Velocity Reviews

-   -   HP PSC 1315 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577702-hp-psc-1315-a.html)

geopelia 01-28-2006 02:25 AM

HP PSC 1315

I'm thinking of getting a new printer. (inkjet)
HP PSC 1315 has been recommended. It is a complete printer, scanner etc.
It looks good, but are there any drawbacks to it?

It will mostly be used for printing out emails, letters etc, not photos.

Our present printer is a Lexmark, but it is so hard to find ink cartridges
for it. I did find one eventually, but something inside the cartridge
(driver?) broke down. I suspect it may have been a refilled one, as it just
had a white label stuck on it, unlike the usual packaging of a new one. Same
price though.

I've got the weekend and Monday to decide.

Thank you.

Geopelia

E. Scrooge 01-28-2006 08:50 AM

Re: HP PSC 1315

"geopelia" <phildoran@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of getting a new printer. (inkjet)
> HP PSC 1315 has been recommended. It is a complete printer, scanner etc.
> It looks good, but are there any drawbacks to it?
>
> It will mostly be used for printing out emails, letters etc, not photos.
>
> Our present printer is a Lexmark, but it is so hard to find ink cartridges
> for it. I did find one eventually, but something inside the cartridge
> (driver?) broke down. I suspect it may have been a refilled one, as it
> just
> had a white label stuck on it, unlike the usual packaging of a new one.
> Same
> price though.
>
> I've got the weekend and Monday to decide.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Geopelia

Having seen a cheap HP 1410 in action. The scanning is good, and the
printing is good. The bad news on that printer is the alignment of the
pages. Photos get a border that tapers off. Also for photos it leaves a
clear tab on the end of the paper.
Cheap enough to run.

I like my cheap Canon better. The print quality is slightly better and it
does borderless prints. Cartidges are cheap enough for both printers. The
Canon has a good LCD display.

I'd recommend a Canon , but the HP will do a good enough job for what you
want. Funny thing on the HP, every time you change a cartridge the bugger
wants to print out a test page which it then wants to scan. If it's not
done it will give an error every time you use it and cancel the the error.

E. Scrooge

geopelia 01-28-2006 10:34 AM

Re: HP PSC 1315

> "geopelia" <phildoran@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> > I'm thinking of getting a new printer. (inkjet)
> > HP PSC 1315 has been recommended. It is a complete printer, scanner etc.
> > It looks good, but are there any drawbacks to it?
> >
> > It will mostly be used for printing out emails, letters etc, not photos.
> >
> > Our present printer is a Lexmark, but it is so hard to find ink

cartridges
> > for it. I did find one eventually, but something inside the cartridge
> > (driver?) broke down. I suspect it may have been a refilled one, as it
> > just
> > had a white label stuck on it, unlike the usual packaging of a new one.
> > Same
> > price though.
> >
> > I've got the weekend and Monday to decide.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Geopelia

> Having seen a cheap HP 1410 in action. The scanning is good, and the
> printing is good. The bad news on that printer is the alignment of the
> pages. Photos get a border that tapers off. Also for photos it leaves a
> clear tab on the end of the paper.
> Cheap enough to run.
>
> I like my cheap Canon better. The print quality is slightly better and it
> does borderless prints. Cartidges are cheap enough for both printers.

The
> Canon has a good LCD display.
>
> I'd recommend a Canon , but the HP will do a good enough job for what you
> want. Funny thing on the HP, every time you change a cartridge the bugger
> wants to print out a test page which it then wants to scan. If it's not
> done it will give an error every time you use it and cancel the the error.
>
> E. Scrooge

Thank you Scrooge.

I wonder if the 1315 is better than the 1410

The NetGuide says the scanner is badly aligned. I suppose a bit of trial and
error is needed to find out where to put the object to be scanned..
I've had a look through our Consumers, but they don't seem to have that
model. I'll keep in mind what you say about it wanting to print a test page.

HP PSC 1315 is the one our computer shop recommends, and their technician
can come and get it going. You can't just plug it in with Windows ME.
If it wasn't for the ink problem, I'd stick to our old Lexmark.

Thanks for your help.

