Velocity Reviews

-   -   Tabbed Explorer Alternatives? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577563-tabbed-explorer-alternatives.html)

kriskirk@hotmail.com 01-11-2006 12:28 AM

Tabbed Explorer Alternatives?

Can anyone recommend an alternative to Windows Explorer that has tabbed
viewing? I've downloaded a few but they don't do quite what I'm after.

Essentially I want a separate copy of Windows Explorer per tab, but all
the ones I've downloaded have one folder treeview on the left, and then
the details pane is tabbed. I want a separate folder treeview per tab.

Kristofer Clayton 01-11-2006 04:52 AM

Re: Tabbed Explorer Alternatives?

On 10 Jan 2006 16:28:25 -0800, kriskirk@hotmail.com wrote:

>Can anyone recommend an alternative to Windows Explorer that has tabbed
>viewing? I've downloaded a few but they don't do quite what I'm after.

Have you tried www.trackerv3.com ? It seems like it may do what you
require.
--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

kriskirk@hotmail.com 01-11-2006 07:16 AM

Re: Tabbed Explorer Alternatives?

> Have you tried www.trackerv3.com ? It seems like it may do what you
> require.

Hmmm, not bad, I'll give it a go. The only thing I'm not sure about is
the way there is only one folder treeview, but at least it jumps to the
appropriate folder when the tabs change.

Dave Doe 01-11-2006 11:36 PM

Re: Tabbed Explorer Alternatives?

In article <1136939305.385105.236390@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups .com>,
kriskirk@hotmail.com says...
> Can anyone recommend an alternative to Windows Explorer that has tabbed
> viewing? I've downloaded a few but they don't do quite what I'm after.
>
> Essentially I want a separate copy of Windows Explorer per tab, but all
> the ones I've downloaded have one folder treeview on the left, and then
> the details pane is tabbed. I want a separate folder treeview per tab.

I use Netcaptor - URL at the obvious. I find it excellent.

--
Duncan

-=rjh=- 01-12-2006 12:32 AM

Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <1136939305.385105.236390@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups .com>,
> kriskirk@hotmail.com says...
>
>>Can anyone recommend an alternative to Windows Explorer that has tabbed
>>viewing? I've downloaded a few but they don't do quite what I'm after.
>>
>>Essentially I want a separate copy of Windows Explorer per tab, but all
>>the ones I've downloaded have one folder treeview on the left, and then
>>the details pane is tabbed. I want a separate folder treeview per tab.

> I use Netcaptor - URL at the obvious. I find it excellent.

You've just been confused by Microsoft's illogical naming scheme - Apple
may have got "Finder" first, but MS didn't have to go and compensate by
calling everything "Explorer" :-)

The OP was asking about Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer. To
further confuse matters, the default Windows interface is called
Explorer, too.

xbeat@gmx.net 01-30-2006 05:37 PM

Re: Tabbed Explorer Alternatives?

FYI: TrackerV3 is no more. It's now called XYplorer.
http://www.xyplorer.com/

David 02-02-2006 07:31 AM

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Dave Doe wrote:
>> In article <1136939305.385105.236390@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups .com>,
>> kriskirk@hotmail.com says...
>>
>>> Can anyone recommend an alternative to Windows Explorer that has tabbed
>>> viewing? I've downloaded a few but they don't do quite what I'm after.
>>>
>>> Essentially I want a separate copy of Windows Explorer per tab, but all
>>> the ones I've downloaded have one folder treeview on the left, and then
>>> the details pane is tabbed. I want a separate folder treeview per tab.

>> I use Netcaptor - URL at the obvious. I find it excellent.
>>

> You've just been confused by Microsoft's illogical naming scheme - Apple
> may have got "Finder" first, but MS didn't have to go and compensate by
> calling everything "Explorer" :-)
>
> The OP was asking about Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer. To
> further confuse matters, the default Windows interface is called
> Explorer, too.

Although since Windows 98 there is very little difference between the
all three, you'll notice that your windows explorer windows and the
destkop interface thingy, "Explorer" are all running from the same
instance of "explorer.exe" and that if you type http://blah or C:\blah
in the address bars of internet explorer or windows explorer the result
is almost identical.