Velocity Reviews

-   -   protected storage server wants to send udp? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577658-protected-storage-server-wants-to-send-udp.html)

outofdate 01-24-2006 10:01 PM

protected storage server wants to send udp?

My firewall program reports that protected storage server from my computer
wants to send udp data to an address on port 137. Since I have never seen
this been reported before I am worried that my computer has been infiltrated
in some way, maybe I have a trojan or something like it but as I am next to
clueless on the stuff that firewall reports on I would appreciate some
advice.

outofdate 01-24-2006 10:03 PM

Re: protected storage server wants to send udp?

"outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
> My firewall program reports that protected storage server from my computer
> wants to send udp data to an address on port 137. Since I have never seen
> this been reported before I am worried that my computer has been

infiltrated
> in some way, maybe I have a trojan or something like it but as I am next

> clueless on the stuff that firewall reports on I would appreciate some
> advice.

Woops i forgot to say that i am running win98se, firefox and tiny personal
firewall.

Mark Robinson 01-25-2006 01:20 AM

outofdate wrote:
> My firewall program reports that protected storage server from my computer
> wants to send udp data to an address on port 137. Since I have never seen
> this been reported before I am worried that my computer has been infiltrated
> in some way, maybe I have a trojan or something like it but as I am next to
> clueless on the stuff that firewall reports on I would appreciate some
> advice.

Port 137 is used by windows networking for the netbios name service so you may
see legitimate traffic there if you are using file shareing or internet
connection sharing.

It's also notoriously insecure and used as a vector by a number of viruses.
Such a virus may explain the appearance of the traffic you are seeing.

Peter Huebner 01-25-2006 05:49 AM

Re: protected storage server wants to send udp?

In article <43d6a3c7$1@clear.net.nz>, outofdate@computer says...
> My firewall program reports that protected storage server from my computer
> wants to send udp data to an address on port 137. Since I have never seen
> this been reported before I am worried that my computer has been infiltrated
> in some way, maybe I have a trojan or something like it but as I am next to
> clueless on the stuff that firewall reports on I would appreciate some
> advice.

Firewall 135-139 to/from the outside of your lan. They're favourite targets.

Internally it's netbios - part of the software that makes 'network
neighbourhood' work, so I wouldn't necessarily obsess about seeing internal
traffic there ;-) Just make sure you've file and printer sharing disabled on
your internet connection and your machine shouldn't try to look for other parts
of the lan around the big wide world.

o.t.o.h. if it was persistently and repeatedly trying to connect to a specific
outside domain or IP on port 137 then I would start thinking about doing some
detective work.

-P.

outofdate 01-25-2006 07:37 AM

"Mark Robinson" <usenet@antispam.zl2tod.net> wrote in message
> outofdate wrote:
> > My firewall program reports that protected storage server from my

computer
> > wants to send udp data to an address on port 137. Since I have never

seen
> > this been reported before I am worried that my computer has been

infiltrated
> > in some way, maybe I have a trojan or something like it but as I am next

> > clueless on the stuff that firewall reports on I would appreciate some
> > advice.

> Port 137 is used by windows networking for the netbios name service so you

may
> see legitimate traffic there if you are using file shareing or internet
> connection sharing.
>
> It's also notoriously insecure and used as a vector by a number of

viruses.
> Such a virus may explain the appearance of the traffic you are seeing.

Thanks.
Did a nortons antivirus scan with latest definitions but no viruses reported
but I don't trust that that means there is no virus.

outofdate 01-25-2006 07:39 AM

"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
news:MPG.1e41d8946d622a60989806@news.individual.ne t...
> In article <43d6a3c7$1@clear.net.nz>, outofdate@computer says...
> > My firewall program reports that protected storage server from my

computer
> > wants to send udp data to an address on port 137. Since I have never

seen
> > this been reported before I am worried that my computer has been

infiltrated
> > in some way, maybe I have a trojan or something like it but as I am next

> > clueless on the stuff that firewall reports on I would appreciate some
> > advice.
> >

> Firewall 135-139 to/from the outside of your lan. They're favourite

targets.

> Internally it's netbios - part of the software that makes 'network
> neighbourhood' work, so I wouldn't necessarily obsess about seeing

internal
> traffic there ;-) Just make sure you've file and printer sharing disabled

on
> your internet connection and your machine shouldn't try to look for other

parts
> of the lan around the big wide world.
>
> o.t.o.h. if it was persistently and repeatedly trying to connect to a

specific
> outside domain or IP on port 137 then I would start thinking about doing

some
> detective work.
>
> -P.

Thanks for that although I still find it strange that the thing i reported
would happen at all, it has never happened before and I was doing nothing
special so why all of a sudden does my computer want to send information
that is suppose to be secure.