Velocity Reviews

-   -   Large Harddrives and installing windows 2000 fresh? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577720-large-harddrives-and-installing-windows-2000-fresh.html)

Pacific Dragon 01-31-2006 07:36 AM

Large Harddrives and installing windows 2000 fresh?

I currently have a 120GB Hard disk SATA bus and a new 250GB IDE hard disk,
but when I try to install windows 2000 fresh using the CD on to the new
250GB hard disk, the installation process can only see about 137GB.

My current existing windows 2000 SP4 install (on the existing 120GB HD) has
48bit LBA enabled and can see the whole 250GB drive. But what exactly do
you do with trying to install a fresh copy of windows 2000 from the
Installation CD on to the 250GB drive?

Following a suggestion I found through Googling, I've tried partitioning
the new disk with the first primary partition as a 40GB volume. When I
attempted to install on the first primary partition, all the partitions on
that disk got totally butchered.

Upon logging back onto my existing windows 2000 install, the 4 partitions I
initially created became one unformatted partition.

Any pointers?

TIA

Dave Taylor 01-31-2006 08:17 AM

Re: Large Harddrives and installing windows 2000 fresh?

Pacific Dragon <usenetreplies@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Any pointers?

Google leads to this:

But what you need to do is "slipstream" SP4 onto your install disk and use
that IIRC.

--
Ciao, Dave

Ray Greene 01-31-2006 08:37 AM

Re: Large Harddrives and installing windows 2000 fresh?

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:36:54 +1300, Pacific Dragon
<usenetreplies@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I currently have a 120GB Hard disk SATA bus and a new 250GB IDE hard disk,
>but when I try to install windows 2000 fresh using the CD on to the new
>250GB hard disk, the installation process can only see about 137GB.
>
>My current existing windows 2000 SP4 install (on the existing 120GB HD) has
>48bit LBA enabled and can see the whole 250GB drive. But what exactly do
>you do with trying to install a fresh copy of windows 2000 from the
>Installation CD on to the 250GB drive?
>
>Following a suggestion I found through Googling, I've tried partitioning
>the new disk with the first primary partition as a 40GB volume. When I
>attempted to install on the first primary partition, all the partitions on
>that disk got totally butchered.
>
>Upon logging back onto my existing windows 2000 install, the 4 partitions I
>initially created became one unformatted partition.

Did you partition the disk during the install or on another machine
beforehand?

I've found that generally Windows will install on a large drive if it was
partitioned and formatted on a machine that can see the full hard drive size.

--
Ray Greene

Rudy Seoa 01-31-2006 09:16 AM

Re: Large Harddrives and installing windows 2000 fresh?

In article <1fon6qdxk9wdx.1sofmi4jpp828.dlg@40tude.net>,
usenetreplies@hotmail.com says...
> I currently have a 120GB Hard disk SATA bus and a new 250GB IDE hard disk,
> but when I try to install windows 2000 fresh using the CD on to the new
> 250GB hard disk, the installation process can only see about 137GB.
>
> My current existing windows 2000 SP4 install (on the existing 120GB HD) has
> 48bit LBA enabled and can see the whole 250GB drive. But what exactly do
> you do with trying to install a fresh copy of windows 2000 from the
> Installation CD on to the 250GB drive?
>
> Following a suggestion I found through Googling, I've tried partitioning
> the new disk with the first primary partition as a 40GB volume. When I
> attempted to install on the first primary partition, all the partitions on
> that disk got totally butchered.
>
> Upon logging back onto my existing windows 2000 install, the 4 partitions I
> initially created became one unformatted partition.
>
> Any pointers?

Start with a blank un-partitioned disk.
Boot from Win2k install CD.
Create *one* ~40Gb partition and format it with NTFS.
Install Win2k then service pack 4 and updates to this partition,
rebooting along the way...
Make the 48bit LBA registry change required and reboot.
Disk Manager should now see the entire drive, and with Disk Manager you
should be able to extend the NTFS partition over the unallocated space.