Velocity Reviews

-   -   NZ Telecom have a 3rd rate system (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577710-nz-telecom-have-a-3rd-rate-system.html)

j_luckhurst@hotmail.com 01-30-2006 02:33 AM

NZ Telecom have a 3rd rate system

Today I got so fed up with my internet connection. I just had to
express myself...

I am sick to death with the sub standard system Telecom New Zealand
have in place. If you live just outside of the major cities you are
screwed. I'm lucky on a good day to get a connection of 20kb's per
second. What is the point of me having a 56kb modem if your never ever
likely to see that speed(which today isnt asking much). What a joke
seeing 3rd world countries now have better speeds then us. I can't even
get broadband because guess again the lines are too **** for it...

They have cop-outs as well... They will only investigate if the line
drops below 12kb's. And most of the time you have to prove it and then
they use an excusses like an electric fence is on. When we all know the
exchanges are old and the lines are degraded.

Wake-up Telecom NZ and fix the problems don't hide behind excusses.
It's not as if you don't have the money with record profits being
taken. The line rents are indeed for lines & upgrades not profits.

And yes I could indeed go wireless for extra money. But that is
blackmail... It's a bit like saying I'll cut your legs off but you can
always use your arms for walking...

I don't like blackmail!!!

Here is an interesting fact in the late 1990's New Zealand had one of
the best internet connection statistics til the government sold off
telecom nz. Now it is on par if not behind 3rd world countries.

Fred Dagg 01-30-2006 03:12 AM

Re: NZ Telecom have a 3rd rate system

On 29 Jan 2006 18:33:30 -0800, j_luckhurst@hotmail.com exclaimed:

>Here is an interesting fact in the late 1990's New Zealand had one of
>the best internet connection statistics til the government sold off
>telecom nz. Now it is on par if not behind 3rd world countries.

Um, while I agree with the sentiment, Labour sold off Telecom in
1990...

Xtra wasn't even formed until 1996.

Mutley 01-30-2006 03:19 AM

j_luckhurst@hotmail.com wrote:

>Today I got so fed up with my internet connection. I just had to
>express myself...
>
>I am sick to death with the sub standard system Telecom New Zealand
>have in place. If you live just outside of the major cities you are
>screwed. I'm lucky on a good day to get a connection of 20kb's per
>second. What is the point of me having a 56kb modem if your never ever
>likely to see that speed(which today isnt asking much). What a joke
>seeing 3rd world countries now have better speeds then us. I can't even
>get broadband because guess again the lines are too **** for it...
>
>They have cop-outs as well... They will only investigate if the line
>drops below 12kb's. And most of the time you have to prove it and then
>they use an excusses like an electric fence is on. When we all know the
>exchanges are old and the lines are degraded.
>
>Wake-up Telecom NZ and fix the problems don't hide behind excusses.
>It's not as if you don't have the money with record profits being
>taken. The line rents are indeed for lines & upgrades not profits.
>
>And yes I could indeed go wireless for extra money. But that is
>blackmail... It's a bit like saying I'll cut your legs off but you can
>always use your arms for walking...
>
>I don't like blackmail!!!
>
>Here is an interesting fact in the late 1990's New Zealand had one of
>the best internet connection statistics til the government sold off
>telecom nz. Now it is on par if not behind 3rd world countries.

It was actually sold off in the early 1990s. Maybe you should move
the city..

Mr Undeniably Sluttish 01-30-2006 03:29 AM

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:33:30 -0800, j_luckhurst wrote:

> Wake-up Telecom NZ and fix the problems don't hide behind excusses.
> It's not as if you don't have the money with record profits being
> taken. The line rents are indeed for lines & upgrades not profits.

You are mistaken.

The line rentals are for profits. Telecom has no intention of replacing
equipment unless you, yes *you*, pay for the replacement.

