Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   broadband ,best ISP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577713-broadband-best-isp.html)

macca 01-30-2006 05:46 AM

Re: broadband ,best ISP
 

"XPD" <spamspam@xpd.xpd.co....nz> wrote in message
news:1138649278.734331@drone2-svc-skyt.qsi.net.nz...
>
> "Gary O'Neill" <goneill@win.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:43dde954$1@news.maxnet.co.nz...
>>I am looking at ADSL broadband ,Orcon seems to getting bad ,I am looking
>>at 2mb download 10gb month,best plan seems to be IHUG price wise ,any
>>opinion on them or recommendations for other ISP's
>> gary
>>

>
> Im with Quicksilver on 2mb 4gb International and unlimited NZ traffic. Ive
> only hit the 4gb limit once.
> What do you do with your connection ? Games, leech, email, browse ?
>
>On ihug 2mb 20/20 gig $69:95 and overshoot my cap regularly. Am throttled
>back when cap is reached..however this only kicks in for either the local
>or international seperately so in effect if you cap out on local you may
>still have full speed on the other or vice versa. Mostly Music and movies
>and and almost exclusively using usenet with athena.news & teranews.com the
>first with a 1gig daily cap and athena with a 750 mb daily limit each
>server cost 9 bucks a month..

Works for me..
macca



Gary O'Neill 01-30-2006 10:24 AM

broadband ,best ISP
 
I am looking at ADSL broadband ,Orcon seems to getting bad ,I am looking at
2mb download 10gb month,best plan seems to be IHUG price wise ,any opinion
on them or recommendations for other ISP's
gary



Fred Dagg 01-30-2006 11:10 AM

Re: broadband ,best ISP
 
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:24:19 +1300, "Gary O'Neill" <goneill@win.co.nz>
exclaimed:

>I am looking at ADSL broadband ,Orcon seems to getting bad ,I am looking at
>2mb download 10gb month,best plan seems to be IHUG price wise ,any opinion
>on them or recommendations for other ISP's
>gary
>

Sorry to say it guys, but if you are really just looking for 10GB, you
should probably go with Xtra.

Telecom's screwed up the service offered by the others. It's wrong,
bad, etc, but the fact is, sofar, Xtra appears to be the only ones
that offer a consistently high quality product.

Don't use their DNS, though.

~misfit~ 01-30-2006 11:40 AM

Re: broadband ,best ISP
 
Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:24:19 +1300, "Gary O'Neill" <goneill@win.co.nz>
> exclaimed:
>
>> I am looking at ADSL broadband ,Orcon seems to getting bad ,I am
>> looking at 2mb download 10gb month,best plan seems to be IHUG price
>> wise ,any opinion on them or recommendations for other ISP's
>> gary
>>

> Sorry to say it guys, but if you are really just looking for 10GB, you
> should probably go with Xtra.
>
> Telecom's screwed up the service offered by the others. It's wrong,
> bad, etc, but the fact is, sofar, Xtra appears to be the only ones
> that offer a consistently high quality product.


Sad but true. Telecom seem to have sabotaged their UBS product that they
sell to other ISPs and made it into a very inferior service. How can they
get away with this? This isn't Bolivia. They aren't Microsoft.
--
~misfit~



Peter Huebner 01-30-2006 03:08 PM

Re: broadband ,best ISP
 
In article <43ddfd02$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz says...
> Sad but true. Telecom seem to have sabotaged their UBS product that they
> sell to other ISPs and made it into a very inferior service. How can they
> get away with this? This isn't Bolivia. They aren't Microsoft.


Ah, but they *are* in partnership with the very same, don't forget.

Still, I can only say that I am extremely satisfied with my 1 Mbit/10 GB
connection via Iconz. They're neither flashy nor noisy but performance is
impeccable and rock solid so far (4 months and counting). I'm no massive P2P
user, but downloads from commercial servers _always_ come in at >130 kB/s.
Maybe ~5 disconnects due to 'port error' per month. I'm happy. Better'n
anything I've had via satellite and I am paying less ...

-P.