Geopelia

E. Scrooge 01-28-2006 11:01 AM

Re: HP PSC 1315

> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>>
>> "geopelia" <phildoran@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> > I'm thinking of getting a new printer. (inkjet)
>> > HP PSC 1315 has been recommended. It is a complete printer, scanner
>> > etc.
>> > It looks good, but are there any drawbacks to it?
>> >
>> > It will mostly be used for printing out emails, letters etc, not
>> > photos.
>> >
>> > Our present printer is a Lexmark, but it is so hard to find ink

> cartridges
>> > for it. I did find one eventually, but something inside the cartridge
>> > (driver?) broke down. I suspect it may have been a refilled one, as it
>> > just
>> > had a white label stuck on it, unlike the usual packaging of a new one.
>> > Same
>> > price though.
>> >
>> > I've got the weekend and Monday to decide.
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>> >
>> > Geopelia

>> Having seen a cheap HP 1410 in action. The scanning is good, and the
>> printing is good. The bad news on that printer is the alignment of the
>> pages. Photos get a border that tapers off. Also for photos it leaves a
>> clear tab on the end of the paper.
>> Cheap enough to run.
>>
>> I like my cheap Canon better. The print quality is slightly better and
>> it
>> does borderless prints. Cartidges are cheap enough for both printers.

> The
>> Canon has a good LCD display.
>>
>> I'd recommend a Canon , but the HP will do a good enough job for what you
>> want. Funny thing on the HP, every time you change a cartridge the
>> bugger
>> wants to print out a test page which it then wants to scan. If it's not
>> done it will give an error every time you use it and cancel the the
>> error.
>>
>> E. Scrooge
>>

> Thank you Scrooge.
>
> I wonder if the 1315 is better than the 1410
>
> The NetGuide says the scanner is badly aligned. I suppose a bit of trial
> and
> error is needed to find out where to put the object to be scanned..
> I've had a look through our Consumers, but they don't seem to have that
> model. I'll keep in mind what you say about it wanting to print a test
> page.
>
> HP PSC 1315 is the one our computer shop recommends, and their technician
> can come and get it going. You can't just plug it in with Windows ME.
> If it wasn't for the ink problem, I'd stick to our old Lexmark.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Geopelia

As long as you've got a USB port you can plug any printer into your PC. The
software with it will help set it up. In the control Panel under printer
you can select the right printer or the new driver that's with your new
printer. It won't take much to get a printer up and running.

With the all in one printers you don't even need the PC on to copy
something. Just put it in the scanner and have a piece of paper ready for
the print out and press either colour copy or black & white copy. Great if
you want to quickly copy photographs that someone is showing you.
It will do good photos but the HP with the tab nonsense makes it a bad
choice for photos.

The 1315 is probably the next model up from the 1410, be bugger all
difference.

One more thing, the HPs feed the paper in the front twist it round a roller
and spit it back out the front. The Canon takes the paper from the back and
shoots it straight through to the front. The software with the HP is
nothing great.

E. Scrooge

geopelia 01-28-2006 09:06 PM

Re: HP PSC 1315

> "geopelia" <phildoran@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> >
> > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

(snip)

> > I wonder if the 1315 is better than the 1410
> >
> > The NetGuide says the scanner is badly aligned. I suppose a bit of trial
> > and
> > error is needed to find out where to put the object to be scanned..
> > I've had a look through our Consumers, but they don't seem to have that
> > model. I'll keep in mind what you say about it wanting to print a test
> > page.
> >
> > HP PSC 1315 is the one our computer shop recommends, and their

technician
> > can come and get it going. You can't just plug it in with Windows ME.
> > If it wasn't for the ink problem, I'd stick to our old Lexmark.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Geopelia

> As long as you've got a USB port you can plug any printer into your PC.

The
> software with it will help set it up. In the control Panel under printer
> you can select the right printer or the new driver that's with your new
> printer. It won't take much to get a printer up and running.
>
> With the all in one printers you don't even need the PC on to copy
> something. Just put it in the scanner and have a piece of paper ready for
> the print out and press either colour copy or black & white copy. Great

if
> you want to quickly copy photographs that someone is showing you.
> It will do good photos but the HP with the tab nonsense makes it a bad
> choice for photos.
>
> The 1315 is probably the next model up from the 1410, be bugger all
> difference.
>
> One more thing, the HPs feed the paper in the front twist it round a

roller
> and spit it back out the front. The Canon takes the paper from the back

and
> shoots it straight through to the front. The software with the HP is
> nothing great.
>
> E. Scrooge

Thank you. I'm saving all this for reference.

