Velocity Reviews

-   -   HP School Computers Ha Ha Ha (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577680-hp-school-computers-ha-ha-ha.html)

SchoolTech 01-26-2006 02:21 AM

HP School Computers Ha Ha Ha

Like, does HP even sell computers to schools?

How do you get them interested?

Tried to contact New Era IT, their listed agent, three times with no reply.

Tried the address on the HP NZ website - also no reply.

Are there other brandname PCs that sell into the NZ schools market I
should be looking at (apart from Acer) ?

Reuben Schwarz 01-26-2006 02:41 AM

Re: HP School Computers Ha Ha Ha

Have you tried Dell or Toshiba?

EMB 01-26-2006 03:48 AM

SchoolTech wrote:
> Like, does HP even sell computers to schools?
>
> How do you get them interested?
>
> Tried to contact New Era IT, their listed agent, three times with no reply.
>
> Tried the address on the HP NZ website - also no reply.
>
> Are there other brandname PCs that sell into the NZ schools market I
> should be looking at (apart from Acer) ?

IBM

--
EMB

Ray Greene 01-26-2006 07:15 AM

Re: HP School Computers Ha Ha Ha

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:21:51 +1300, SchoolTech
<schoolcomputertech@education.nz> wrote:

>Like, does HP even sell computers to schools?
>
>How do you get them interested?
>
>Tried to contact New Era IT, their listed agent, three times with no reply.
>
>Tried the address on the HP NZ website - also no reply.
>
>Are there other brandname PCs that sell into the NZ schools market I
>should be looking at (apart from Acer) ?

It's a pain when they don't even want to take your money.

If you do manage to find someone who'll sell you HP, the model to get is the
successor to the former Compaq DeskPro (HP bought Compaq as you're probably
aware).

The latest model we bought at work was an HP dc5100c (that could possibly be
dc5300c now, I don't remember for certain).

Anyway these things are bulletproof, way better than some models that HP
make. We have a client who buys them literally by the container load and
their IT guys love them, they just go forever even in very nasty industrial
environments. We have over 20 of them of various ages at work. They are more
expensive than some brands but we found out the hard way that it was well
worth the money.

Don't let the sales droids put you off. These are nice machines.

--
Ray Greene

Aldrin Fabricius 01-26-2006 09:31 AM

Re: HP School Computers Ha Ha Ha

Schools are too small and insignificant to even register on HP's radar,
unless it spins off some positive PR to bolster it's bottom line. I
could be wrong but unless you can present a good case to management it
is the same old saying "what can you do for me today".

Evans 01-26-2006 10:47 AM

Re: HP School Computers Ha Ha Ha

HP has 1 specific model - dx2000 for education institution, it has either a
Celeron 2.53GHz or P4 2.8GHz model. Problem is it has only XP Home so I
don't think they are designed for network use.

They do have a dx5150 series - Athlon64 CPU with XP Pro and some even with
1GB RAM, more expensive though.

Have you tried Telecom - they are reselling dx5150, sometimes even with a
lower than cost price...

Good luck, email me if you need more info.

steve 01-26-2006 10:57 AM

SchoolTech wrote:

> Like, does HP even sell computers to schools?
>
> How do you get them interested?
>
> Tried to contact New Era IT, their listed agent, three times with no
> reply.
>
> Tried the address on the HP NZ website - also no reply.
>
> Are there other brandname PCs that sell into the NZ schools market I
> should be looking at (apart from Acer) ?

Schools usually get special pricing with low markups, so few sales reps will
waste time on schools if they have anything more profitable to spend ther
time on.

Having said that, IBM used to have a sales rep who dealt only with schools.
But that was about 7 years ago....and IBM has since sold it's PC business
to a Chinese company.

steve 01-26-2006 10:59 AM

steve wrote:

> Schools usually get special pricing with low markups, so few sales reps
> will waste time on schools if they have anything more profitable to spend
> ther time on.

.....will NOT waste time.....

SchoolTech 01-26-2006 02:31 PM

Re: HP School Computers Ha Ha Ha

On 25 Jan 2006 18:41:58 -0800, "Reuben Schwarz"
<reuben.schwarz@dompost.co.nz> wrote:

>Have you tried Dell or Toshiba?

Toshiba's a desktop retailer? First I heard.

SchoolTech 01-26-2006 02:31 PM

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:48:21 +1300, EMB <embtwo@gmail.com> wrote:

>SchoolTech wrote:
>> Like, does HP even sell computers to schools?
>>
>> How do you get them interested?
>>
>> Tried to contact New Era IT, their listed agent, three times with no reply.
>>
>> Tried the address on the HP NZ website - also no reply.
>>
>> Are there other brandname PCs that sell into the NZ schools market I
>> should be looking at (apart from Acer) ?

>IBM

Who's their agent?