Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wireless Router/Access point for 802.11G (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577669-wireless-router-access-point-for-802-11g.html)

aldrin@xtra.co.nz 01-25-2006 12:48 PM

Wireless Router/Access point for 802.11G

Hi Guys/Gals! I need some advice/recommendations/feedback for a sub
$200 wireless router/access point for my home network. Features I'm
looking for are web filtering, vpn access, spi firewall, messenger
filtering, dhcp server, inbuilt switch, good security encryption,web
configurable and portable to various OS like linux, windows and Mac OS
X. There are hundreds of choices out there all touting how great each
product performs, so what I'm really after are some opinions from the
everyday geek who will willingly give an honest unbiased opinion from
his/her own personal experience with the equipment.Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Maximum Damage 01-25-2006 09:43 PM

Re: Wireless Router/Access point for 802.11G

aldrin@xtra.co.nz wrote:
> Hi Guys/Gals! I need some advice/recommendations/feedback for a sub
> $200 wireless router/access point for my home network. Features I'm
> looking for are web filtering, vpn access, spi firewall, messenger
> filtering, dhcp server, inbuilt switch, good security encryption,web
> configurable and portable to various OS like linux, windows and Mac OS
> X. There are hundreds of choices out there all touting how great each
> product performs, so what I'm really after are some opinions from the
> everyday geek who will willingly give an honest unbiased opinion from
> his/her own personal experience with the equipment.Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

Linksys WRT54G with third party DD-WRT firmware. $153 from Ascent.
Stay away from D-Link!

grumpyoldhori 01-25-2006 09:55 PM

aldrin@xtra.co.nz wrote:

> Hi Guys/Gals! I need some advice/recommendations/feedback for a sub
> $200 wireless router/access point for my home network. Features I'm
> looking for are web filtering, vpn access, spi firewall, messenger
> filtering, dhcp server, inbuilt switch, good security encryption,web
> configurable and portable to various OS like linux, windows and Mac OS
> X. There are hundreds of choices out there all touting how great each
> product performs, so what I'm really after are some opinions from the
> everyday geek who will willingly give an honest unbiased opinion from
> his/her own personal experience with the equipment.Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

Go to this page http://openwrt.org/.

There is about a months reading.
While you do not have to change over to Openwrt,the hardware
that is compatable is the best.
DO NOT BUY A VERSION 5 WRT54G,they do not run linux as
firmware,
grumpy

Maximum Damage 01-25-2006 10:19 PM

grumpyoldhori wrote:

> Go to this page http://openwrt.org/.
>
> There is about a months reading.
> While you do not have to change over to Openwrt,the hardware
> that is compatable is the best.
> DO NOT BUY A VERSION 5 WRT54G,they do not run linux as
> firmware,
> grumpy

Further to this the WRT54G v4 is the last of the routers that run Linux,
The next model that runs linux as firmware (such as OpenWRT, DD-WRT) is
the WRT54GL.
TechPacific the Linksys distributor in NZ, are still selling the v4 as
of last week.

shannon 01-25-2006 11:35 PM

aldrin@xtra.co.nz wrote:
> Hi Guys/Gals! I need some advice/recommendations/feedback for a sub
> $200 wireless router/access point for my home network. Features I'm
> looking for are web filtering, vpn access, spi firewall, messenger
> filtering, dhcp server, inbuilt switch, good security encryption,web
> configurable and portable to various OS like linux, windows and Mac OS
> X. There are hundreds of choices out there all touting how great each
> product performs, so what I'm really after are some opinions from the
> everyday geek who will willingly give an honest unbiased opinion from
> his/her own personal experience with the equipment.Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

I'm using a wrt54g with hyperwrt/tofu
http://www.polarcloud.com/tofu

The firmware is what makes a good router, and there are more options
with the wrt than anything else, QoS, UPnP, static DHCP, adjustable
power, antenna selection, all comes with the custom firmware.
The stock firmware also had some issues with bittorrent DHT UPnP etc,
read the utorrent or azureus faqs if this means anything to you.

m@t@1 01-26-2006 04:30 AM

Re: Wireless Router/Access point for 802.11G

Thanks for the prompt responses!! Looks like all the options you have
presented covers what i was after. Later Guys!

Aldrin Fabricius 01-26-2006 05:11 AM

Re: Wireless Router/Access point for 802.11G

You guys are great! Many thanks for the prompt responses.

Gordon 01-26-2006 05:53 AM

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 04:48:26 -0800, aldrin@xtra.co.nz wrote:

> Hi Guys/Gals! I need some advice/recommendations/feedback for a sub
> $200 wireless router/access point for my home network. Features I'm
> looking for are web filtering, vpn access, spi firewall, messenger
> filtering, dhcp server, inbuilt switch, good security encryption,web
> configurable and portable to various OS like linux, windows and Mac OS
> X. There are hundreds of choices out there all touting how great each
> product performs, so what I'm really after are some opinions from the
> everyday geek who will willingly give an honest unbiased opinion from
> his/her own personal experience with the equipment.Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

Psst. An ethernet socket will ensure that almost all OS known to person
will work.

Web interfaces are ubiquitous these days on routers, modems, NAS, etc.

Final thought. These machine have a Penguin ( Linux/Open source ) software
in them. Ms Penguin loves to talk to everybody.

Gordon 01-26-2006 05:58 AM

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:43:17 +1300, Maximum Damage wrote:

> Linksys WRT54G with third party DD-WRT firmware. $153 from Ascent.
> Stay away from D-Link!

In your view, why?

grumpyoldhori 01-26-2006 07:39 AM

shannon wrote:

> The firmware is what makes a good router, and there are more options
> with the wrt than anything else, QoS, UPnP, static DHCP, adjustable
> power, antenna selection, all comes with the custom firmware.
> The stock firmware also had some issues with bittorrent DHT UPnP etc,
> read the utorrent or azureus faqs if this means anything to you.

Have you tried the STA -client mode, Shannon,if so,what
sort of results.
grumpy