Velocity Reviews

-   -   Xtras spam filtering doesn't work. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577811-xtras-spam-filtering-doesnt-work.html)

Rob 02-14-2006 12:11 AM

Xtras spam filtering doesn't work.

Over the last few months I have been getting a lot of spam coming through on
my xtra email account. I have got it setup in webmail, to automatically
delete spam from the server, however I am still getting about 10-20 spam
coming through a day. I don't believe that their spam filtering is working
anymore, or something has gone wrong with it. It says it uses 'Brightmail',
but 'Brightmail' no long seems to exist and now looks to be Symantec. I have
another email account with another company, and the spam filtering uses
death2spam, and that seems to detect almost all the spam. Anyone else having
a problem with xtras spam filtering service?

XPD 02-14-2006 12:35 AM

Re: Xtras spam filtering doesn't work.

"Rob" <donotspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Over the last few months I have been getting a lot of spam coming through
> on my xtra email account. I have got it setup in webmail, to automatically
> delete spam from the server, however I am still getting about 10-20 spam
> coming through a day. I don't believe that their spam filtering is working
> anymore, or something has gone wrong with it. It says it uses
> 'Brightmail', but 'Brightmail' no long seems to exist and now looks to be
> Symantec. I have another email account with another company, and the spam
> filtering uses death2spam, and that seems to detect almost all the spam.
> Anyone else having a problem with xtras spam filtering service?

My reply to a similar post a while ago....

"Who Am I" <Who@where.when> wrote in message
>I have noticed that since Xtra started selling their internet security
> "package" (what ever that is), there seems to be more spam coming
> through, now if I were of a suspicious nature I would be inclined to say
> they have made their filters "leaky" to encourage you to pay for their
> new system.
>
> Before they started selling it I got 1-4 spams a month, now I can get
> 2-3 a day coming though.
>
> I don't run windows so I can't (and don't want anyway) their pay for
> security suite.
>
> Anyone else have thoughts about this....

You hit it right on the head.
Bascially the ISP (and I know of a few that have done this) still offers a
basic filter for those who dont want the "best" filter.... the basic one
gets updated maybe once a month if youre lucky and the "best" one gets
updated everyday.... eventually (they hope) you'll swap to the better
one.....

Easiest thing to do is to start running your own mailserver......... :)

PC 02-14-2006 12:35 AM

Re: Xtras spam filtering doesn't work.

"Rob" <donotspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Over the last few months I have been getting a lot of spam coming through
> on my xtra email account. I have got it setup in webmail, to automatically
> delete spam from the server, however I am still getting about 10-20 spam
> coming through a day. I don't believe that their spam filtering is working
> anymore, or something has gone wrong with it. It says it uses
> 'Brightmail', but 'Brightmail' no long seems to exist and now looks to be
> Symantec. I have another email account with another company, and the spam
> filtering uses death2spam, and that seems to detect almost all the spam.
> Anyone else having a problem with xtras spam filtering service?

Rob

I concur with your assessment of Xtra's Spam filter performance.
i.e. it's currently "Crap" (tm)

Particularly since Xmas the percentage of detected Spam has been falling to
the point where this morning over 30% of the Spam in my inbox had not been
detected and marked with the [SPAM] tag.

Reasons

There has been speculation that they want users to take up their paid for
McAfee Virus/Spyware/Spam service and to encourage such have been letting
their Brightmail performance slip. (Brightmail is owned by Symantec)
Perhaps the sloth like performance of Symantec's other products is being
introduced to the Brightmail service.
The McAfee suite is not being taken up in my opinion because it is (a)
Grossly unsuitable for a lot of machines Xtra's clients use. (b) Overly
expensive for a rental product.

The other reason is of course tied in with the longer political game that is
going on over the Regulation / Speed / Infrastructure / Marketing /
Proprietry stance that Xtra(Telecom) seems determined to blunder through.

2c
Paul.

Craig Whitmore 02-14-2006 12:55 AM

"PC" <abuse@local.host> wrote in message
> "Rob" <donotspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Over the last few months I have been getting a lot of spam coming through
>> on my xtra email account. I have got it setup in webmail, to
>> automatically

I've love to know what people think of ISP's Spam Filtering..
A Comment that Xtra's doesnt' work "that well", but what about
Paradise/Orcon
IHUG/ICONZ etc. What are people's experiences of other ISP's.

Thanks
Craig

Invisible 02-14-2006 01:45 AM

Re: Xtras spam filtering doesn't work.

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:55:12 +1300, "Craig Whitmore" <lennon@orcon.net.nz>
wrote:

>I've love to know what people think of ISP's Spam Filtering..
>A Comment that Xtra's doesnt' work "that well", but what about
>Paradise/Orcon
>IHUG/ICONZ etc. What are people's experiences of other ISP's.

