Velocity Reviews

-   -   newby website/sql server question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577958-newby-website-sql-server-question.html)

Joe Black 03-02-2006 10:39 PM

newby website/sql server question

Is it possible to have a website that uses sql server as the back end
database hosted by an ISP, and be able to connect to the sql server database
through the internet from my desktop computer by setting up an ODBC
connection and specifying the IP address of the host's server?

Thanks -Joe

The Other Guy 03-02-2006 11:12 PM

Re: newby website/sql server question

Joe Black wrote:
> Is it possible to have a website that uses sql server as the back end
> database hosted by an ISP, and be able to connect to the sql server database
> through the internet from my desktop computer by setting up an ODBC
> connection and specifying the IP address of the host's server?

Yes, although your ability to do this would depend on the type of
hosting you purchased. If they host your own server, this shouldn't be a
problem. If you purchase Web hosting and they provide access to a
database, this access may be restricted to their Web server only, not to
remote hosts.

The Other Guy