Velocity Reviews

-   -   BSOD on Toshiba Laptop (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577625-bsod-on-toshiba-laptop.html)

GJ 01-19-2006 06:10 PM

BSOD on Toshiba Laptop

I have been getting the BSOD on my laptop, Toshiba Tecra M2, WinXP SP1.

I have noticed they only seem to happen when either Azureus is running
or my wife in in MSN Groups in IE.

I have searched and cannot seem to find the cause. Any ideas?

GJ

randomiser 01-19-2006 07:49 PM

Re: BSOD on Toshiba Laptop

"GJ" <GJ@GJ.GJ> wrote in message news:43cfd620$1@clear.net.nz...
>I have been getting the BSOD on my laptop, Toshiba Tecra M2, WinXP SP1.
>
> I have noticed they only seem to happen when either Azureus is running or
> my wife in in MSN Groups in IE.
>
> I have searched and cannot seem to find the cause. Any ideas?
>
> GJ

Yeah. Your machine is b0rked by a bunch of nasties because you haven't
installed SP2 and/or subsequent patches. FWIW, I've been using a Toshiba
notebook running WinXP for the last three years and have never experienced a
blue screen.

Krazy Bob 01-19-2006 08:52 PM

Re: BSOD on Toshiba Laptop

"GJ" <GJ@GJ.GJ> wrote in message news:43cfd620$1@clear.net.nz...
>I have been getting the BSOD on my laptop, Toshiba Tecra M2, WinXP SP1.
>
> I have noticed they only seem to happen when either Azureus is running or
> my wife in in MSN Groups in IE.
>
> I have searched and cannot seem to find the cause. Any ideas?
>
> GJ

Don't laptops have a hidden secure partion on the hard drive where you can
enter into the bios and restore to factory settings?

KB

Bret 01-20-2006 03:49 AM

Re: BSOD on Toshiba Laptop

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:49:57 +1300, "randomiser"
<randomiser@ahlpqyvbdsselpmnqgcjutasvj.com> wrote:

>"GJ" <GJ@GJ.GJ> wrote in message news:43cfd620$1@clear.net.nz...
>>I have been getting the BSOD on my laptop, Toshiba Tecra M2, WinXP SP1.
>>
>> I have noticed they only seem to happen when either Azureus is running or
>> my wife in in MSN Groups in IE.
>>
>> I have searched and cannot seem to find the cause. Any ideas?
>>
>> GJ

>Yeah. Your machine is b0rked by a bunch of nasties because you haven't
>installed SP2 and/or subsequent patches. FWIW, I've been using a Toshiba
>notebook running WinXP for the last three years and have never experienced a
>blue screen.

Did you untick the box that allows you to see blue screens?

Dave Taylor 01-20-2006 08:15 AM

Re: BSOD on Toshiba Laptop

"Krazy Bob" <KB@dontspam.com> wrote in

> Don't laptops have a hidden secure partion on the hard drive where you
> can enter into the bios and restore to factory settings?

Some do,
My wife's Tecra (different than the OP's) came with ghost images and a
script to launch them. Great script, lets you keep other partitions, like
if you installed a dual boot to a different OS or just blow it all away and
fdisk the entire drive...

--
Ciao, Dave