Velocity Reviews

-   -   My downloader wants me to dl trojans (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t578138-my-downloader-wants-me-to-dl-trojans.html)

Fishb8 03-19-2006 04:02 AM

My downloader wants me to dl trojans

My download manager keeps popping up with a download request for a dodgy
file from
http://www.impotato.com/a412/shed1.php?m=1&b=779&c=1
the file is:-
wdinit64.exe. Done a Google and got no info.
How do I identify and remove the source of the requester?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea 03-19-2006 05:01 AM

Re: My downloader wants me to dl trojans

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:02:50 +1200, Fishb8 wrote:

> My download manager keeps popping up with a download request for a dodgy
> file from
> http://www.impotato.com/a412/shed1.php?m=1&b=779&c=1
> the file is:-
> wdinit64.exe. Done a Google and got no info.
> How do I identify and remove the source of the requester?

If you are running M$ Windows this sort of thing is normal. If you wish to
avoid that sort of stuff, then dump M$ Windows and install Linux.

Cheers

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Fred Dagg 03-19-2006 05:41 AM

Re: My downloader wants me to dl trojans

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 17:01:40 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <c@t.com>
exclaimed:

>On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:02:50 +1200, Fishb8 wrote:
>
>> My download manager keeps popping up with a download request for a dodgy
>> file from
>> http://www.impotato.com/a412/shed1.php?m=1&b=779&c=1
>> the file is:-
>> wdinit64.exe. Done a Google and got no info.
>> How do I identify and remove the source of the requester?

>If you are running M$ Windows this sort of thing is normal. If you wish to
>avoid that sort of stuff, then dump M$ Windows and install Linux.

Oh, **** off you unhelpful fool.

These sort of posts just really prove your immaturity.

Philip 03-19-2006 05:55 AM

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:02:50 +1200, Fishb8 wrote:
>
>> My download manager keeps popping up with a download request for a dodgy
>> file from
>> http://www.impotato.com/a412/shed1.php?m=1&b=779&c=1
>> the file is:-
>> wdinit64.exe. Done a Google and got no info.
>> How do I identify and remove the source of the requester?

> If you are running M$ Windows this sort of thing is normal. If you wish to
> avoid that sort of stuff, then dump M$ Windows and install Linux.
>

> Cheers
>
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

That may be a bigger change than the OP is willing to make.

If I were me and this started to happen, I would run a spyware and
adware detector, and I would make sure that the impotato.com site, which
I see is registered to a pseudonym that lives in a PO box in Sweden,
was redirected to 10.0.0.0 in my Hosts file. If I didn't know what a
Hosts file is, I would google it, and then go to
http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
and download the installer found there.

I admire the work of the FOSS community, and I run Ubuntu on several of
my computers. I'm busy installing it on a Psion NetBook which I hope
will revive that once-innovative notebook, with its 8-hour battery life.
I also admire much of what Microsoft produces - for its functionality
and ubiquity.

But until the FOSS community gets its act together and produces
documentation and help files that don't require the reader to have a
Ph.D, and starts to address the fact that there are no support drivers
for a whole range of stuff, and recognises that the command line some of
us grew up with is seen as hostile by many users who just want to write
their thesis or run their business, it will struggle to make an impact
on the desktop.

For starters: there needs to be a help website where questions get
answered in plain English, without sneering and jeering, without
constantly slagging off the Redmond products, and without getting into
religious debates about different distros and versions of the software
licences.

One of the most off-putting things about the Mac community has been its
evangelical belief in the doctrine that My Computer is Better Than Your
Computer. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but just like the overkill from
devotees of Mac, Linux zealotry hurts, doesn't help, the case.

Philip

(and by the way, my computer IS better than your computer)

Invisible 03-19-2006 05:55 AM

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 17:01:40 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <c@t.com> wrote:

>If you are running M$ Windows this sort of thing is normal

Never happened to me.

Dave Taylor 03-19-2006 06:17 AM

Re: My downloader wants me to dl trojans

"Fishb8" <royandros@xtra.co.nz> wrote in news:JJ4Tf.7082$JZ1.248853
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> My download manager keeps popping up with a download request for a dodgy
> file from
> http://www.impotato.com/a412/shed1.php?m=1&b=779&c=1
> the file is:-
> wdinit64.exe. Done a Google and got no info.
> How do I identify and remove the source of the requester?

Your machine is likely infected with a trojan.
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
a-squared (a-squared) is a complementary product to antivirus software and
desktop firewalls on MS Windows computers. Antivirus software specializes
in detecting classic viruses. Many available products have weaknesses in
detecting other malicious software (Malware) like Trojans, Dialers, Worms
and Spyware (Adware). a-squared fills the gap that malware writers exploit.

You have up to date and working antivirus right?
No, then get Avast.

Ciao, Dave

Fishb8 03-19-2006 06:14 PM

"Dave Taylor" <daveytay@nospamplshotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns978BBA05E65D8daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
> "Fishb8" <royandros@xtra.co.nz> wrote in news:JJ4Tf.7082$JZ1.248853
> @news.xtra.co.nz:
>
>> My download manager keeps popping up with a download request for a dodgy
>> file from
>> http://www.impotato.com/a412/shed1.php?m=1&b=779&c=1
>> the file is:-
>> wdinit64.exe. Done a Google and got no info.
>> How do I identify and remove the source of the requester?
>>

> Your machine is likely infected with a trojan.
> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
> a-squared (a-squared) is a complementary product to antivirus software and
> desktop firewalls on MS Windows computers. Antivirus software specializes
> in detecting classic viruses. Many available products have weaknesses in
> detecting other malicious software (Malware) like Trojans, Dialers, Worms
> and Spyware (Adware). a-squared fills the gap that malware writers
> exploit.
>
> You have up to date and working antivirus right?
> No, then get Avast.

> Ciao, Dave

Thanks everyone, especially Dave.
Installed A Squared and found a Trojan that my AV and Spyware missed. Teach
me to visit dodgy sites and try to find serials!

Waylon Kenning 03-19-2006 08:11 PM

Re: My downloader wants me to dl trojans

T'was the Mon, 20 Mar 2006 06:14:14 +1200 when I remembered "Fishb8"
<royandros@xtra.co.nz> saying something like this:

>Installed A Squared and found a Trojan that my AV and Spyware missed. Teach
>me to visit dodgy sites and try to find serials!

Wouldn't recommend it. However, I would also switch to Firefox if
you're not already using it, which seems to reduce the number of
drive-by installs. Bare in mind it doesn't stop all, that's where your
anti-virus software comes in handy.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea 03-19-2006 09:56 PM

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 06:14:14 +1200, Fishb8 wrote:

> Installed A Squared and found a Trojan that my AV and Spyware missed. Teach
> me to visit dodgy sites and try to find serials!

That's what you get for using Micro$oft Windows, and Micro$oft Internet
Explorer and Micro$oft Outlook/Express.

Have you considered using alternatives?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
One Unix to rule them all,
One Resolver to find them,

Have A Nice Cup of Tea 03-19-2006 09:58 PM

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:11:59 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

> Bare in mind it doesn't stop all, that's where your
> anti-virus software comes in handy.

Firefox will only automatically install software if you have explicitly
told it to do so.

And we all know that having it set like that is a very microsoft thing to
do.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
One Unix to rule them all,