Velocity Reviews

-   -   imap and evolution (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577882-imap-and-evolution.html)

thingy 02-22-2006 08:37 AM

imap and evolution

Got a wee issue with IMAP and Evolution.

The ~mbox which appears to store INBOX messages, fails to clean out
deleted messages, they disappear from Evolution's INBOX but when I more
the file they are still there, taking up space. I just deleted my old
one as it had grown to 221Mbyte....ouch..I didnt have enough ram to open
it anymore....

Any ideas on how to get deleted files really deleted?

regards

Thing

Shane 02-22-2006 08:56 AM

Re: imap and evolution

On 2006-02-22, thingy <thing@nothere.commy> wrote:
> Got a wee issue with IMAP and Evolution.
>
> The ~mbox which appears to store INBOX messages, fails to clean out
> deleted messages, they disappear from Evolution's INBOX but when I more
> the file they are still there, taking up space. I just deleted my old
> one as it had grown to 221Mbyte....ouch..I didnt have enough ram to open
> it anymore....
>
> Any ideas on how to get deleted files really deleted?
>
> regards
>
> Thing

weird, when I delete a file with kmail.. it *stays* deleted
If you cant find a proper solution, make a folder and store all your deletes
in there, and script a cron job to delete that folders contents..
hourly if need be

A Nice Cup of Tea 02-22-2006 10:40 AM

Re: imap and evolution

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:37:49 +1300, thingy wrote:

> Got a wee issue with IMAP and Evolution.
>
> The ~mbox which appears to store INBOX messages, fails to clean out
> deleted messages, they disappear from Evolution's INBOX but when I more
> the file they are still there, taking up space. I just deleted my old one
> as it had grown to 221Mbyte....ouch..I didnt have enough ram to open it
> anymore....
>
> Any ideas on how to get deleted files really deleted?
>
> regards
>
> Thing

In Evolution, highlight the inbox folder, and then either use <ctrl>e or
click <folder> and then <Expunge>.

That should work for permenantly getting rid of deleted emails.

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
A: because it messes up threading
Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

thingy 02-22-2006 05:47 PM

Re: imap and evolution

A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:37:49 +1300, thingy wrote:
>

>>Got a wee issue with IMAP and Evolution.
>>
>>The ~mbox which appears to store INBOX messages, fails to clean out
>>deleted messages, they disappear from Evolution's INBOX but when I more
>>the file they are still there, taking up space. I just deleted my old one
>>as it had grown to 221Mbyte....ouch..I didnt have enough ram to open it
>>anymore....
>>
>>Any ideas on how to get deleted files really deleted?
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Thing

> In Evolution, highlight the inbox folder, and then either use <ctrl>e or
> click <folder> and then <Expunge>.
>
> That should work for permenantly getting rid of deleted emails.
>

> A Nice Cup of Tea

Thanks, <cntrl> e did it, I wondered if it was an evolution
tweak....225meg, over 5 years built up a bit.....

regards

Thing

A Nice Cup of Tea 02-22-2006 08:22 PM

Re: imap and evolution

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:47:58 +1300, thingy wrote:

> A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:37:49 +1300, thingy wrote:
>>

>>>Got a wee issue with IMAP and Evolution.
>>>
>>>The ~mbox which appears to store INBOX messages, fails to clean out
>>>deleted messages, they disappear from Evolution's INBOX but when I more
>>>the file they are still there, taking up space. I just deleted my old
>>>one as it had grown to 221Mbyte....ouch..I didnt have enough ram to open
>>>it anymore....
>>>
>>>Any ideas on how to get deleted files really deleted?
>>>
>>>regards
>>>
>>>Thing

>> In Evolution, highlight the inbox folder, and then either use <ctrl>e
>> or click <folder> and then <Expunge>.
>>
>> That should work for permenantly getting rid of deleted emails.

> Thanks, <cntrl> e did it, I wondered if it was an evolution
> tweak....225meg, over 5 years built up a bit.....

No probs.

If that's how long you've been using Evolution, then you've been using
Evolution for about six or eight months longer than me. :o)

Had Evolution slowed down much with an inbox file of that sort of size?

