to it, sharing a
> broadband connection. I want to be able to tell how much internet usage
> (downloads/uploads) each PC (or port) has done each month. What's the
> easiest way to do this? Do the modems usually have any such logging
> built-in? If not, are there are freeware utilities out there that will
> do this?

No idea, but a little more information wouldnt go astray,
eg. Brand/Model of your router. or
Are your machines using the router for the LAN, or purely for intarweb, IOW
is all the traffic on the router heading in and out

IF the router has something like IPTABLES, or PF etc running it shouldnt be
too difficult to put together some sort of script that will keep a tab of
the traffic from ppp0 to eth[0-3]
Another possible option is finding out if one of the PC's can see everyones
traffic on the router, and run a script from there
But.. as you can see a *lot* more info is required
HTH

~misfit~ 03-26-2006 10:02 AM

kriskirk@hotmail.com wrote:
> David wrote:
>> Possibly overkill, not to mention the completely unnecessary
>> electricity wastage.

> Yeah all I want to do is to see who is using the most bandwidth so we
> can split our internet bill accordingly, that's all. Is there a nice
> and simple way to get this information from the router?

Not simple, no. I've been down that road.

Maybe install a traffic monitor on each PC and check that at the end of each
billing period? That's the easiest way I can think of. However I'd suggest
you all use the same utility as some under-report and some over-report
(IME).

Of course, if you're file sharing between the PCs then that scenario won't
work.
--
~Shaun~

Steve 03-26-2006 06:17 PM

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:02:35 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> kriskirk@hotmail.com wrote:
>> David wrote:
>>> Possibly overkill, not to mention the completely unnecessary
>>> electricity wastage.

>> Yeah all I want to do is to see who is using the most bandwidth so we
>> can split our internet bill accordingly, that's all. Is there a nice
>> and simple way to get this information from the router?

> Not simple, no. I've been down that road.
>
> Maybe install a traffic monitor on each PC and check that at the end of each
> billing period? That's the easiest way I can think of. However I'd suggest
> you all use the same utility as some under-report and some over-report
> (IME).
>
> Of course, if you're file sharing between the PCs then that scenario won't
> work.

....or use a managed switch that stores this information?

~misfit~ 03-27-2006 01:27 AM

Steve wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:02:35 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> kriskirk@hotmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah all I want to do is to see who is using the most bandwidth so
>>> we can split our internet bill accordingly, that's all. Is there a
>>> nice and simple way to get this information from the router?

>> Not simple, no. I've been down that road.
>>
>> Maybe install a traffic monitor on each PC and check that at the end
>> of each billing period? That's the easiest way I can think of.
>> However I'd suggest you all use the same utility as some
>> under-report and some over-report (IME).
>>
>> Of course, if you're file sharing between the PCs then that scenario
>> won't work.

> ...or use a managed switch that stores this information?

That would be the expensive solution, yes. ;-)
--
~Shaun~