Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help wanted with WGet (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577886-help-wanted-with-wget.html)

Philip 02-22-2006 11:15 AM

Help wanted with WGet

I'm trying to use WGet under Windows XP to download a file each hour and
place it in a specific directory for my radio station playout software
to find.

I have studied the WGet doc file, bujt I cannot find how to force the
file always to be saved in the one specific place. There seems no
command-line parameter to say:
write this file to q:\newsfiles.

What is happening instead is that it writes the file to a directory
named as the IP address of the host. and the subdirectory in which it is
stored on that host. So: 192.168.45.54/feeds/filename.

That would be manageable, if annoying, but it is now taking to creating
another level in the .../feeds subdir called 192.168.45.54/feeds/!

I'm assuming this is a dissonance between the coders of this clever
software, the writers of the dox and me - they see things thru
different glasses than I do.

Can anyone here point me to an answer?

Philip

Allistar 02-22-2006 06:46 PM

Re: Help wanted with WGet

Philip wrote:

> I'm trying to use WGet under Windows XP to download a file each hour and
> place it in a specific directory for my radio station playout software
> to find.
>
> I have studied the WGet doc file, bujt I cannot find how to force the
> file always to be saved in the one specific place. There seems no
> command-line parameter to say:
> write this file to q:\newsfiles.
>
> What is happening instead is that it writes the file to a directory
> named as the IP address of the host. and the subdirectory in which it is
> stored on that host. So: 192.168.45.54/feeds/filename.
>
> That would be manageable, if annoying, but it is now taking to creating
> another level in the .../feeds subdir called 192.168.45.54/feeds/!
>
> I'm assuming this is a dissonance between the coders of this clever
> software, the writers of the dox and me - they see things thru
> different glasses than I do.
>
> Can anyone here point me to an answer?
>
> Philip

Try the "cut-dirs" switch. Something like:

-nH --cutdirs=2

Allistar.

ChrisOD 02-24-2006 09:13 AM

Re: Help wanted with WGet

In article <43fcb185@clear.net.nz>, Allistar wrote:
> Philip wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to use WGet under Windows XP to download a file each hour and
>> place it in a specific directory for my radio station playout software
>> to find.
>>
>> I have studied the WGet doc file, bujt I cannot find how to force the
>> file always to be saved in the one specific place. There seems no
>> command-line parameter to say:
>> write this file to q:\newsfiles.
>>
>> What is happening instead is that it writes the file to a directory
>> named as the IP address of the host. and the subdirectory in which it is
>> stored on that host. So: 192.168.45.54/feeds/filename.
>>
>> That would be manageable, if annoying, but it is now taking to creating
>> another level in the .../feeds subdir called 192.168.45.54/feeds/!
>>
>> I'm assuming this is a dissonance between the coders of this clever
>> software, the writers of the dox and me - they see things thru
>> different glasses than I do.
>>
>> Can anyone here point me to an answer?
>>
>> Philip

> Try the "cut-dirs" switch. Something like:
>
> -nH --cutdirs=2
>
> Allistar.

Or this?

-O --output-document=FILE write documents to FILE.