Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mobile internet data costs? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577910-mobile-internet-data-costs.html)

Gordy 02-26-2006 05:36 AM

Mobile internet data costs?

I have been using a Telecom pre-paid WAP phone to surf the internet
this week-end. Good fun when you are away from home.

I don't know whether to get myself a Telecom or Vodafone prepaid
phone.

Telecom charge 5c/kByte

Vodafone charge 1c/kByte. (10c/10kByte)

Seems Vodafone is 5 times better for casual data usage.

I am not an Xtra customer.

Any other factors to consider?

Cheers

Gordy

Fred Dagg 02-26-2006 05:51 AM

Re: Mobile internet data costs?

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:36:24 +1300, Gordy <grg7nz@hotmail.com>
exclaimed:

>I have been using a Telecom pre-paid WAP phone to surf the internet
>this week-end. Good fun when you are away from home.
>
>I don't know whether to get myself a Telecom or Vodafone prepaid
>phone.
>
>Telecom charge 5c/kByte
>
>Vodafone charge 1c/kByte. (10c/10kByte)
>
>Seems Vodafone is 5 times better for casual data usage.
>
>I am not an Xtra customer.
>
>Any other factors to consider?

If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
network will walk all over Telecoms.

David 02-26-2006 07:02 AM

Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:36:24 +1300, Gordy <grg7nz@hotmail.com>
> exclaimed:
>
>> I have been using a Telecom pre-paid WAP phone to surf the internet
>> this week-end. Good fun when you are away from home.
>>
>> I don't know whether to get myself a Telecom or Vodafone prepaid
>> phone.
>>
>> Telecom charge 5c/kByte
>>
>> Vodafone charge 1c/kByte. (10c/10kByte)
>>
>> Seems Vodafone is 5 times better for casual data usage.
>>
>> I am not an Xtra customer.
>>
>> Any other factors to consider?
>>

> If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
> network will walk all over Telecoms.

And if you plan on making voice calls, vodafone is crystal clear,
telecom sounds like you're talking underwater. Vodafone also allows
multipart text messages (>160 chars). And they have more/better/cheaper
phones that will work overseas.

Stu Fleming 02-26-2006 07:02 AM

Fred Dagg wrote:

> If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
> network will walk all over Telecoms.

On the other hand, Telecom never disconnected me, even when an unpaid
bill was accidentally approaching the 90 day range.

Vodafone are a little bit itchy on that trigger finger. Not hugely
impressed.

Waylon Kenning 02-26-2006 07:34 AM

Re: Mobile internet data costs?

T'was the Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:36:24 +1300 when I remembered Gordy
<grg7nz@hotmail.com> saying something like this:

>Telecom charge 5c/kByte
>
>Vodafone charge 1c/kByte. (10c/10kByte)

I know if you sign onto their no term Mobilize 3MB plan, it's $10 for
3MB, then $2 a MB after that, dropping prices way down.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Matthew Poole 02-26-2006 08:34 AM

Re: Mobile internet data costs?

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:02:52 +1300, someone purporting to be Stu Fleming
didst scrawl:

> Fred Dagg wrote:
>
>> If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
>> network will walk all over Telecoms.

> On the other hand, Telecom never disconnected me, even when an unpaid
> bill was accidentally approaching the 90 day range.
>
> Vodafone are a little bit itchy on that trigger finger. Not hugely
> impressed.

So you're unhappy that a business won't wear customers who don't pay their
bills?
Sounds more like you're impressed that Telecom are slack with their debt
processing - or they're so desperate to keep their customer count high
that they'll ignore unpaid invoices for months.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Fred Dagg 02-26-2006 08:38 AM

Re: Mobile internet data costs?

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:02:48 +1300, David <none@none.com> exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:36:24 +1300, Gordy <grg7nz@hotmail.com>
>> exclaimed:
>>
>>> I have been using a Telecom pre-paid WAP phone to surf the internet
>>> this week-end. Good fun when you are away from home.
>>>
>>> I don't know whether to get myself a Telecom or Vodafone prepaid
>>> phone.
>>>
>>> Telecom charge 5c/kByte
>>>
>>> Vodafone charge 1c/kByte. (10c/10kByte)
>>>
>>> Seems Vodafone is 5 times better for casual data usage.
>>>
>>> I am not an Xtra customer.
>>>
>>> Any other factors to consider?
>>>

>> If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
>> network will walk all over Telecoms.

>And if you plan on making voice calls, vodafone is crystal clear,
>telecom sounds like you're talking underwater. Vodafone also allows
>multipart text messages (>160 chars). And they have more/better/cheaper
>phones that will work overseas.

Actually, I was handed someone's Telecom cellphone on Friday, and was
astounded at the low sound quality. As this person worked for a phone
company, they had the latest and greatest phone, too.

There REALLY is a difference in call quality.

Fred Dagg 02-26-2006 08:40 AM

Re: Mobile internet data costs?

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:02:52 +1300, Stu Fleming <stewart@wic.co.nz>
exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg wrote:
>
>> If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
>> network will walk all over Telecoms.

>On the other hand, Telecom never disconnected me, even when an unpaid
>bill was accidentally approaching the 90 day range.
>
>Vodafone are a little bit itchy on that trigger finger. Not hugely
>impressed.

What ****es me off, is that our bill is automatically paid on the due
date. If this falls on a weekend, it gets paid on the following
Monday.

However, I've rung up twice now in the weekend to add services, and
haven't been able to because there was an "outstanding account", even
though it was literally one day, and due to their own payment system!!

Fred Dagg 02-26-2006 08:41 AM

Re: Mobile internet data costs?

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:34:49 +1300, Waylon Kenning
<use.the.reply.to.header@this.is.fake> exclaimed:

>T'was the Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:36:24 +1300 when I remembered Gordy
><grg7nz@hotmail.com> saying something like this:
>
>>Telecom charge 5c/kByte
>>
>>Vodafone charge 1c/kByte. (10c/10kByte)

>I know if you sign onto their no term Mobilize 3MB plan, it's $10 for
>3MB, then $2 a MB after that, dropping prices way down.

Or $19 for 15MB gives us all the bandwidth we need (and we are
permanently connected for smartphone applications, email, and calendar
sharing).

Stu Fleming 02-26-2006 09:45 AM

Matthew Poole wrote:

> So you're unhappy that a business won't wear customers who don't pay their
> bills?

Not at all. But if my payment is in their system, and their rep is
promising me a better service than Telecom, I don't expect to get cut
off, no.

> Sounds more like you're impressed that Telecom are slack with their debt
> processing - or they're so desperate to keep their customer count high
> that they'll ignore unpaid invoices for months.

Hmmm. Sounds like my TelstraClear account with the $6K outstanding
that's been going for 9 months or so...