Velocity Reviews

-   -   dvd sound (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t578223-dvd-sound.html)

brazen 03-25-2006 11:18 PM

dvd sound

Hi there,

I have a dvd player hooked into the telly (via the av channel on the video -
no fancy home theatre systems for us!) and have been happily playing dvds
till today when the speech track wouldnt play on 2 of them.

After having a scratch around I got one to work by altering audio from 5.1
channel to 2 channel, but the other dvd is 5.1 only. I can get sound effects
(dogs barking) but no-one talking. Much as i like dogs I'm keen on hearing
what the humans have to say.

Is there a way of playing 5.1 channel dvds on my setup or do I have to hook
in an amp?

And why is everything so f*cking complicated these days. <grizzle, moan>
Just bought a mobile phone and you just about have to have a degree to set
it up - just want the damned thing to ring!

Gay

Craig Shore 03-26-2006 12:04 AM

Re: dvd sound

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:18:30 +1200, "brazen" <gay@removethemtoobrazen.com.nz>
wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I have a dvd player hooked into the telly (via the av channel on the video -
>no fancy home theatre systems for us!) and have been happily playing dvds
>till today when the speech track wouldnt play on 2 of them.
>
>After having a scratch around I got one to work by altering audio from 5.1
>channel to 2 channel, but the other dvd is 5.1 only. I can get sound effects
>(dogs barking) but no-one talking. Much as i like dogs I'm keen on hearing
>what the humans have to say.
>
>Is there a way of playing 5.1 channel dvds on my setup or do I have to hook
>in an amp?

Have a look in the menus on your dvd player with your dvd player remote. The
setup of the dvd player that is, not the dvd movie menu. There is probably a
setting to mix it down to two channel.
I reaslise you said you did something similar above, but that may have just been
switching between multpile audio tracks recorded on that particular disc.

~misfit~ 03-26-2006 12:44 AM

Re: dvd sound

Craig Shore wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:18:30 +1200, "brazen"
> <gay@removethemtoobrazen.com.nz> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have a dvd player hooked into the telly (via the av channel on the
>> video - no fancy home theatre systems for us!) and have been happily
>> playing dvds till today when the speech track wouldnt play on 2 of
>> them.
>>
>> After having a scratch around I got one to work by altering audio
>> from 5.1 channel to 2 channel, but the other dvd is 5.1 only. I can
>> get sound effects (dogs barking) but no-one talking. Much as i like
>> dogs I'm keen on hearing what the humans have to say.
>>
>> Is there a way of playing 5.1 channel dvds on my setup or do I have
>> to hook in an amp?

> Have a look in the menus on your dvd player with your dvd player
> remote. The setup of the dvd player that is, not the dvd movie menu.
> There is probably a setting to mix it down to two channel.
> I reaslise you said you did something similar above, but that may
> have just been switching between multpile audio tracks recorded on
> that particular disc.

That's why I like the G1913 DVD player from DSE. I've had one for a while
now and there are only two (minor) things I can fault it on. Rather flimsy
tray (wouldn't want kids using it) and no power button on remote.

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto.../product/G1913

On the upside it has a plethora of audio out sockets; Coaxial digital audio,
Optical digital audio, 5.1 channel analog audio and, the ones I use, two
"downmix" analog audio. Although there's an extensive set-up menu in
software I don't need to use it to hook up the sound.

It also has the benefit of playing XviD and DivX from CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-/+R
and DVD-/+RW, a USB "drive" or any of several memory card brands.

For $150 I reckon it's a bargain. However, clearance stock, certain stores
only.
--
~Shaun~

Mark C 03-26-2006 04:43 AM

Re: dvd sound

"brazen" <gay@removethemtoobrazen.com.nz> wrote in

> I have a dvd player hooked into the telly (via the av channel on
> the video - no fancy home theatre systems for us!) and have been
> happily playing dvds till today when the speech track wouldnt
> play on 2 of them.
>
> After having a scratch around I got one to work by altering
> audio from 5.1 channel to 2 channel, but the other dvd is 5.1
> only. I can get sound effects (dogs barking) but no-one talking.
> Much as i like dogs I'm keen on hearing what the humans have to
> say.
>
> Is there a way of playing 5.1 channel dvds on my setup or do I
> have to hook in an amp?

See if your DVD player can downmix from 5.1 to stereo.
The setup menu may have some Audio options that allow selection of
stereo.
(IIRC, On my player, you must eject a DVD before the setup menu works
as expected.)

HTH,
Mark

Gordon 03-26-2006 06:30 AM

Re: dvd sound

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:18:30 +1200, brazen wrote:

> Just bought a mobile phone and you just about have to have a degree to set
> it up - just want the damned thing to ring!

