Velocity Reviews

-   -   PentiumD 805 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577938-pentiumd-805-a.html)

Stephen Williams 03-01-2006 08:53 AM

PentiumD 805

This looks like a good deal. Dual core, 2.66GHz, 533FSB, 2 * 1MB cache,
90nm.

Shitty specs, but for $240 it's hard to complain about getting a very
overclockable dual core CPU.

I've been on the AMD bandwagon even since prescott. But my X2 3800 cost more
than twice what this does :o

~misfit~ 03-01-2006 10:53 AM

Re: PentiumD 805

Stephen Williams wrote:
> This looks like a good deal. Dual core, 2.66GHz, 533FSB, 2 * 1MB
> cache, 90nm.
>
> Shitty specs, but for $240 it's hard to complain about getting a very
> overclockable dual core CPU.
>
> I've been on the AMD bandwagon even since prescott. But my X2 3800
> cost more than twice what this does :o

I've been on the AMD bandwagon ever since Intel dropped the Tualatin PIII
range in favour of that mutt of a CPU, the P4.

I think you'll find your X2 3800 to be a hell of a lot better than the 805.
I know what I'd rather have.
--
~misfit~

Stephen Williams 03-01-2006 11:06 AM

Re: PentiumD 805

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
> Stephen Williams wrote:
>> This looks like a good deal. Dual core, 2.66GHz, 533FSB, 2 * 1MB
>> cache, 90nm.
>>
>> Shitty specs, but for $240 it's hard to complain about getting a very
>> overclockable dual core CPU.
>>
>> I've been on the AMD bandwagon even since prescott. But my X2 3800
>> cost more than twice what this does :o

> I've been on the AMD bandwagon ever since Intel dropped the Tualatin PIII
> range in favour of that mutt of a CPU, the P4.
>
> I think you'll find your X2 3800 to be a hell of a lot better than the
> 805. I know what I'd rather have.
> --
> ~misfit~

Yeah that was a good CPU, far too short-lived. But the Northwood 800fsb HT
P4 was good too. I "upgraded" my P4 to a single core A64 and found it
didn't have quite the response that the P4 had, especially when
multi-tasking. So I quickly went out and got the X2 which is simply great :)
The single core ended up in my girlfriend's PC and she is very happy with
it.

I know the A64 dual core version is way better. All I was saying is that
this Pentium D looks like great value for money.

~misfit~ 03-01-2006 01:04 PM

Re: PentiumD 805

Stephen Williams wrote:
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Stephen Williams wrote:
>>> This looks like a good deal. Dual core, 2.66GHz, 533FSB, 2 * 1MB
>>> cache, 90nm.
>>>
>>> Shitty specs, but for $240 it's hard to complain about getting a
>>> very overclockable dual core CPU.
>>>
>>> I've been on the AMD bandwagon even since prescott. But my X2 3800
>>> cost more than twice what this does :o

>> I've been on the AMD bandwagon ever since Intel dropped the Tualatin
>> PIII range in favour of that mutt of a CPU, the P4.
>>
>> I think you'll find your X2 3800 to be a hell of a lot better than
>> the 805. I know what I'd rather have.
>> --
>> ~misfit~

> Yeah that was a good CPU, far too short-lived.

Oh well, Intel learned their lesson and the Tualatin's direct descandant
lives on as the Pentium M. Intel's Israel R&D folks refused to give up on
the PIII Tualatin and tweaked it until it became the Pentium M. A core with
similar power/MHz ratio as the AMD CPUs and the future for Intel's
multi-core CPUs as it's very efficient.

> But the Northwood
> 800fsb HT P4 was good too.

Yeah, IMO the best of a bad bunch though. Intel had backed a losing design
but tweaked it for all they could and got some reasonable performance out of
it. Not good power/MHz ratio but power all the same.

> I "upgraded" my P4 to a single core A64
> and found it didn't have quite the response that the P4 had,
> especially when multi-tasking. So I quickly went out and got the X2
> which is simply great :) The single core ended up in my girlfriend's
> PC and she is very happy with it.

I bet she is. I'm still using a Barton. :-)

> I know the A64 dual core version is way better. All I was saying is
> that this Pentium D looks like great value for money.

Yeah, you're right. Especially if it *is* a good overclocker.
--
~misfit~