Velocity Reviews

-   -   Why Windows Vista Won't Suck (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577933-why-windows-vista-wont-suck.html)

Nathan Mercer 02-28-2006 10:55 PM

Why Windows Vista Won't Suck

attention getting subject line

Great, multi part article on Windows Vista technology advances:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1931913,00.asp

It's worth the read.

"It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and
under the hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a
dramatic, whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform. If you got
anything out of this article, we hope it's the realization that Vista
is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base that has been slowly
evolving over the years with some fancy graphics and icons slapped onto
it. It should be clear that Vista is really the next generation of
operating system from Microsoft, every bit as significant as the leap
from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X."

Mutlley 03-01-2006 12:05 AM

Re: Why Windows Vista Won't Suck

"Nathan Mercer" <nmercer@gmail.com> wrote:

>attention getting subject line
>
>Great, multi part article on Windows Vista technology advances:
>
>http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1931913,00.asp
>
>It's worth the read.
>
>"It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and
>under the hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a
>dramatic, whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform. If you got
>anything out of this article, we hope it's the realization that Vista
>is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base that has been slowly
>evolving over the years with some fancy graphics and icons slapped onto
>it. It should be clear that Vista is really the next generation of
>operating system from Microsoft, every bit as significant as the leap
>from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X."

I'll stick with Win 2K thanx..

Philip 03-01-2006 12:43 AM

Nathan Mercer wrote:
> attention getting subject line
>
> Great, multi part article on Windows Vista technology advances:
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1931913,00.asp
>
> It's worth the read.
>
> "It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and
> under the hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a
> dramatic, whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform. If you got
> anything out of this article, we hope it's the realization that Vista
> is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base that has been slowly
> evolving over the years with some fancy graphics and icons slapped onto
> it. It should be clear that Vista is really the next generation of
> operating system from Microsoft, every bit as significant as the leap
> from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X."

A good article and it makes the new product seem desirable. But I'd like
to know more about the inbuilt DRM capacities that have been rumored for
months.

Philip

E. Scrooge 03-01-2006 01:53 AM

"Nathan Mercer" <nmercer@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1141167343.908737.213010@p10g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
> attention getting subject line
>
> Great, multi part article on Windows Vista technology advances:
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1931913,00.asp
>
> It's worth the read.
>
> "It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and
> under the hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a
> dramatic, whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform. If you got
> anything out of this article, we hope it's the realization that Vista
> is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base that has been slowly
> evolving over the years with some fancy graphics and icons slapped onto
> it. It should be clear that Vista is really the next generation of
> operating system from Microsoft, every bit as significant as the leap
> from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X."

I'm amazed at how stable and reliable BETA2 is already. I couldn't back to
using Windows2000.
The new XP interface grows on you after a while, I've been using a BETA2
build for a month now and have got used to the new interface. Some of the
UI enhancements around working with digital files like pictures and
video/audio is pretty cool.

Specifically Windows Media Player 8 is very cool.. The new look and feel of
it, being able to rip down to WMA format, burn to a CD, find Internet radio
stations etc all from the one program is pretty impessive. The new codecs
that Microsoft have put in there are very impressive too. Near VHS quality
at 250K and near DVD quality at 500K

Nathan

Remember that post and many others when XP was released?

So you're now saying that XP never was that great after all. And you'll be
playing a similar tune when Vista is replaced with Asta in about another 5
years time.

Nothing like having a good solid platform but it still take real programs to
actually get any work done on. Not a damn thing can be done on a bare OS
alone. Even Miscrosoft have real programs to help people get what they want
done.

And the Microsoft ads along with the :"Start Me Up" Rollings Stones crap
claimed that XP was completely secure. By harping on how secure XP is
Microsoft were advertising people to dump Windows 98 to use XP instead.

And if Vista is the big jump that Windows 95 was from W3.1, lets not forget
the big lemon that the first version of Windows 95 was compared to Windows
95B that was only shipped out later on new computers.

Going by past form Vista will be the lemon that Windows95 was. The first
big test for Vista will be if Bill Gates can actually demostrate to the
world media without the thing crashing on him.

Many are people are going to be more than happy with XP as a platform to use
far more useful real programs on for quite some number of years to come.

If Vista is the future then it should need at least a GB of RAM to run it,
support huge hard drives and damn near real life graphic cards that make
games look like the real thing.

Lets not forget that when Asta is released that it will be so much more
better than Vista, and it will give you chance to compare the true flaws of
Vista compared to the latest best thing from Microsoft.

It's nice to know that Vista is good because you're now damn near suggesting
that XP never really was very good at all. It took years to refine the
32bit platform of XP, and will no doubt be the same with Vista.

"is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base "

You never said that when you claimed you could never go back to Windows 2000
even though they both use the same code base according to your XP release
post.

E. Scrooge

Have A Nice Cup of Tea 03-01-2006 01:54 AM

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:55:43 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> "It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and under the
> hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a dramatic,
> whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform.

Yup - instead of sucking it blows... chunks.

LOL

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux, and
it does all the things that they want."

Have A Nice Cup of Tea 03-01-2006 01:55 AM

Re: Why Windows Vista Won't Suck

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:55:43 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> every bit
> as significant as the leap from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from
> Mac OS 9 to OS X."

Interesting that no comparison is made with Linux.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

E. Scrooge 03-01-2006 01:56 AM

"Mutlley" <mutley2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Nathan Mercer" <nmercer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>attention getting subject line
>>
>>Great, multi part article on Windows Vista technology advances:
>>
>>http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1931913,00.asp
>>
>>It's worth the read.
>>
>>"It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and
>>under the hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a
>>dramatic, whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform. If you got
>>anything out of this article, we hope it's the realization that Vista
>>is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base that has been slowly
>>evolving over the years with some fancy graphics and icons slapped onto
>>it. It should be clear that Vista is really the next generation of
>>operating system from Microsoft, every bit as significant as the leap
>>from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X."

> I'll stick with Win 2K thanx..

Well the good news that Win 2K is just as good as XP according to Nathan,
they both use the same code base. And yet in his XP post he said he would
never go back to Windows 2000.

It's great that the only way to promote Vista is by rubbing all the previous
software that Microsoft has made before it.

E. Scrooge

Nathan Mercer 03-01-2006 01:59 AM

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:55:43 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:
>
> > every bit
> > as significant as the leap from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from
> > Mac OS 9 to OS X."

> Interesting that no comparison is made with Linux.

Maybe you would like to make the comparison about Linux desktops then?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea 03-01-2006 02:08 AM

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:53:01 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:

> So you're now saying that XP never was that great after all. And you'll
> be playing a similar tune when Vista is replaced with Asta in about
> another 5 years time.

You need to remember that Mercer is employed by Micro$oft. He is paid to
say these things. He cannot say anything in public that is contrary to
Micro$oft's media releases without risk. IOW, he is an in-house shill for
Micro$oft.

Yes - he does offer some helpful stuff for people with issues to do with
Micro$oft software.

But you don't hear his own voice - you hear that of the Micro$oft
propaganda machine.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Have A Nice Cup of Tea 03-01-2006 02:36 AM

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:59:27 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

>> Interesting that no comparison is made with Linux.

> Maybe you would like to make the comparison about Linux desktops then?

I have no intention of ever again installing any Micro$oft software on any
computer in my home.

Micro$oft is history. Linux is what's cool at present and will be
everywhere in the near future. A sustained 20% year on year growth is not
something to dismiss lightly.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea