Velocity Reviews

-   -   What is right 'name' for the Windows XP SP2 install CD? - helping my uncle (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577534-what-is-right-name-for-the-windows-xp-sp2-install-cd-helping-my-uncle.html)

Mark C 01-09-2006 02:10 AM

What is right 'name' for the Windows XP SP2 install CD? - helping my uncle

My uncle recently had a trojan. After it was removed, Windows File
Protection put up a dialog to replace unknown programs with good
versions. It asked for "Insert Windows XP Professional Service Pack
2 CD"

My uncle only has a (logoed, hologramed, looks legit) XP SP1a (?) CD
and this was rejected, so we canceled out.

It looks like he's been given an XP SP1a disk with his computer, but
the drive has been installed from an SP2 install disk.

I've suggested he contact the people he bought the computer from and
get an SP2 install disk, so we can run SFC.EXE (System File Checker
which checks system files and replaces unknown versions), but the
disk they gave him still gives the message above. I suspect they
have given him a disk with the SP2 patch on it, instead of a full
install disk.

What CD should he ask his support for, what's it called so they
understand and give him the correct one?

Thanks,
Mark

Rob J 01-09-2006 03:06 AM

Re: What is right 'name' for the Windows XP SP2 install CD? - helping my uncle

In article <43c1c5ff$0$27104$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
mark.c@somewhere.invalid says...
> My uncle recently had a trojan. After it was removed, Windows File
> Protection put up a dialog to replace unknown programs with good
> versions. It asked for "Insert Windows XP Professional Service Pack
> 2 CD"
>
> My uncle only has a (logoed, hologramed, looks legit) XP SP1a (?) CD
> and this was rejected, so we canceled out.
>
> It looks like he's been given an XP SP1a disk with his computer, but
> the drive has been installed from an SP2 install disk.
>
> I've suggested he contact the people he bought the computer from and
> get an SP2 install disk, so we can run SFC.EXE (System File Checker
> which checks system files and replaces unknown versions), but the
> disk they gave him still gives the message above. I suspect they
> have given him a disk with the SP2 patch on it, instead of a full
> install disk.
>
> What CD should he ask his support for, what's it called so they
> understand and give him the correct one?

Just reinstall from scratch.

Brett Roberts 01-09-2006 03:39 AM

"Mark C" <mark.c@somewhere.invalid> wrote in message
> My uncle recently had a trojan. After it was removed, Windows File
> Protection put up a dialog to replace unknown programs with good
> versions. It asked for "Insert Windows XP Professional Service Pack
> 2 CD"
>
> My uncle only has a (logoed, hologramed, looks legit) XP SP1a (?) CD
> and this was rejected, so we canceled out.
>
> It looks like he's been given an XP SP1a disk with his computer, but
> the drive has been installed from an SP2 install disk.
>
> I've suggested he contact the people he bought the computer from and
> get an SP2 install disk, so we can run SFC.EXE (System File Checker
> which checks system files and replaces unknown versions), but the
> disk they gave him still gives the message above. I suspect they
> have given him a disk with the SP2 patch on it, instead of a full
> install disk.
>
> What CD should he ask his support for, what's it called so they
> understand and give him the correct one?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

The OEM CD I have in front of me is marked "Microsoft Windows XP
Professional" and has a small "includes Service Pack 2" notation on it. If
you have an older version of Windows XP CD you should be able to install
from that and then install SP2. If you need an "official" SP2 CD please let
me know and I'll mail you one

Brett Roberts
Microsoft NZ

SteveM 01-09-2006 04:37 AM

Re: What is right 'name' for the Windows XP SP2 install CD? - helping my uncle

Mark C <mark.c@somewhere.invalid> wrote in

> My uncle recently had a trojan. After it was removed, Windows File
> Protection put up a dialog to replace unknown programs with good
> versions. It asked for "Insert Windows XP Professional Service Pack
> 2 CD"
>
> My uncle only has a (logoed, hologramed, looks legit) XP SP1a (?) CD
> and this was rejected, so we canceled out.
>
> It looks like he's been given an XP SP1a disk with his computer, but
> the drive has been installed from an SP2 install disk.
>
> I've suggested he contact the people he bought the computer from and
> get an SP2 install disk, so we can run SFC.EXE (System File Checker
> which checks system files and replaces unknown versions), but the
> disk they gave him still gives the message above. I suspect they
> have given him a disk with the SP2 patch on it, instead of a full
> install disk.
>
> What CD should he ask his support for, what's it called so they
> understand and give him the correct one?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

If you can get out of the SFC process then just run SP2 over the top of
what you have.

Or maybe decompress the service pack into a directory and point the SFC
process at that.. (not sure if that would work though...)

Stolen from
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

Obtain the Full Network Install version of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (272
MB), which you can download from the Microsoft Web site or copy from the
Windows XP SP2 CD-ROM. The download version of this file is named
WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe, while the CD version is called xpsp2.exe.
However, both are identical, save for the name. For this reason, I will
refer to the simpler xpsp2.exe below, but you can substitute WindowsXP-
KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe for that if needed. (You can also rename WindowsXP-
KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe to xpsp2.exe if you'd like.) Now, create a new folder
called sp2 on the C drive (C:\sp2) and then copy this file to that
location.

