Velocity Reviews

-   -   itunes - update library (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577945-itunes-update-library.html)

Andrew 03-02-2006 03:52 AM

itunes - update library

Okay.. so i have a folder of mp3s on a hard drive

I buy an ipod...
I install itunes
I add the mp3 folder to the library of itunes...

All happy until:

I add a new folder into the mp3 folder... How do i tell itunes to update
the library??

am i just blind and cant find the update button??

Andrew 03-02-2006 03:58 AM

Re: itunes - update library

Andrew wrote:
> Okay.. so i have a folder of mp3s on a hard drive
>
> I buy an ipod...
> I install itunes
> I add the mp3 folder to the library of itunes...
>
> All happy until:
>
> I add a new folder into the mp3 folder... How do i tell itunes to update
> the library??
>
> am i just blind and cant find the update button??

Ohh Yea, I have seen "consolidate library" and thought thats what im
meant to do... But it said: "consolidating your library will copy all of
your music into the itunes music folder. This cannot be undone"

Im not sure exactly where it thinks its gonna copy it all too... It wont
all fit onto the c:....

Roger Johnstone 03-02-2006 09:26 AM

Re: itunes - update library

In <h_tNf.572$JZ1.44447@news.xtra.co.nz> Andrew wrote:
> Okay.. so i have a folder of mp3s on a hard drive
>
> I buy an ipod...
> I install itunes
> I add the mp3 folder to the library of itunes...
>
> All happy until:
>
> I add a new folder into the mp3 folder... How do i tell itunes to
> update the library??
>
> am i just blind and cant find the update button??

iTunes keeps track of every individual file in its library with a
database, rather than of all the files in any particular folder. The
only way to add files to the library is to explicitly tell iTunes you
want to do that. If you select File / Add to Library... and pick the top
level folder of your music location it will scan through the entire
contents and add any new files it finds in there to the library. Any
files that are already in the library will be ignored.

http://roger.geek.nz/

Andrew 03-02-2006 07:44 PM

Re: itunes - update library

Roger Johnstone wrote:
> In <h_tNf.572$JZ1.44447@news.xtra.co.nz> Andrew wrote:
>> Okay.. so i have a folder of mp3s on a hard drive
>>
>> I buy an ipod...
>> I install itunes
>> I add the mp3 folder to the library of itunes...
>>
>> All happy until:
>>
>> I add a new folder into the mp3 folder... How do i tell itunes to
>> update the library??
>>
>> am i just blind and cant find the update button??

> iTunes keeps track of every individual file in its library with a
> database, rather than of all the files in any particular folder. The
> only way to add files to the library is to explicitly tell iTunes you
> want to do that. If you select File / Add to Library... and pick the top
> level folder of your music location it will scan through the entire
> contents and add any new files it finds in there to the library. Any
> files that are already in the library will be ignored.

And that wont add anything twice??

Im sure that if i manually add a single folder (thats already there) it
will list everything twice..

THanks though, I will try this at home tonight