Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to change XP log-on? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577691-how-to-change-xp-log-on.html)

~misfit~ 01-26-2006 11:47 PM

How to change XP log-on?

Hey gang,

Since I installed SyncToy, which required me to install Dot.net framework,
every time my PC's monitor switches off (Screen saver) or every time I
re-boot I now have to click my user name to proceed. I didn't used to have
to do this. How do I change it so I don't have to? It's annoying and wastes
time if I turn my PC on, then walk away I come back to it only half-started.

Once again, thanks. Software isn't my fortÚ.
--
~misfit~

Malcolm 01-26-2006 11:53 PM

Re: How to change XP log-on?

~misfit~ wrote:

> Hey gang,
>
> Since I installed SyncToy, which required me to install Dot.net framework,
> every time my PC's monitor switches off (Screen saver) or every time I
> re-boot I now have to click my user name to proceed. I didn't used to have
> to do this. How do I change it so I don't have to? It's annoying and
> wastes time if I turn my PC on, then walk away I come back to it only
> half-started.
>
> Once again, thanks. Software isn't my fortÚ.

Hi
Start->run and type in control userpasswords2 <enter> then uncheck the
'users blah blah blah'

--
Cheers
Malcolm ┬░┬┐┬░

~misfit~ 01-27-2006 03:09 AM

Re: How to change XP log-on?

Malcolm wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Hey gang,
>>
>> Since I installed SyncToy, which required me to install Dot.net
>> framework, every time my PC's monitor switches off (Screen saver) or
>> every time I re-boot I now have to click my user name to proceed. I
>> didn't used to have to do this. How do I change it so I don't have
>> to? It's annoying and wastes time if I turn my PC on, then walk away
>> I come back to it only half-started.
>>
>> Once again, thanks. Software isn't my fort.

> Hi
> Start->run and type in control userpasswords2 <enter> then uncheck the
> 'users blah blah blah'

Thanks Malcolm. Hopefully that's fixed it. I don't know why Windows insists
on making changes I don't want.
--
~misfit~

Malcolm 01-27-2006 03:43 AM

Re: How to change XP log-on?

~misfit~ wrote:

> Malcolm wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> Hey gang,
>>>
>>> Since I installed SyncToy, which required me to install Dot.net
>>> framework, every time my PC's monitor switches off (Screen saver) or
>>> every time I re-boot I now have to click my user name to proceed. I
>>> didn't used to have to do this. How do I change it so I don't have
>>> to? It's annoying and wastes time if I turn my PC on, then walk away
>>> I come back to it only half-started.
>>>
>>> Once again, thanks. Software isn't my fort.

>> Hi
>> Start->run and type in control userpasswords2 <enter> then uncheck the
>> 'users blah blah blah'

> Thanks Malcolm. Hopefully that's fixed it. I don't know why Windows
> insists on making changes I don't want.

Hush and go stand in the corner young man! Bill knows best..... ;-)

~misfit~ 01-27-2006 04:21 AM

Re: How to change XP log-on?

Malcolm wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Malcolm wrote:

>>> Hi
>>> Start->run and type in control userpasswords2 <enter> then uncheck
>>> the 'users blah blah blah'

>> Thanks Malcolm. Hopefully that's fixed it. I don't know why Windows
>> insists on making changes I don't want.

> Hush and go stand in the corner young man! Bill knows best..... ;-)

Heh!

Doing as you suggested created a problem for me though. The machine booted
into windows for me without me having to click anything but as
Administrator. This wouldn't bother me except I have everything the way I
like it under my profile (which is in the group 'administators' anyway). I
started changing the 'Administrator' settings etc. then realising how long
it was going to take me, logged out and logged in under my user name.

Is there a way I can make my user the default? I've put the setting back the
way it was in the meantime.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

Malcolm 01-27-2006 04:37 AM

Re: How to change XP log-on?

~misfit~ wrote:

> Malcolm wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> Thanks Malcolm. Hopefully that's fixed it. I don't know why Windows
>>> insists on making changes I don't want.

>> Hush and go stand in the corner young man! Bill knows best..... ;-)

> Heh!
>
> Doing as you suggested created a problem for me though. The machine booted
> into windows for me without me having to click anything but as
> Administrator. This wouldn't bother me except I have everything the way I
> like it under my profile (which is in the group 'administators' anyway). I
> started changing the 'Administrator' settings etc. then realising how long
> it was going to take me, logged out and logged in under my user name.
>
> Is there a way I can make my user the default? I've put the setting back
> the way it was in the meantime.
>
> Cheers,

When you uncheck the box and hit apply it should ask the user name to login
and password? Well it does for me...?

~misfit~ 01-27-2006 05:07 AM

Re: How to change XP log-on?

Malcolm wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Malcolm wrote:

>>> Hush and go stand in the corner young man! Bill knows best..... ;-)

>> Heh!
>>
>> Doing as you suggested created a problem for me though. The machine
>> booted into windows for me without me having to click anything but as
>> Administrator. This wouldn't bother me except I have everything the
>> way I like it under my profile (which is in the group
>> 'administators' anyway). I started changing the 'Administrator'
>> settings etc. then realising how long it was going to take me,
>> logged out and logged in under my user name.
>>
>> Is there a way I can make my user the default? I've put the setting
>> back the way it was in the meantime.
>>
>> Cheers,

> When you uncheck the box and hit apply it should ask the user name to
> login and password? Well it does for me...?

Ahh, ok. I think it did that. (D'oh!) I'll try again.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

~misfit~ 01-27-2006 10:20 AM

Re: How to change XP log-on?

~misfit~ wrote:
> Malcolm wrote:
>> When you uncheck the box and hit apply it should ask the user name to
>> login and password? Well it does for me...?

> Ahh, ok. I think it did that. (D'oh!) I'll try again.

Yeah, you da man! I just clicked out of it last time and it has
'Administrator" as default, I left it. I've since done it properly, changed
it to my user account. Why is this simple stuff hidden in command line mode?
Surely that screen could have been included in Control Panel instead of
having to type some obscure command into a box?

And what's with the "ASP.NET machine account"? It's a password-protected
account *I* didn't install. I thought this was my computer? Just when I find
MS have done something right (SyncToy) I'm confronted with this
high-handedness. <shakes head>

As I don't know what that account is or does I'm gonna disable fast user
switching. I'd delete the account but that would probably get me an
un-bootable HDD. Might have to Google it.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

Dave Taylor 01-27-2006 12:28 PM

Re: How to change XP log-on?

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz> wrote in

> Might have to Google it.

It is a system account, google it...

Interestingly, going from a user account to running things in a system
account is one of the most common ways to hack a pc to elevate privilages.
That wall between accounts is sometimes not as strong as one would like,
heck, even the help in Symantec AV had a hole there...

--
Ciao, Dave

~misfit~ 01-27-2006 12:58 PM

Re: How to change XP log-on?

Dave Taylor wrote:
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz> wrote in
>
>> Might have to Google it.

> It is a system account, google it...
>
> Interestingly, going from a user account to running things in a system
> account is one of the most common ways to hack a pc to elevate
> privilages. That wall between accounts is sometimes not as strong as
> one would like, heck, even the help in Symantec AV had a hole there...

Bloody MS. I'll check it out tomorrow, just about bed time now. I have a
torrent just finished I want to watch (in the bedroom).

Cheers,
--
~misfit~