Velocity Reviews

-   -   BT 'quadruples' broadband speeds (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577979-bt-quadruples-broadband-speeds.html)

Mark Robinson 03-04-2006 02:01 PM

BT 'quadruples' broadband speeds

BT is to increase its broadband speeds by up to four times from 31 March.

The firm said 78% of its users would be able to access at least four megabits
per second (4Mbps), compared with the maximum of two available now.

Almost half would get 6Mbps and those close to their local exchange would be
able to access 8Mbps.

Some rival providers already offer up to 24Mbps, but their services are
restricted mainly to clusters of users in big cities.

BT said more than 5,300 exchanges serving more than 99.6% of UK homes and
businesses were being upgraded to support the higher speeds.

As well as making web browsing and e-mailing quicker, higher speeds mean people
can do more with their net connection, such as watching video, listening to
audio, and playing online games.

Nho Whei 03-05-2006 09:09 AM

Re: BT 'quadruples' broadband speeds

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 03:01:20 +1300, Mark Robinson
<usenet@antispam.zl2tod.net> wrote:

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4773880.stm
>
>BT 'quadruples' broadband speeds
>
>BT is to increase its broadband speeds by up to four times from 31 March.
>
>The firm said 78% of its users would be able to access at least four megabits
>per second (4Mbps), compared with the maximum of two available now.
>
>Almost half would get 6Mbps and those close to their local exchange would be
>able to access 8Mbps.
>
>Some rival providers already offer up to 24Mbps, but their services are
>restricted mainly to clusters of users in big cities.
>
>BT said more than 5,300 exchanges serving more than 99.6% of UK homes and
>businesses were being upgraded to support the higher speeds.
>
>As well as making web browsing and e-mailing quicker, higher speeds mean people
>can do more with their net connection, such as watching video, listening to
>audio, and playing online games.

Capped?

Jason Fanning 03-05-2006 03:05 PM

Mark Robinson wrote:

> BT 'quadruples' broadband speeds
>
> BT is to increase its broadband speeds by up to four times from 31 March.
>
> The firm said 78% of its users would be able to access at least four
> megabits per second (4Mbps), compared with the maximum of two available
> now.
>
> Almost half would get 6Mbps and those close to their local exchange
> would be able to access 8Mbps.
>
> Some rival providers already offer up to 24Mbps, but their services are
> restricted mainly to clusters of users in big cities.
>
> BT said more than 5,300 exchanges serving more than 99.6% of UK homes
> and businesses were being upgraded to support the higher speeds.
>
> As well as making web browsing and e-mailing quicker, higher speeds mean
> people can do more with their net connection, such as watching video,
> listening to audio, and playing online games.

Yeah but it is BT, they manage to make Telecom look good as far as
service goes

whoisthis 03-06-2006 06:37 PM

Re: BT 'quadruples' broadband speeds

In article <44099DB0.5050507@antispam.zl2tod.net>,
Mark Robinson <usenet@antispam.zl2tod.net> wrote:

> BT 'quadruples' broadband speeds
>
> BT is to increase its broadband speeds by up to four times from 31 March.
>
> The firm said 78% of its users would be able to access at least four megabits
> per second (4Mbps), compared with the maximum of two available now.
>
> Almost half would get 6Mbps and those close to their local exchange would be
> able to access 8Mbps.

Umm lets be honest here, BT is only doubling its speed for 78% of
customers.

Steve 03-07-2006 03:55 AM

"Jason Fanning" <jfanning@clear.net.nz> wrote in message
> Mark Robinson wrote:
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4773880.stm
> >
> > BT 'quadruples' broadband speeds
> >
> > BT is to increase its broadband speeds by up to four times from 31

March.

> > The firm said 78% of its users would be able to access at least four
> > megabits per second (4Mbps), compared with the maximum of two available
> > now.
> >
> > Almost half would get 6Mbps and those close to their local exchange
> > would be able to access 8Mbps.
> >
> > Some rival providers already offer up to 24Mbps, but their services are
> > restricted mainly to clusters of users in big cities.
> >
> > BT said more than 5,300 exchanges serving more than 99.6% of UK homes
> > and businesses were being upgraded to support the higher speeds.
> >
> > As well as making web browsing and e-mailing quicker, higher speeds mean
> > people can do more with their net connection, such as watching video,
> > listening to audio, and playing online games.

> Yeah but it is BT, they manage to make Telecom look good as far as
> service goes

This may have been your experience, but we had excellent service from all
sections of BT for over 35years. It was New Zealands loss when it pulled out
Clear.