Velocity Reviews

-   -   Page File usage in XP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577686-page-file-usage-in-xp.html)

Nathan Mercer 01-26-2006 09:27 AM

Re: Page File usage in XP

S Roby wrote:

> I'm running XP with 1G of RAM
> So why have I got 129M of pagefile usage??

Processes ask for an allocation of Virtual memory space from the
system, and they may ask for a lot more memory than what they ever
actually use. That memory space has to come from somewhere. When you
have a pagefile the system can allocate it into there, otherwise it has
to be assigned into real RAM, stopping you from "using" it.

Cheers
Nathan

-=rjh=- 01-26-2006 10:07 AM

Re: Page File usage in XP

S Roby wrote:
> I'm running XP with 1G of RAM
> So why have I got 129M of pagefile usage??

Oh, you are probably running Firefox

:-)

S Roby 01-26-2006 10:12 AM

Page File usage in XP

Dave Doe 01-26-2006 02:49 PM

Re: Page File usage in XP

In article <Fn0Cf.22791$vH5.960040@news.xtra.co.nz>, email@gooble.gooble
says...
> I'm running XP with 1G of RAM
> So why have I got 129M of pagefile usage??

Shouldn't you have your pagefile settings at:
1536/1536

IIRC MS recommend 1.5 x RAM.

--
Duncan

XP 01-26-2006 08:32 PM

Re: Page File usage in XP

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:12:12 GMT, email@gooble.gooble (S Roby) wrote:

>I'm running XP with 1G of RAM
>So why have I got 129M of pagefile usage??

Far to low it should use all that is Free.

I have set mine to 500megs as it was up in the gig range

Crash 01-27-2006 07:30 AM

Re: Page File usage in XP

Nathan Mercer wrote:
> S Roby wrote:
>

>>I'm running XP with 1G of RAM
>>So why have I got 129M of pagefile usage??

> Processes ask for an allocation of Virtual memory space from the
> system, and they may ask for a lot more memory than what they ever
> actually use. That memory space has to come from somewhere. When you
> have a pagefile the system can allocate it into there, otherwise it has
> to be assigned into real RAM, stopping you from "using" it.

I am no Windows programmer but I am curious about the statement that processes
can ask for virtual memory.

I would have thought that 'processes' could ask for memory and that the OS would
determine if real or virtual memory was allocated. Is this not the case?

Crash

S Roby 01-27-2006 08:10 AM

Re: Page File usage in XP

In article <1138267667.569419.108890@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups .com>, "Nathan Mercer" <nmercer@gmail.com> wrote:

>S Roby wrote:
>
>> I'm running XP with 1G of RAM
>> So why have I got 129M of pagefile usage??

>Processes ask for an allocation of Virtual memory space from the
>system, and they may ask for a lot more memory than what they ever
>actually use. That memory space has to come from somewhere. When you
>have a pagefile the system can allocate it into there, otherwise it has
>to be assigned into real RAM, stopping you from "using" it.

True
But I have RAM to burn (1G)
Are some processes programed to use x amont of vitual ram??

I used to just disable the page file (set to 0M)
Worked fine except my (old) epson injet refused to print

S Roby 01-27-2006 08:10 AM

Re: Page File usage in XP

In article <43d8a191@news.orcon.net.nz>, -=rjh=- <usually@mail.com> wrote:
>S Roby wrote:
>> I'm running XP with 1G of RAM
>> So why have I got 129M of pagefile usage??

>Oh, you are probably running Firefox

yes

S Roby 01-27-2006 08:11 AM

Re: Page File usage in XP

In article <MPG.1e43a888bd9aa572989bce@news.paradise.net.nz >, Dave Doe <hard@work.ok> wrote:
>In article <Fn0Cf.22791$vH5.960040@news.xtra.co.nz>, email@gooble.gooble
>says...
>> I'm running XP with 1G of RAM
>> So why have I got 129M of pagefile usage??

>Shouldn't you have your pagefile settings at:
>1536/1536
>
>IIRC MS recommend 1.5 x RAM.

Doesnt this go back to the old days of Win3.1 when 8M was alot of RAM

S Roby 01-27-2006 08:12 AM

Re: Page File usage in XP

In article <sccit19gl9kr5u664fbti81406pbd53obs@4ax.com>, XP <xp@nospam.comn> wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:12:12 GMT, email@gooble.gooble (S Roby) wrote:
>
>>I'm running XP with 1G of RAM
>>So why have I got 129M of pagefile usage??

>Far to low it should use all that is Free.
>
>I have set mine to 500megs as it was up in the gig range

Mine is set to 500M
129M is being used