--
=========================================
firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

Fishb8 01-30-2006 03:57 PM

Re: broadband ,best ISP
 

"Fred Dagg" <freddagg@dagg.com> wrote in message
news:mvsrt1l1j42ii1dpak2luto2ekrqim13qp@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:24:19 +1300, "Gary O'Neill" <goneill@win.co.nz>
> exclaimed:
>
>>I am looking at ADSL broadband ,Orcon seems to getting bad ,I am looking
>>at
>>2mb download 10gb month,best plan seems to be IHUG price wise ,any opinion
>>on them or recommendations for other ISP's
>>gary
>>

> Sorry to say it guys, but if you are really just looking for 10GB, you
> should probably go with Xtra.
>
> Telecom's screwed up the service offered by the others. It's wrong,
> bad, etc, but the fact is, sofar, Xtra appears to be the only ones
> that offer a consistently high quality product.
>
> Don't use their DNS, though.

Really showing my ignorance here, but what's the DNS story and how do I
configure so as not to use it?



Peter 01-30-2006 06:12 PM

Re: broadband ,best ISP
 
~misfit~ wrote:
> Sad but true. Telecom seem to have sabotaged their UBS product that they
> sell to other ISPs and made it into a very inferior service. How can they
> get away with this? This isn't Bolivia. They aren't Microsoft.


Telecom / Xtra certainly appear to be abusing their monopoly position.
A week or 2 back, some technician did something in the exchange that cut my
ADSL connection. Maxnet couldn't fix it, and could only wait for Telecom.
Telecom wouldn't do anything because I wasn't an Xtra customer.

Telecom / Xtra seem to be deliberately trying to screw customers of other
ISPs.


Peter


Collector»NZ 01-30-2006 06:33 PM

Re: broadband ,best ISP
 
Fishb8 wrote:
> "Fred Dagg" <freddagg@dagg.com> wrote in message
> news:mvsrt1l1j42ii1dpak2luto2ekrqim13qp@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:24:19 +1300, "Gary O'Neill" <goneill@win.co.nz>
>> exclaimed:


>>
>> Don't use their DNS, though.

> Really showing my ignorance here, but what's the DNS story and how do I
> configure so as not to use it?
>
>

Domain Name Service and without it you wont get didly squat, it is basically a
big lookup table that converts domain names to addresses that routers
understand [IP] so that you can contact other places in the Internet. Xtras DNS
are IIRC alien.xtra.co.nz and terminator.xtra.co.nz (always figured they were
apt names for them) Also referred to as [202.27.184.3] and [202.27.184.5]

In most Internet connection settings options you get a choice of either using
the auto (DHCP) assigned DNS or setting your own DNS servers address (IP) to use.

--
>>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

================================================== ====================
| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
================================================== ====================
*Slow day Posts Blog*
Pictorial Amusement from the web at http://nzcollector.blogspot.com

XPD 01-30-2006 07:28 PM

Re: broadband ,best ISP
 

"Gary O'Neill" <goneill@win.co.nz> wrote in message
news:43dde954$1@news.maxnet.co.nz...
>I am looking at ADSL broadband ,Orcon seems to getting bad ,I am looking at
>2mb download 10gb month,best plan seems to be IHUG price wise ,any opinion
>on them or recommendations for other ISP's
> gary
>


Im with Quicksilver on 2mb 4gb International and unlimited NZ traffic. Ive
only hit the 4gb limit once.
What do you do with your connection ? Games, leech, email, browse ?



Tony 01-30-2006 09:32 PM

Re: broadband ,best ISP
 
>>> Don't use their DNS, though.
>> Really showing my ignorance here, but what's the DNS story and how do
>> I configure so as not to use it?
>>

> Domain Name Service and without it you wont get didly squat, it is
> basically a big lookup table that converts domain names to addresses
> that routers understand [IP] so that you can contact other places in the
> Internet. Xtras DNS are IIRC alien.xtra.co.nz and terminator.xtra.co.nz
> (always figured they were apt names for them) Also referred to as
> [202.27.184.3] and [202.27.184.5]
>
> In most Internet connection settings options you get a choice of either
> using the auto (DHCP) assigned DNS or setting your own DNS servers
> address (IP) to use.
>


Be aware that the days of being able to pick another ISP's dns servers
to use are over. Recently (and ongoing) all major ISP's have been
locking down external recursive (what you need to use the net) use of
their DNS servers to prevent possible attacks. I would strongly advise
you do not change your DNS settings of what your ISP automatically
assigns you unless you really know what you are doing. (ie run your own
Linux server). There would be dubious advantage to changing unless your
ISP's DNS is seriously flawed anyway, and frankly if it is the ISP has
serious problems.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.