Velocity Reviews

-   -   Google at work on desktop Linux (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577724-google-at-work-on-desktop-linux.html)

Mutlley 01-31-2006 11:34 PM

Google at work on desktop Linux

A version of the increasingly popular Ubuntu desktop Linux
distribution, based on Debian and the Gnome desktop, it is known
internally as 'Goobuntu'.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...desktop_linux/

shannon 02-01-2006 12:41 AM

Re: Google at work on desktop Linux

Mutlley wrote:
> A version of the increasingly popular Ubuntu desktop Linux
> distribution, based on Debian and the Gnome desktop, it is known
> internally as 'Goobuntu'.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...desktop_linux/

Its short enough on any specifics to be meaningless.
Perhaps they will make a version of google earth that runs on ubuntu
That would be nice for schools. There are a few other Windows only
Google apps that they could convert too.
For the rest of it, google is already the default search engine in ff on
ubuntu
The ubuntu live cd even includes Windows versions of OpenOffice, Gaim
and Firefox.
They sent me five nicely produced free packs each containing an install
CD and a live CD just for the asking.
If as the writer thinks, the Ubuntu project derives some huge benefit
from Google staff working on Ubuntu, he seems to be unaware that under
ubuntus free software policies and the GPL that every other distribution
will also benefit and of course that can only be a good thing.

Mark Robinson 02-01-2006 04:47 AM

Mutlley wrote:
> A version of the increasingly popular Ubuntu desktop Linux
> distribution, based on Debian and the Gnome desktop, it is known
> internally as 'Goobuntu'.
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...desktop_linux/

Google denies plans to distribute OS based on Ubuntu

1/31/2006 3:01:59 PM, by Anders Bylund

A post on the Register, claiming that Google might be close to rolling out a
"Goobuntu" Linux desktop distro, has been making the usual rounds in the tech
news circuit today. Despite today being earnings release day, presumably a very
busy time at the Google press relations office, technology spokeswoman Sonya
Borälv responded very quickly to my query on the topic. She said that "[w]e use
Ubuntu internally but have no plans to distribute it outside of the company."