Velocity Reviews

-   -   Internet phone calls, computer to landline (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577909-internet-phone-calls-computer-to-landline.html)

mario 02-25-2006 10:06 PM

Internet phone calls, computer to landline

Supposedly calls will only last a minute for free but so far I've talked
for 25 minutes, ChCh to Akl. Bandwidth used was 8k/8k.
Quality of the call was pretty good.

http://internetcalls.com/en/index.html

mario

krazy Bob 02-25-2006 10:13 PM

Re: Internet phone calls, computer to landline

"mario" <expect_meXXX@XXXhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Supposedly calls will only last a minute for free but so far I've talked
> for 25 minutes, ChCh to Akl. Bandwidth used was 8k/8k.
> Quality of the call was pretty good.
>
> http://internetcalls.com/en/index.html
>
> mario

so you download this programe, get your free number, call any landline and
the call is free and you reckon the quality is good?

KB

Nho Whei 02-25-2006 10:47 PM

Re: Internet phone calls, computer to landline

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:13:40 +1300, "krazy Bob" <someone@aol.com>
wrote:

>"mario" <expect_meXXX@XXXhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Supposedly calls will only last a minute for free but so far I've talked
>> for 25 minutes, ChCh to Akl. Bandwidth used was 8k/8k.
>> Quality of the call was pretty good.
>>
>> http://internetcalls.com/en/index.html
>>
>> mario

>so you download this programe, get your free number, call any landline and
>the call is free and you reckon the quality is good?
>
>KB

After a few free calls you'll be invited to continue to call for free
(to the free destinations) by depositing about $NZ18. This will only
be debited when you call a chargeable destinastion.
Yeah - quality is excellent.
Puzzling though are the many names Betamax are using to market what
appears to be an identical product.
Been using it faultlessly for about three weeks.

Nova 02-25-2006 11:03 PM

Nho Whei wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:13:40 +1300, "krazy Bob" <someone@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> "mario" <expect_meXXX@XXXhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Supposedly calls will only last a minute for free but so far I've talked
>>> for 25 minutes, ChCh to Akl. Bandwidth used was 8k/8k.
>>> Quality of the call was pretty good.
>>>
>>> http://internetcalls.com/en/index.html
>>>
>>> mario

>> so you download this programe, get your free number, call any landline and
>> the call is free and you reckon the quality is good?
>>
>> KB

> After a few free calls you'll be invited to continue to call for free
> (to the free destinations) by depositing about $NZ18. This will only
> be debited when you call a chargeable destinastion.
> Yeah - quality is excellent.
> Puzzling though are the many names Betamax are using to market what
> appears to be an identical product.
> Been using it faultlessly for about three weeks.

What is the $18 for?
Is that a one off fee? or does it expire each month/year or something?

What if you never call a destination that costs money? or do they change
the "free" countries every so often?

Sounds good, but sounds too good, so I'm think there is a catch..
obviously they have to make money somehow...

Richard 02-26-2006 04:16 AM

Nova wrote:

> What is the $18 for?
> Is that a one off fee? or does it expire each month/year or something?
>
> What if you never call a destination that costs money? or do they change
> the "free" countries every so often?
>
> Sounds good, but sounds too good, so I'm think there is a catch..
> obviously they have to make money somehow...

More importantly, can I use it with any old sip or iax compliant
software/hardware or am I stuck with a cruddy softphone app? If I have to use
there software then its just as useless as skype.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea 02-26-2006 04:27 AM

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:16:22 +1300, Richard wrote:

> More importantly, can I use it with any old sip or iax compliant
> software/hardware or am I stuck with a cruddy softphone app? If I have to
> use there software then its just as useless as skype.

And it's only available for people running M$ Windows.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they occur when
coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.

Fred Dagg 02-26-2006 05:47 AM

Re: Internet phone calls, computer to landline

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:27:38 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <c@t.com>
exclaimed:

>> More importantly, can I use it with any old sip or iax compliant
>> software/hardware or am I stuck with a cruddy softphone app? If I have to
>> use there software then its just as useless as skype.

>And it's only available for people running M$ Windows.

Oh no!! Only available to 96% of desktop computers... How will they
survive?!?

I can't believe they haven't paid a large amount of money to have
their software ported to every odd OS 3 people might be using...

Stu Fleming 02-26-2006 07:04 AM

Fred Dagg wrote:

> I can't believe they haven't paid a large amount of money to have
> their software ported to every odd OS 3 people might be using...

If it's Open Source, nobody has to pay anyone...and people will just
port it...

Ross 02-26-2006 07:24 AM

Re: Internet phone calls, computer to landline

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:47:56 +1300, Fred Dagg <freddagg@dagg.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:27:38 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <c@t.com>
>exclaimed:
>
>>> More importantly, can I use it with any old sip or iax compliant
>>> software/hardware or am I stuck with a cruddy softphone app? If I have to
>>> use there software then its just as useless as skype.

>>And it's only available for people running M$ Windows.

>Oh no!! Only available to 96% of desktop computers... How will they
>survive?!?
>
>I can't believe they haven't paid a large amount of money to have
>their software ported to every odd OS 3 people might be using...

Bother, I'm out with good ole Windows 98SE. :-(

Daniel 02-26-2006 08:15 AM

Re: Internet phone calls, computer to landline

Yes, i have used them under a different name voipbuster and they changed
the free list after i put money into them... call quality is a little
worse than skypeout.

Daniel