Velocity Reviews

-   -   Anybody got any ideas? - Fomat problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577609-anybody-got-any-ideas-fomat-problem.html)

Artie Fishol 01-16-2006 07:14 AM

Anybody got any ideas? - Fomat problem

Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted by
a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.

When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try to
load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to read
the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems and
I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might help...
(desperation move).
Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would be
gratefully received

Thanks in advance

steve 01-16-2006 07:29 AM

Re: Anybody got any ideas? - Fomat problem

Artie Fishol wrote:

> Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted
> by a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
>
> When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
> previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
> installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
> FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try to
> load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to read
> the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems
> and I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might
> help... (desperation move).
> Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would be
> gratefully received
>
> Thanks in advance

You could try re-partitioning it with a Linux "live" bootable CD (Knoppix or
some other)......as Linux partitition tools typically can see and work with
a much wider range of disc structures than XP can.

I would re-partition with a bootable Linux CD.....then try again.

I'm sure there are other answers.....but this isn't a bad one. :-)

Artie Fishol 01-16-2006 08:07 AM

"steve" <steve@orconsjustfullofnews.org.nz> wrote in message
> Artie Fishol wrote:
>
> > Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted
> > by a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
> >
> > When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
> > previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
> > installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
> > FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try

> > load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to

read
> > the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems
> > and I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might
> > help... (desperation move).
> > Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would

be
> > gratefully received
> >
> > Thanks in advance

> You could try re-partitioning it with a Linux "live" bootable CD (Knoppix

or
> some other)......as Linux partitition tools typically can see and work

with
> a much wider range of disc structures than XP can.
>
> I would re-partition with a bootable Linux CD.....then try again.
>
> I'm sure there are other answers.....but this isn't a bad one. :-)

Thanks for your reply, I'll try that.

Mark Robinson 01-16-2006 08:14 AM

Artie Fishol wrote:
> Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted by
> a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
>
> When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
> previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
> installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
> FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try to
> load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to read
> the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems and
> I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might help...
> (desperation move).
> Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would be
> gratefully received
>
> Thanks in advance

You may have managed to create a partition structure which thinks the drive is
bigger than the drive thinks it is ... try making the last partition slightly
smaller.

T A R T 01-16-2006 09:09 AM

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:14:36 +0100, Artie Fishol <whois@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted
> by
> a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
>
> When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
> previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
> installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
> FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try
> load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to
> read
> the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems
> and
> I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might help...
> (desperation move).
> Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would be
> gratefully received
>
> Thanks in advance

I think I had this very problem about a week ago... but perhaps my case is
different. I had two HDDs in the system. Removing one and then installing
XP on the primary master seemed to work ok. I then attached the 2nd HDD
once everything was done.
Worked out well, after much frustration.

My wife is a big beautiful Nubian queen. I prefer her any day to the media
and fashion industry created ideal of a beautiful woman. Many African men
regard and appreciate a plump, robust, and shapely female as a gracious
gift from the holy hosts of heaven.

Anthony Okosun, Baltimore, USA.

Rob J 01-16-2006 11:48 AM

Re: Anybody got any ideas? - Fomat problem

In article <43cb4d2f@news.orcon.net.nz>,
steve@orconsjustfullofnews.org.nz says...
> Artie Fishol wrote:
>
> > Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted
> > by a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
> >
> > When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
> > previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
> > installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
> > FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try to
> > load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to read
> > the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems
> > and I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might
> > help... (desperation move).
> > Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would be
> > gratefully received
> >
> > Thanks in advance

> You could try re-partitioning it with a Linux "live" bootable CD (Knoppix or
> some other)......as Linux partitition tools typically can see and work with
> a much wider range of disc structures than XP can.
>
> I would re-partition with a bootable Linux CD.....then try again.
>
> I'm sure there are other answers.....but this isn't a bad one. :-)

It is. You shouldn't rely on non-Windows tools to partition Windows
discs.