Apparently with XP you can plug a printer straight in, but Windows ME needs
various things done with discs etc.. Safer to let the computer man do it,
he can remove some errors at the same time.
We can't afford anything expensive, and don't really need all the bells and
whistles.

Geopelia

E. Scrooge 01-29-2006 02:01 AM

Re: HP PSC 1315

> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>>
>> "geopelia" <phildoran@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

> (snip)
>> >
>> > I wonder if the 1315 is better than the 1410
>> >
>> > The NetGuide says the scanner is badly aligned. I suppose a bit of
>> > trial
>> > and
>> > error is needed to find out where to put the object to be scanned..
>> > I've had a look through our Consumers, but they don't seem to have that
>> > model. I'll keep in mind what you say about it wanting to print a test
>> > page.
>> >
>> > HP PSC 1315 is the one our computer shop recommends, and their

> technician
>> > can come and get it going. You can't just plug it in with Windows ME.
>> > If it wasn't for the ink problem, I'd stick to our old Lexmark.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.
>> >
>> > Geopelia

>> As long as you've got a USB port you can plug any printer into your PC.

> The
>> software with it will help set it up. In the control Panel under printer
>> you can select the right printer or the new driver that's with your new
>> printer. It won't take much to get a printer up and running.
>>
>> With the all in one printers you don't even need the PC on to copy
>> something. Just put it in the scanner and have a piece of paper ready
>> for
>> the print out and press either colour copy or black & white copy. Great

> if
>> you want to quickly copy photographs that someone is showing you.
>> It will do good photos but the HP with the tab nonsense makes it a bad
>> choice for photos.
>>
>> The 1315 is probably the next model up from the 1410, be bugger all
>> difference.
>>
>> One more thing, the HPs feed the paper in the front twist it round a

> roller
>> and spit it back out the front. The Canon takes the paper from the back

> and
>> shoots it straight through to the front. The software with the HP is
>> nothing great.
>>
>> E. Scrooge
>>

> Thank you. I'm saving all this for reference.
>
> Apparently with XP you can plug a printer straight in, but Windows ME
> needs
> various things done with discs etc.. Safer to let the computer man do it,
> he can remove some errors at the same time.
> We can't afford anything expensive, and don't really need all the bells
> and
> whistles.
>
> Geopelia

It's not that bad hooking up a printer to Windows 95 & 98. With Windows ME
it will be much the same. You'll have an install CD with whatever printer
you buy.
You can have more than one printer on your computer, but one printer will be
the default printer while you'll still get to choose the other printer.

The instructions with a printer are easy enough. Once it's running you'll
have to install the ink cartridges - real easy on the Canon as the entire
print head comes out of the printer - put the cartridges in and then replace
the print head. Also if the print head should pack up a new replacement
shouldn't be to difficult.

The instructions with a printer will cover setting up with Windows ME & 98.

I bought the Canon MP110 because my old scanner packed up. The MP110 being
a model that's recently been replaced was being sold off cheap at $99. At
that price there was hardly anything to lose. I had been thinking about
another Epson printer to replace the faithful ink drinking ESC P2. All the
new Epsons look good and 6 individual inks has it's pluses and minuses.
Despite the cheap price the Canon MP110 offers good photo quality. The
little cartridges were suspect, but they turned out to be real light on ink.
Only one colour cartidge at around $35 and a bit cheaper for the black one.
Paper Plus has a special at only $27 for the colour cartridge and about $12
for the black one - genuine Canon cartridges.

Can't plug a camera straight into, but I edit the pictures before printing
them first anyway. Some of the new replacement Canons aren't that much
dearer. The Canon gives good warning on the cartridge levels, you can see
them on the LCD display as well.

No printer will be any harder to install to your computer than any other HP
printer will be.

If the computer man is honest he'll know which is the better printer for the
money. of course the bottom line is that it's your money and your choice.