Okay so whats the number ;_)

Gordon 03-26-2006 06:31 AM

Re: dvd sound

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:18:30 +1200, brazen wrote:

> And why is everything so f*cking complicated these days. <grizzle, moan>
> Just bought a mobile phone and you just about have to have a degree to set
> it up - just want the damned thing to ring!

Want to go back to 1906? **** the horseless carraiage was stomping onto
the playing field.

BTW can you programme your VCR?

Craig Sutton 03-26-2006 08:15 AM

Re: dvd sound

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooo.co.nz> wrote in message news:4425e3e3
> That's why I like the G1913 DVD player from DSE. I've had one for a while
> now and there are only two (minor) things I can fault it on. Rather flimsy
> tray (wouldn't want kids using it) and no power button on remote.
>
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto.../product/G1913
>
> On the upside it has a plethora of audio out sockets; Coaxial digital

audio,
> Optical digital audio, 5.1 channel analog audio and, the ones I use, two
> "downmix" analog audio. Although there's an extensive set-up menu in
> software I don't need to use it to hook up the sound.
>
> It also has the benefit of playing XviD and DivX from CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-/+R
> and DVD-/+RW, a USB "drive" or any of several memory card brands.
>
> For $150 I reckon it's a bargain. However, clearance stock, certain stores
> only.

I use a Pioneer 383 it handles everything

Philip 03-26-2006 08:50 AM

Re: dvd sound

brazen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a dvd player hooked into the telly (via the av channel on the video -
> no fancy home theatre systems for us!) and have been happily playing dvds
> till today when the speech track wouldnt play on 2 of them.
>
> After having a scratch around I got one to work by altering audio from 5.1
> channel to 2 channel, but the other dvd is 5.1 only. I can get sound effects
> (dogs barking) but no-one talking. Much as i like dogs I'm keen on hearing
> what the humans have to say.
>
> Is there a way of playing 5.1 channel dvds on my setup or do I have to hook
> in an amp?
>
> And why is everything so f*cking complicated these days. <grizzle, moan>
> Just bought a mobile phone and you just about have to have a degree to set
> it up - just want the damned thing to ring!
>
> Gay

What you need right now is a kid.

Philip

~misfit~ 03-26-2006 09:58 AM

Re: dvd sound

Craig Sutton wrote:
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooo.co.nz> wrote in message news:4425e3e3
>> That's why I like the G1913 DVD player from DSE. I've had one for a
>> while now and there are only two (minor) things I can fault it on.
>> Rather flimsy tray (wouldn't want kids using it) and no power button
>> on remote.
>>
>> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto.../product/G1913
>>
>> On the upside it has a plethora of audio out sockets; Coaxial
>> digital audio, Optical digital audio, 5.1 channel analog audio and,
>> the ones I use, two "downmix" analog audio. Although there's an
>> extensive set-up menu in software I don't need to use it to hook up
>> the sound.
>>
>> It also has the benefit of playing XviD and DivX from CD-R, CD-RW,
>> DVD-/+R and DVD-/+RW, a USB "drive" or any of several memory card
>> brands.
>>
>> For $150 I reckon it's a bargain. However, clearance stock, certain
>> stores only.

> I use a Pioneer 383 it handles everything

Mmmm, nice. Cost a bit more than the DSE jobby though huh?
--
~Shaun~

Craig Sutton 03-26-2006 12:29 PM

Re: dvd sound

> Craig Sutton wrote:
> > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooo.co.nz> wrote in message news:4425e3e3
> >> That's why I like the G1913 DVD player from DSE. I've had one for a
> >> while now and there are only two (minor) things I can fault it on.
> >> Rather flimsy tray (wouldn't want kids using it) and no power button
> >> on remote.
> >>
> >> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto.../product/G1913
> >>
> >> On the upside it has a plethora of audio out sockets; Coaxial
> >> digital audio, Optical digital audio, 5.1 channel analog audio and,
> >> the ones I use, two "downmix" analog audio. Although there's an
> >> extensive set-up menu in software I don't need to use it to hook up
> >> the sound.
> >>
> >> It also has the benefit of playing XviD and DivX from CD-R, CD-RW,
> >> DVD-/+R and DVD-/+RW, a USB "drive" or any of several memory card
> >> brands.
> >>
> >> For $150 I reckon it's a bargain. However, clearance stock, certain
> >> stores only.

> > I use a Pioneer 383 it handles everything

> Mmmm, nice. Cost a bit more than the DSE jobby though huh?
> --

Pioneer 383 are only $170 might be less now..