Steve 01-16-2006 05:09 PM

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:14:36 +1300, Artie Fishol wrote:

> Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted by
> a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
>
> When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
> previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
> installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
> FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try to
> load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to read
> the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems and
> I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might help...
> (desperation move).
> Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would be
> gratefully received
>
> Thanks in advance

Is your disk set to 'Cable Select', and not 'Primary' or 'Secondary'? I've
had problems when I haven't used CS.

Steve

PC 01-17-2006 09:42 AM

"Artie Fishol" <whois@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted
> by
> a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
>
> When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
> previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
> installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
> FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try to
> load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to read
> the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems
> and
> I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might help...
> (desperation move).
> Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would be
> gratefully received
>
> Thanks in advance

You may need to go to the drive manufacturers website and download their
Utilities program and use this to 'Zero' the drive.
(write zero's to every part of the drive)
Takes some time but you end up with 'all' the corrupted data on the drive
cleared away.
XP's install routine should then see a new unpartitioned drive and install
as normal.

The manufacturers utility will also have a short and long test routine in it
that will be worth running first.

Cheers
Paul.

~misfit~ 01-17-2006 11:51 PM

PC wrote:
> "Artie Fishol" <whois@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was
>> formatted by
>> a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
>>
>> When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive
>> (was previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as
>> the installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both
>> NTFS and FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully.
>> But when I try to load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads
>> that it is unable to read the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh?
>> Scandisk can find no problems and
>> I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might
>> help... (desperation move).
>> Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they
>> would be gratefully received
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>

> You may need to go to the drive manufacturers website and download
> their Utilities program and use this to 'Zero' the drive.
> (write zero's to every part of the drive)
> Takes some time but you end up with 'all' the corrupted data on the
> drive cleared away.
> XP's install routine should then see a new unpartitioned drive and
> install as normal.
>
> The manufacturers utility will also have a short and long test
> routine in it that will be worth running first.

I've found that not all manufacturers look after their customers so well. I
have a Samsung 80GB drive that the previous owner allowed to get too hot so
that now won't boot and I can't get Windows to set up on it. (I use it for
data, it's fine for that. Every time I defrag it however it tells me
certain parts of the MFT are corrupt/lost). I didn't have any luck finding a
decent ultility from Samsung to diagnose/repair it.

However, I have Seagate Seatools on a bootable CD-R in my drawer. It's
excellent and virtually all my drives are are Seagate anyway.
--
~misfit~

Sharktyymbfj 01-18-2006 12:49 AM

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
> PC wrote:
>> "Artie Fishol" <whois@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was
>>> formatted by
>>> a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
>>>
>>> When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive
>>> (was previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as
>>> the installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both
>>> NTFS and FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully.
>>> But when I try to load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads
>>> that it is unable to read the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh?
>>> Scandisk can find no problems and
>>> I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might
>>> help... (desperation move).
>>> Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they
>>> would be gratefully received
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>

>> You may need to go to the drive manufacturers website and download
>> their Utilities program and use this to 'Zero' the drive.
>> (write zero's to every part of the drive)
>> Takes some time but you end up with 'all' the corrupted data on the
>> drive cleared away.
>> XP's install routine should then see a new unpartitioned drive and
>> install as normal.
>>
>> The manufacturers utility will also have a short and long test
>> routine in it that will be worth running first.

> I've found that not all manufacturers look after their customers so well.
> have a Samsung 80GB drive that the previous owner allowed to get too hot
> so that now won't boot and I can't get Windows to set up on it. (I use it
> for
> data, it's fine for that. Every time I defrag it however it tells me
> certain parts of the MFT are corrupt/lost). I didn't have any luck finding
> decent ultility from Samsung to diagnose/repair it.
>
> However, I have Seagate Seatools on a bootable CD-R in my drawer. It's
> excellent and virtually all my drives are are Seagate anyway.

You do know that you can use Seatools to diagnose other makes of drives,
don't you?

--
Sharktyymbfj

Newsgroups - For those who can't afford vanity publishing.