It's not like you're trying to fit a new CD writer into your PC all by
yourself. A printer is only a matter of plugging it in and installing the
software.

E. Scrooge

geopelia 01-29-2006 10:27 AM

Re: HP PSC 1315

> "geopelia" <phildoran@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> >
> > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "geopelia" <phildoran@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

> > (snip)

> The instructions with a printer are easy enough. Once it's running you'll
> have to install the ink cartridges - real easy on the Canon as the entire
> print head comes out of the printer - put the cartridges in and then

replace
> the print head. Also if the print head should pack up a new replacement
> shouldn't be to difficult.
>
> The instructions with a printer will cover setting up with Windows ME &

98.

> I bought the Canon MP110 because my old scanner packed up. The MP110

being
> a model that's recently been replaced was being sold off cheap at $99. At
> that price there was hardly anything to lose. I had been thinking about
> another Epson printer to replace the faithful ink drinking ESC P2. All

the
> new Epsons look good and 6 individual inks has it's pluses and minuses.
> Despite the cheap price the Canon MP110 offers good photo quality. The
> little cartridges were suspect, but they turned out to be real light on

ink.
> Only one colour cartidge at around $35 and a bit cheaper for the black

one.
> Paper Plus has a special at only $27 for the colour cartridge and about

$12
> for the black one - genuine Canon cartridges.
>
> Can't plug a camera straight into, but I edit the pictures before printing
> them first anyway. Some of the new replacement Canons aren't that much
> dearer. The Canon gives good warning on the cartridge levels, you can see
> them on the LCD display as well.
>
> No printer will be any harder to install to your computer than any other

HP
> printer will be.
>
> If the computer man is honest he'll know which is the better printer for

the
> money. of course the bottom line is that it's your money and your choice.
>
> It's not like you're trying to fit a new CD writer into your PC all by
> yourself. A printer is only a matter of plugging it in and installing the
> software.
>
> E. Scrooge

The HP is the one the computer shop recommends, so I think I'll try that
one. I'll see if they have a Canon there first and compare them though. I'll
save this information about Canon.

Thank you

Geopelia

geopelia 01-31-2006 08:45 PM

Re: HP PSC 1315

> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
> >
> > "geopelia" <phildoran@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

> > > (snip)

> > The instructions with a printer are easy enough. Once it's running

you'll
> > have to install the ink cartridges - real easy on the Canon as the

entire
> > print head comes out of the printer - put the cartridges in and then

> replace
> > the print head. Also if the print head should pack up a new replacement
> > shouldn't be to difficult.
> >
> > The instructions with a printer will cover setting up with Windows ME &

> 98.
> >
> > I bought the Canon MP110 because my old scanner packed up. The MP110

> being
> > a model that's recently been replaced was being sold off cheap at $99.

At
> > that price there was hardly anything to lose. I had been thinking about
> > another Epson printer to replace the faithful ink drinking ESC P2. All

> the
> > new Epsons look good and 6 individual inks has it's pluses and minuses.
> > Despite the cheap price the Canon MP110 offers good photo quality. The
> > little cartridges were suspect, but they turned out to be real light on

> ink.
> > Only one colour cartidge at around $35 and a bit cheaper for the black

> one.
> > Paper Plus has a special at only $27 for the colour cartridge and about

> $12
> > for the black one - genuine Canon cartridges.
> >
> > Can't plug a camera straight into, but I edit the pictures before

printing
> > them first anyway. Some of the new replacement Canons aren't that much
> > dearer. The Canon gives good warning on the cartridge levels, you can

see
> > them on the LCD display as well.
> >
> > No printer will be any harder to install to your computer than any other

> HP
> > printer will be.
> >
> > If the computer man is honest he'll know which is the better printer for

> the
> > money. of course the bottom line is that it's your money and your

choice.

> > It's not like you're trying to fit a new CD writer into your PC all by
> > yourself. A printer is only a matter of plugging it in and installing

the
> > software.
> >
> > E. Scrooge
> >

> The HP is the one the computer shop recommends, so I think I'll try that
> one. I'll see if they have a Canon there first and compare them though.