Undeniably Sluttish

--
A year after Bill Gates' company wide email on security, Windows was hit
with several nasty worms including Slammer, Sobig, and Blaster. The viruses

Craig Whitmore 01-30-2006 03:38 AM

Re: NZ Telecom have a 3rd rate system

> I am sick to death with the sub standard system Telecom New Zealand
> have in place. If you live just outside of the major cities you are
> screwed. I'm lucky on a good day to get a connection of 20kb's per
> second. What is the point of me having a 56kb modem if your never ever
> likely to see that speed(which today isnt asking much). What a joke
> seeing 3rd world countries now have better speeds then us. I can't even
> get broadband because guess again the lines are too **** for it...

Have you tried a different brand of modem? There are lots of different types
of Modems out there which all behave quite differently on differnt lines.
When I used to live in Whangarei I lived in about 5 different places and
I had 5 different externals and they all gave different results (or didn't
work
at all at different places)

Thanks
Craig

DakaR 01-30-2006 03:40 AM

Craig Whitmore wrote:

>> I am sick to death with the sub standard system Telecom New Zealand
>> have in place. If you live just outside of the major cities you are
>> screwed. I'm lucky on a good day to get a connection of 20kb's per
>> second. What is the point of me having a 56kb modem if your never ever
>> likely to see that speed(which today isnt asking much). What a joke
>> seeing 3rd world countries now have better speeds then us. I can't even
>> get broadband because guess again the lines are too **** for it...

> Have you tried a different brand of modem? There are lots of different
> types of Modems out there which all behave quite differently on differnt
> lines. When I used to live in Whangarei I lived in about 5 different
> places and I had 5 different externals and they all gave different results
> (or didn't work
> at all at different places)
>
> Thanks
> Craig

The other thing that sometimes works is to put the actual dns and sns
numbers in rather than leaving it at automatic.

Craig Whitmore 01-30-2006 05:23 AM

Re: NZ Telecom have a 3rd rate system

> The other thing that sometimes works is to put the actual dns and sns
> numbers in rather than leaving it at automatic.

This will make 0% difference in the connection rate.

Thanks
Craig

DakaR 01-30-2006 06:52 AM

Craig Whitmore wrote:

>> The other thing that sometimes works is to put the actual dns and sns
>> numbers in rather than leaving it at automatic.

> This will make 0% difference in the connection rate.
>
> Thanks
> Craig

Try it,,, it can effect the stability a lot and because the modem doesn't
have to constantly handshake it can make a lot of difference.

Nho Whei 01-30-2006 07:10 AM

On 29 Jan 2006 18:33:30 -0800, j_luckhurst@hotmail.com wrote:

>Today I got so fed up with my internet connection. I just had to
>express myself...
>
>I am sick to death with the sub standard system Telecom New Zealand
>have in place. If you live just outside of the major cities you are
>screwed. I'm lucky on a good day to get a connection of 20kb's per
>second. What is the point of me having a 56kb modem if your never ever
>likely to see that speed(which today isnt asking much). What a joke
>seeing 3rd world countries now have better speeds then us. I can't even
>get broadband because guess again the lines are too **** for it...
>
>They have cop-outs as well... They will only investigate if the line
>drops below 12kb's. And most of the time you have to prove it and then
>they use an excusses like an electric fence is on. When we all know the
>exchanges are old and the lines are degraded.
>
>Wake-up Telecom NZ and fix the problems don't hide behind excusses.
>It's not as if you don't have the money with record profits being
>taken. The line rents are indeed for lines & upgrades not profits.
>
>And yes I could indeed go wireless for extra money. But that is
>blackmail... It's a bit like saying I'll cut your legs off but you can
>always use your arms for walking...
>
>I don't like blackmail!!!
>
>Here is an interesting fact in the late 1990's New Zealand had one of
>the best internet connection statistics til the government sold off
>telecom nz. Now it is on par if not behind 3rd world countries.

Hi - and sympathies etc.
However, you might want to say what brand/model of modem you have.
Some here will possibly advise how to then optimize settings - or
recommend a change of modem.
Good luck

Stu Fleming 01-30-2006 07:12 AM

DakaR wrote:

> Try it,,, it can effect the stability a lot and because the modem doesn't
> have to constantly handshake it can make a lot of difference.

Not having the service provider drop your connection on the floor after
rehosting their servers on a Sunday night makes a world of difference too...