I've just been discovering the usefulness of an OCR programme called
Kooka. :o)

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Joe Barr: "So the question is not 'Is Microsoft lying?' It's deeper than
that. The real question is, 'Is Microsoft capable of honesty?' And if you

Allistar 02-22-2006 11:57 PM

Re: imap and evolution

A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:47:58 +1300, thingy wrote:
>
>> A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

>>> In Evolution, highlight the inbox folder, and then either use <ctrl>e
>>> or click <folder> and then <Expunge>.
>>>
>>> That should work for permenantly getting rid of deleted emails.

>> Thanks, <cntrl> e did it, I wondered if it was an evolution
>> tweak....225meg, over 5 years built up a bit.....

> No probs.
>
> If that's how long you've been using Evolution, then you've been using
> Evolution for about six or eight months longer than me. :o)
>
> Had Evolution slowed down much with an inbox file of that sort of size?
>
> I've just been discovering the usefulness of an OCR programme called
> Kooka. :o)

I used evolution for a few years and had a couple of false starts with
KMail. The thing I didn't like about evolution was the lack of KDE
integration. My KDE file type associations weren't honoured, and the file
open/save dialogs are not in the KDE style. In December I moved to KMail
and haven't looked back. When using it in conjunction with Kontact, things
are even better. Couple that with some dcop scripts from SuperKaramba and
my desktop is now much more integrated. (I recommend taking a look at dcop
from the command line, it's amazingly powerful).

Allistar.

A Nice Cup of Tea 02-23-2006 12:28 AM

Re: imap and evolution

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:57:53 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> The thing I didn't like about evolution was the lack of KDE
> integration. My KDE file type associations weren't honoured, and the file
> open/save dialogs are not in the KDE style.

Have you considered the fact that Evolution is not based on KDE, but
rather is based on Gnome libraries?

Evolution and Pan are the only parts of Gnome that I really definitely do
like. I'd really *love* a KDE version of Evolution.

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
A: because it messes up threading
Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

Allistar 02-23-2006 01:31 AM

Re: imap and evolution

A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:57:53 +1300, Allistar wrote:
>
>> The thing I didn't like about evolution was the lack of KDE
>> integration. My KDE file type associations weren't honoured, and the file
>> open/save dialogs are not in the KDE style.

> Have you considered the fact that Evolution is not based on KDE, but
> rather is based on Gnome libraries?

Indeed I have. In the past KMail didn't have the feature set to beat
Evolution. Now it does, and given Evolutions shortcomings on a KDE desktop
I much prefer KMail. (There are still some feature of Evolution I prefer,
such as the way it deals with spam).

> Evolution and Pan are the only parts of Gnome that I really definitely do
> like. I'd really *love* a KDE version of Evolution.

The only Gnome app I regularly use is The Gimp.

> A Nice Cup of Tea

Allistar.

Murray Symon 02-23-2006 07:00 AM

Re: imap and evolution

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:28:26 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:57:53 +1300, Allistar wrote:
>
>> The thing I didn't like about evolution was the lack of KDE integration.
>> My KDE file type associations weren't honoured, and the file open/save
>> dialogs are not in the KDE style.

> Have you considered the fact that Evolution is not based on KDE, but
> rather is based on Gnome libraries?
>
> Evolution and Pan are the only parts of Gnome that I really definitely do
> like. I'd really *love* a KDE version of Evolution.
>

> A Nice Cup of Tea

Pan's not part of the Gnome software "bundle".
It's a separate project, based on GTK+.

For instance, I don't have any Gnomes on my system, but (as you can see)
I am running Pan.

--
Murray.

A Nice Cup of Tea 02-23-2006 10:42 AM

Re: imap and evolution

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:00:35 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:

> Pan's not part of the Gnome software "bundle". It's a separate project,
> based on GTK+.
>
> For instance, I don't have any Gnomes on my system, but (as you can see) I
> am running Pan.

Isn't GTK a part of the Gnome project? Isn't it the widget set used by
Gnome? (I could be wrong)

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
A: because it messes up threading
Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?