I get around 6-10 a day on Paradise. Just checked the Spam Folder in the
webmail, and it's caught 5 today so far.

Lynn 02-14-2006 02:29 AM

Invisible wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:55:12 +1300, "Craig Whitmore" <lennon@orcon.net.nz>
> wrote:
>

>>I've love to know what people think of ISP's Spam Filtering..
>>A Comment that Xtra's doesnt' work "that well", but what about
>>Paradise/Orcon
>>IHUG/ICONZ etc. What are people's experiences of other ISP's.

> I get around 6-10 a day on Paradise. Just checked the Spam Folder in the
> webmail, and it's caught 5 today so far.

Before xmas I used to get probably less than 10 a day, since then it has
steadily been building up and I am now getting more like thirty or forty
, if not more as some days I download my mail more than once. I am with
xtra and had the spam filter set to delete all
spam. it is now pretty useless. I use mailwasher as well and this gets
rid of it for me but i dont see how xtra can say they are filtering out
the spam when it is pouring through its filters at this rate.

Dave Taylor 02-14-2006 06:49 AM

"Rob" <donotspam@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1139875729.372222@ftpsrv1:

> Over the last few months I have been getting a lot of spam coming
> through on my xtra email account. I have got it setup in webmail, to
> automatically delete spam from the server, however I am still getting
> about 10-20 spam coming through a day. I don't believe that their spam
> filtering is working anymore, or something has gone wrong with it. It
> says it uses 'Brightmail', but 'Brightmail' no long seems to exist and
> now looks to be Symantec. I have another email account with another
> company, and the spam filtering uses death2spam, and that seems to
> detect almost all the spam. Anyone else having a problem with xtras
> spam filtering service?

What you call spam is most likely what I would call spam too, BUT, unless
your spam filter has a method of allowing you to flag safe and unsafe
content to train it, and fine tune it for your personal tastes, then the
majority of spam will get through as it changes to avoid filters.

I turned off my paradise spam filter and I get about 10 a day to my
account. I keep it all. The reason I keep it is that when you decide to
take matters into your own hands and make your own filter using something
like k-9, or even clark connect, then you have some to pre-feed the
database with. I have found that Office 2003 does a good enough job at the
moment.

--
Ciao, Dave

Craig Sutton 02-14-2006 07:08 AM

"Craig Whitmore" <lennon@orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
> "PC" <abuse@local.host> wrote in message
> > "Rob" <donotspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Over the last few months I have been getting a lot of spam coming

through
> >> on my xtra email account. I have got it setup in webmail, to
> >> automatically

> I've love to know what people think of ISP's Spam Filtering..
> A Comment that Xtra's doesnt' work "that well", but what about
> Paradise/Orcon
> IHUG/ICONZ etc. What are people's experiences of other ISP's.

The one on Ihug works very very well

whoisthis 02-14-2006 07:18 AM

Re: Xtras spam filtering doesn't work.

In article <1139875729.372222@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <donotspam@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Over the last few months I have been getting a lot of spam coming through on
> my xtra email account. I have got it setup in webmail, to automatically
> delete spam from the server, however I am still getting about 10-20 spam
> coming through a day. I don't believe that their spam filtering is working
> anymore, or something has gone wrong with it. It says it uses 'Brightmail',
> but 'Brightmail' no long seems to exist and now looks to be Symantec. I have
> another email account with another company, and the spam filtering uses
> death2spam, and that seems to detect almost all the spam. Anyone else having
> a problem with xtras spam filtering service?

A month or so back I was getting 3-7 spams a WEEK, now I am getting
10-20 a DAY.

I now check the spam manually via the web page and move it into another
folder, this has the effect of leaving the spam on Xtras servers.

My view is if they want to save money by supplying a CRAP service, then
they can keep the spam on their servers and has the issues of storage,
back-up etc.

Thus far over the last 10 days I have about 1Meg of spam stored there,
now imagine what would happen if all 200,000 users did the same..... in
a month they would be looking at storing, backing up and maintaining a
TeraByte of spam or more !

Apart from that, I have now set up a GMail account. This has the
advantage that:
1) They supply a lot more storage than Xtra do
2) They have far better spam filtering
3) They has POP access from anywhere in the world (no more of xtras
crappy webmail system)
4) If you change ISPs then you do not loose your email address.

Craig Whitmore 02-14-2006 07:24 AM

Re: Xtras spam filtering doesn't work.

> The one on Ihug works very very well

Can you give any Stats?

For example you got 1000 email over the last month, 800 of them
where spam correctly classified. 50 Spams where not classified as
spam and it got 5 false positives thinking valid emails where spam

Thanks
Craig
..