Velocity Reviews

-   -   trouble with sound... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577638-trouble-with-sound.html)

cowboyz 01-21-2006 05:40 AM

trouble with sound...

Asus A7S8X-MX board

Onboard ADI AD1888 soundMax 6 channel with S/PDIF out

So everything installed ok. Sound drivers are there. app in systray says
that the sound is installed and working ok.

But can't hear anything. at all.

Speakers are tested and good.

turned sound off in bios. uninstalled sound drivers and apps.

turned sound back on in bios and reinstalled sound off original disc.
Still the same. No sound.

Any ideas?

Krazy Bob 01-21-2006 08:14 AM

Re: trouble with sound...

"cowboyz" <cowboyz@here.now> wrote in message
> Asus A7S8X-MX board
>
> Onboard ADI AD1888 soundMax 6 channel with S/PDIF out
>
> So everything installed ok. Sound drivers are there. app in systray says
> that the sound is installed and working ok.
>
> But can't hear anything. at all.
>
> Speakers are tested and good.
>
> turned sound off in bios. uninstalled sound drivers and apps.
>
> turned sound back on in bios and reinstalled sound off original disc.
> Still the same. No sound.
>

> Any ideas?

is the volume up? (its the little things that get over looked most often)
have you selected input/output devices?

tested speakers on another system?

KB

cowboyz 01-21-2006 08:34 AM

Re: trouble with sound...

Krazy Bob wrote:
> "cowboyz" <cowboyz@here.now> wrote in message
>> Asus A7S8X-MX board
>>
>> Onboard ADI AD1888 soundMax 6 channel with S/PDIF out
>>
>> So everything installed ok. Sound drivers are there. app in
>> systray says that the sound is installed and working ok.
>>
>> But can't hear anything. at all.
>>
>> Speakers are tested and good.
>>
>> turned sound off in bios. uninstalled sound drivers and apps.
>>
>> turned sound back on in bios and reinstalled sound off original disc.
>> Still the same. No sound.
>>

>> Any ideas?
>>

> is the volume up? (its the little things that get over looked most
> often)

yes

>have you selected input/output devices?

yes

> tested speakers on another system?

yes

still no go. I am pointing toward hardware faultly.

DakaR 01-21-2006 08:49 AM

Re: trouble with sound...

cowboyz wrote:

> still no go. I am pointing toward hardware faultly.
>
>> KB

Does it have a line out plug....try the speakers in that (it will be
quieter) might be a dry joint in the speaker out plug.

Mark Robinson 01-21-2006 08:58 AM

Re: trouble with sound...

cowboyz wrote:
> Asus A7S8X-MX board
>
> Onboard ADI AD1888 soundMax 6 channel with S/PDIF out
>
> So everything installed ok. Sound drivers are there. app in systray says
> that the sound is installed and working ok.
>
> But can't hear anything. at all.
>
> Speakers are tested and good.
>
> turned sound off in bios. uninstalled sound drivers and apps.
>
> turned sound back on in bios and reinstalled sound off original disc.
> Still the same. No sound.
>
> Any ideas?

Do the speakers have built in amplifiers ?

Some don't and you'll hear nothing driving them from a line level output.

Some soundcards include an amplifier and even jumpers to select whether the
output is line level or speaker level. Speaker level output will work into a
line input, but dumb speakers will make no noise from a line output.

Find a 3.2mm stereo to two RCA plugs lead an run it through a stereo - much better.

DakaR 01-21-2006 09:03 AM

Re: trouble with sound...

Mark Robinson wrote:

> cowboyz wrote:
>> Asus A7S8X-MX board
>>

> Some soundcards include an amplifier and even jumpers to select whether
> the output is line level or speaker level. Speaker level output will work
> into a line input, but dumb speakers will make no noise from a line
> output.
>
> Find a 3.2mm stereo to two RCA plugs lead an run it through a stereo -
> much better.

Off topic but yes...I have a 5.1 amped system hooked to my soundcard and
the line out feeds to the stereo which has surround sound :) So 10 speakers
all up...Smoke on the Water sounds awesome :)

Baloo 01-21-2006 09:29 PM

Re: trouble with sound...

DakaR wrote:
> Mark Robinson wrote:
>
>> cowboyz wrote:
>>> Asus A7S8X-MX board
>>>

>> Some soundcards include an amplifier and even jumpers to select whether
>> the output is line level or speaker level. Speaker level output will work
>> into a line input, but dumb speakers will make no noise from a line
>> output.
>>
>> Find a 3.2mm stereo to two RCA plugs lead an run it through a stereo -
>> much better.

> Off topic but yes...I have a 5.1 amped system hooked to my soundcard and
> the line out feeds to the stereo which has surround sound :) So 10 speakers
> all up...Smoke on the Water sounds awesome :)

Just a random thought

Some mother boards have jumpers to direct the sound output to the rear
speakers sockets or to the front speakers....

Baloo

cowboyz 01-22-2006 05:55 AM

Re: trouble with sound...

> Just a random thought
>
> Some mother boards have jumpers to direct the sound output to the rear
> speakers sockets or to the front speakers....
>
> Baloo

cant find anything in in manual indicating this on this board

cowboyz 01-23-2006 06:32 AM

Re: trouble with sound...

>> Just a random thought
>>
>> Some mother boards have jumpers to direct the sound output to the rear
>> speakers sockets or to the front speakers....
>>
>> Baloo

> cant find anything in in manual indicating this on this board

ok. he brought his computer over here (it is hear now) and plugged the
S/PIF output into my 5.1 sound system and it works great.

SO how do you change the sound to use the "normal"speaker ports??
nothing in the bios or software to indicate except the "use S/PIF sound" in
control panel and when that is unticked I am back to no sound anywhere.

Any ideas?

Rob J 01-23-2006 07:03 AM

Re: trouble with sound...

In article <43d2a992$1@news.orcon.net.nz>,
w.d.mcrobie@NOSPAMorcon.net.nz says...
> DakaR wrote:
> > Mark Robinson wrote:

> >> Some soundcards include an amplifier and even jumpers to select whether
> >> the output is line level or speaker level. Speaker level output will work
> >> into a line input, but dumb speakers will make no noise from a line
> >> output.
> >>
> >> Find a 3.2mm stereo to two RCA plugs lead an run it through a stereo -
> >> much better.

> > Off topic but yes...I have a 5.1 amped system hooked to my soundcard and
> > the line out feeds to the stereo which has surround sound :) So 10 speakers
> > all up...Smoke on the Water sounds awesome :)

> Just a random thought
>
> Some mother boards have jumpers to direct the sound output to the rear
> speakers sockets or to the front speakers....

Open the volume control and make sure you have ALL the playback controls
displayed (tick all the boxes).

My Realtek onboard sound has extra faders for the front pink and green
jacks. No sound will go through these jacks if the FPink/FGreen fader is
right down. Likewise for the rear sound output, it has an extra fader
called "Front" (for front speakers) (and also Rear for rear speakers, if
four or six speakers are enabled), if this is right down no sound will
come out.

Later Realteks usually have a sound manager that sits in the system tray
with settings for 2, 4 or 6 speakers. You probably need a decoder for
5.1