Velocity Reviews

-   -   Internet Dialler problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577929-internet-dialler-problem.html)

Mike Newman 02-28-2006 08:19 AM

Internet Dialler problem

Running W2k here.

Network and Dialup Connections does not correctly store my
password.for connecting to my ISP.

The password appears as a row of xxxxxx...... , which is twice as
long as the correct password string, and no connection results.

I have to delete the extended string and re enter the password to get
the dialler function. correctly.

What is the problem and how is it rectified .

hanks de miken

XPD 02-28-2006 08:52 AM

Re: Internet Dialler problem

"Mike Newman" <mnewman@clear.net.nz> wrote in message
> Running W2k here.
>
> Network and Dialup Connections does not correctly store my
> password.for connecting to my ISP.
>
> The password appears as a row of xxxxxx...... , which is twice as
> long as the correct password string, and no connection results.
>
> I have to delete the extended string and re enter the password to get
> the dialler function. correctly.
>
> What is the problem and how is it rectified .
>
> hanks de miken

1) I know WinXP makes your password look longer, but your password is
correct, but cant remember if 2k does the same....
2) What error do you get if you dont re-enter the password ? 691 ?

Dave Taylor 02-28-2006 09:22 AM

Re: Internet Dialler problem

Mike Newman <mnewman@clear.net.nz> wrote in

> What is the problem and how is it rectified .

Don't worry about the length of stars, that is to confuse you.

Make a new connection with a different name, like "ISP connection 2", and
than setup all the user and password again. This makes new correct
registry keys and should fix it. Remove old connection when this one
works.

--
Ciao, Dave

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz 02-28-2006 08:14 PM

Re: Internet Dialler problem

Just making a new connection does not necessarily solve your
problem. Try the following.

1] Follow Dave Taylor's suggestion of making a new connection.

2] When you first attempt to log on you are presented with a new
logon connection dialog.

3] Click the Properties button at the foot of the dialog

4] Select the Options tab

5] In the Dialing Options panel, UNCHECK all boxes except the
Display progress box. The OK

6] When returned to the new connection dialog, enter your password
and make sure the Save the user name and password button is checked:
make you selection of one of the two access options -- Me only or
Anyone.

7] Dial

8] Your preferences should now be recorded in the Registry

Mike Newman 02-28-2006 09:20 PM

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:14:24 +1300, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

> Just making a new connection does not necessarily solve your
>problem. Try the following.........

Thanks all for replying

I was getting error 691 messages, but after some tinkering that no
longer happens, and the dialer is working ok, even with the extra long
password string

I did make a new connection a while back to try to reset the password
string, but it didn't work at that time, I'll try that again, in line
with the steps you have outlined.

Cheers MikeN

Brendan 03-01-2006 01:10 AM

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:20:38 +1300, Mike Newman wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:14:24 +1300, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
>
>> Just making a new connection does not necessarily solve your
>>problem. Try the following.........

> Thanks all for replying
>
> I was getting error 691 messages, but after some tinkering that no
> longer happens, and the dialer is working ok, even with the extra long
> password string
>
> I did make a new connection a while back to try to reset the password
> string, but it didn't work at that time, I'll try that again, in line
> with the steps you have outlined.
>
> Cheers MikeN

Remember, the OS deliberatly pads out your password so that people cannot
guess your password by counting how many letters are in it. It's a security
feature. It knows what it really is.

--

.... Brendan

#409 +(4383)- [X]

<DaZE> at my school.. the cop from DARE passed around 3 joints to show
everyone... and he said "if i dont get all three of these back this schools
getting locked down and everyones getting searched till i find it.." and
like 30 minutes later when everyone got to see 'em and they got passed back
the cop had 4

Note: All my comments are copyright 1/03/2006 10:42:47 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.