Velocity Reviews

-   -   DynDns (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577831-dyndns.html)

Peter 02-15-2006 08:51 PM

DynDns

Hi

Has anyone had luck with this service.. I'm on woosh and have not been able
to get this service running. My page has appeared on my local computer ..
but never on any remote compters (friends)

Any advice appreciated..

Cheers Peter...

JohnO 02-15-2006 08:55 PM

Re: DynDns

Peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has anyone had luck with this service.. I'm on woosh and have not been able
> to get this service running. My page has appeared on my local computer ..
> but never on any remote compters (friends)
>
> Any advice appreciated..
>

> Cheers Peter...
>

> *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
> *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***

It works for me.

You need to run some sort of client on your local computer to advise
the dyndns service of your current WAN IP. In my case, my Netgear ADSL
Modem/Router/Wifi unit knows about dyndns and does this automagically.
Otherwise you need to download a dyndns client and run it on your pc.

Have you opened up the required ports on your firewall?

Peter 02-15-2006 09:00 PM

Re: DynDns

Ports .. Thx... Yes dyndsn mentioned the PORTS..

I have Zone alarm.. I'm looking right now... I'm not too god at this sort of
thing,..so any other advice on the ports would be fantastic...

Thx so much for your quick reply..

news:1140036952.813321.195230@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

Waylon Kenning 02-15-2006 09:02 PM

Re: DynDns

T'was the Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:51:59 +1300 when I remembered "Peter"
<invers@nospam.com> saying something like this:

>Hi
>
>Has anyone had luck with this service.. I'm on woosh and have not been able
>to get this service running. My page has appeared on my local computer ..
>but never on any remote compters (friends)

You need to go onto the dyndns site *every* time you connect your
modem up to the net, to put your latest ip address into dyndns's
database. If you're using Windows (and maybe other operating systems),
there's a little app available on the dyndns website that will do this
automatically for you everytime you connect.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Peter 02-15-2006 09:14 PM

Re: DynDns

Thx so very much guys.... Its was the firewall......

Yes.. Just got that app... shame we all dont have our own personal IPs...Oh
well THX

I'm one happy guy.. Now if I can only get that news server running.. ;)

Fred Dagg 02-15-2006 10:12 PM

Re: DynDns

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:14:09 +1300, "Peter" <invers@nospam.com>
exclaimed:

>Yes.. Just got that app... shame we all dont have our own personal IPs...Oh
>well THX

Hi, Peter.

Most of us do have a static IP, because most ISPs give them out (it's
actually more of a hassle for them to NOT hand out static IPs.

It is just Xtra who insist on charging for something that costs them
nothing.

Waylon Kenning 02-15-2006 10:19 PM

Re: DynDns

T'was the Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:12:58 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
<freddagg@dagg.com> saying something like this:

>It is just Xtra who insist on charging for something that costs them
>nothing.

And Woosh from the looks of it:)
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Peter 02-15-2006 10:35 PM

Re: DynDns

Yes woosh charge for stataic IPs.

I'm happy with woosh except for one main (BIG) issue.. THEY DONT HAVE OR
EVER WANT A NEWS SERVER...So I had to pay (one off fee) to get here
guys....and the botton of my post has adds on it...which I cant stop

Alan 02-16-2006 02:09 AM

Re: DynDns

JC posted a free news server a little while ago:

nntp.aioe.org

HTH,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

6f7chu602@sneakemail.com

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

news:43f3adb5$0$15443$6d36acad@titian.nntpserver.c om...

Steve 02-16-2006 03:26 AM

Re: DynDns

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:12:58 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:14:09 +1300, "Peter" <invers@nospam.com>
> exclaimed:
>

>>Yes.. Just got that app... shame we all dont have our own personal IPs...Oh
>>well THX

> Hi, Peter.
>
> Most of us do have a static IP, because most ISPs give them out (it's
> actually more of a hassle for them to NOT hand out static IPs.

It's harder to set up a DHCP server than to add specific exceptions to it?
I don't think so.