I'll
> save this information about Canon.
>
> Thank you
>
> Geopelia

I have bought the HP PSC 1315 and the computer man is calling tomorrow to
install it. Been reading the user guide, it will be very handy if we ever
buy a digital camera.

Whether I will have the brains to use it for any more than simple printing
remains to be seen!

Geopelia

E. Scrooge 02-01-2006 02:22 AM

Re: HP PSC 1315

> "geopelia" <phildoran@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> >

>> The HP is the one the computer shop recommends, so I think I'll try that
>> one. I'll see if they have a Canon there first and compare them though.

> I'll
>> save this information about Canon.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Geopelia
>>

> I have bought the HP PSC 1315 and the computer man is calling tomorrow to
> install it. Been reading the user guide, it will be very handy if we ever
> buy a digital camera.
>
> Whether I will have the brains to use it for any more than simple printing
> remains to be seen!
>
> Geopelia

A digital camera is the next step, and when you do get one you really will
be glad that you did. Expect to pay around $300 for a good camera (damn
near anything but a Kodak). 4 megapixels is enough, but even a 3 megapixel
will give good results if it's a Canon like a friend bought a few weeks ago.
I have a 4 mp Olympus, just before Olympus dumped the viewfinder from it's
latest models.
Never buy a digital that doesn't have a viewfinder, trying to see the LCD
screen on the back of it outside in the sun is a bad joke.
The main thing to get with a new camera is a 128MB memory card for it. Also
a Nimh charger and Nimh AA batteries. Energizer has a cheap one with 2
decent AA 2500 batteries with it at the suprermarkets for just over $30.
Once you get over the initial expenses the rest of your photography will be
really cheap and you'll have full control over what you print. You can crop
away a lot of background to show more of your subject in in your prints. My
friend is enjoying his new camera a lot, just took a while to get him to
take plenty of photos each time he used it. As he doesn't have to be stingy
like some people are making each shot count on a film camera. Gives him
more shots to choose the best from afterwards as well.

You might as well get a camera while you're still around to enjoy it. Don't
rush into it though, have a good look around first they all have different
features. The main thing that isn't good on my friend's new Canon is that
irt doesn't have a seperate zoom button for the lens, you can easily change
the settings while trying to zoom if not real careful. Also it can't be
plugged straight into a TV set for viewing the shots to a few people.
Dick Smith have some good genuine specials from time to time.

With the printer. All you'll have to do is plug it in - run the install
software CD - then fit the new ink cartridges while it's switched on so it
can move the print head into position for you. The instructions are quite
clear - the basic instruction guide will sooon have it going.

It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to have it running with the software
installed. And a decent computer guy wouldn't even charge you for such a
simple service - unless he had to travel over 40 miles to get to you.

Here's the cheap Canon I suggested for my friend, it does all he needs:
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XG3009

It's good small camera that can be taken anywhere. The website is wrong
abong about it having a 2 inch screen. It's got a 1.5 inch screen.
When you buy a camera you might like a slightly bigger screen to see the
settings with. The display on the Canon is fairly clear for it's size, and
is an easy point and shoot camera. The viewfinder is big and clear.
Just take the time to check out different good brands when you decide to
look at getting one, some might be easier to use than other.

E. Scrooge

geopelia 02-01-2006 03:45 AM

Re: HP PSC 1315

> [...]

software
> installed. And a decent computer guy wouldn't even charge you for such a
> simple service - unless he had to travel over 40 miles to get to you.
>
> Here's the cheap Canon I suggested for my friend, it does all he needs:

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XG3009

> It's good small camera that can be taken anywhere. The website is wrong
> abong about it having a 2 inch screen. It's got a 1.5 inch screen.
> When you buy a camera you might like a slightly bigger screen to see the
> settings with. The display on the Canon is fairly clear for it's size,

and
> is an easy point and shoot camera. The viewfinder is big and clear.
> Just take the time to check out different good brands when you decide to
> look at getting one, some might be easier to use than other.

Thank you for that very full description, I'll save it. I suppose a digital
camera will be next, but I have to pay over $500 for new glasses (bifocal
and darkening) so it will be a while yet. I like to photograph birds, so
I'll need a zoom. We have Netguide and Consumer to compare the different
models, but it's good to hear from people who have tried them.

Geopelia