Now, you need to extract the SP2 files. To do so, open up a command line
window by navigating to Start, and then Run, and typing "cmd" (no quotes);
then hit ENTER. Then, using the following commands, navigate to that folder
and extract the files (Note that the text [ENTER] means hit the ENTER key):

cd \
cd sp2
xpsp2.exe -x:c:\sp2 [ENTER]

Your computer will seem to pause for a bit, and then an Extracting Files
dialog will come up and display the progress.

When the extraction is done, if you navigate to C:\sp2 with Windows
Explorer, you'll see a new folder called i386 that contains the extracted
files.

SteveM

Impossible 01-09-2006 04:54 AM

"SteveM" <sdmcc@ihugyou.co.nz> wrote in message
news:Xns9746B3BCD485Esdmccremovemeparadis@203.109. 252.31...
> [...]

> location.
>
> Now, you need to extract the SP2 files. To do so, open up a command
> line
> window by navigating to Start, and then Run, and typing "cmd" (no
> quotes);
> then hit ENTER. Then, using the following commands, navigate to that
> folder
> and extract the files (Note that the text [ENTER] means hit the
> ENTER key):
>
> cd \
> cd sp2
> xpsp2.exe -x:c:\sp2 [ENTER]
>
> Your computer will seem to pause for a bit, and then an Extracting
> Files
> dialog will come up and display the progress.
>
> When the extraction is done, if you navigate to C:\sp2 with Windows
> Explorer, you'll see a new folder called i386 that contains the

Better yet, use the slipstreaming process to create a new installation
disk updated to SP2:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

This makes both repairs and new installations much simpler.

Gordon 01-09-2006 08:20 AM

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:10:07 +0000, Mark C wrote:

> I've suggested he contact the people he bought the computer from and
> get an SP2 install disk, so we can run SFC.EXE (System File Checker
> which checks system files and replaces unknown versions), but the
> disk they gave him still gives the message above. I suspect they
> have given him a disk with the SP2 patch on it, instead of a full
> install disk.

The MS SP2 disk was given away as if there were nothing but virus and
other bad stuff coming at your PC awhile ago. Surely MS still have a few
copies on hand.

Jerry 01-09-2006 09:24 AM

Gordon wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:10:07 +0000, Mark C wrote:
>

>>I've suggested he contact the people he bought the computer from and
>>get an SP2 install disk, so we can run SFC.EXE (System File Checker
>>which checks system files and replaces unknown versions), but the
>>disk they gave him still gives the message above. I suspect they
>>have given him a disk with the SP2 patch on it, instead of a full
>>install disk.

> The MS SP2 disk was given away as if there were nothing but virus and
> other bad stuff coming at your PC awhile ago. Surely MS still have a few
> copies on hand.

it looks like you can still order it
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...s/default.mspx

or someone can surely loan you one, or copy it for you.

Robert Cooze 01-09-2006 05:46 PM

Impossible wrote:
> [...]

>>folder
>>and extract the files (Note that the text [ENTER] means hit the
>>ENTER key):
>>
>>cd \
>>cd sp2
>>xpsp2.exe -x:c:\sp2 [ENTER]
>>
>>Your computer will seem to pause for a bit, and then an Extracting
>>Files
>>dialog will come up and display the progress.
>>
>>When the extraction is done, if you navigate to C:\sp2 with Windows
>>Explorer, you'll see a new folder called i386 that contains the
>>extracted
>>files.
>>

> Better yet, use the slipstreaming process to create a new installation
> disk updated to SP2:
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
>
> This makes both repairs and new installations much simpler.

Just to make things Plane and Simple Yes a Slip streem disk is what you
require. To make one is just follow the steps in various web sites, I
did not use a Microssoft site at all. What I found bad is it seemed like
you were Hacking/Craqcking a disk to make one and It seemed way out of
the scope of the avarage home user to have to make one! Where things get
crazy, for a retailer to make one I think they would be braking lots of
rules (Microsoft) to supply one heaven forbid. With Microsoft's
activaction key one would think they would just be able to supply media
alredy setup to go or make avalible ISO's. No to copy the media is a sin
in there eyes.

Just a rant from what I have seen It is supposed to be a regular opp a
system administrator for a corprate should be able to do.

Impossible 01-09-2006 09:38 PM

"Robert Cooze" <nopants66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Impossible wrote:
>>

>> Better yet, use the slipstreaming process to create a new
>> installation disk updated to SP2:
>>
>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
>>
>> This makes both repairs and new installations much simpler.

> Just to make things Plane and Simple Yes a Slip streem disk is what
> you require. To make one is just follow the steps in various web
> sites, I did not use a Microssoft site at all. What I found bad is
> it seemed like you were Hacking/Craqcking a disk to make one and It
> seemed way out of the scope of the avarage home user to have to make
> one! Where things get crazy, for a retailer to make one I think they
> would be braking lots of rules (Microsoft) to supply one heaven
> forbid. With Microsoft's activaction key one would think they would
> just be able to supply media alredy setup to go or make avalible
> ISO's. No to copy the media is a sin in there eyes.
>
> Just a rant from what I have seen It is supposed to be a regular opp
> a system administrator for a corprate should be able to do.

Yes, the Microsoft Knowledge Base documents the slipstream process
here...

....but it stops short of explaining how to create a new bootable
installation cd, requiring instead that you install/repair from a
slipstreamed hard drive copy.

Robert Cooze 01-10-2006 05:54 PM

Impossible wrote:
> "Robert Cooze" <nopants66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Impossible wrote:
>>

>>>Better yet, use the slipstreaming process to create a new
>>>installation disk updated to SP2:
>>>
>>>http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
>>>
>>>This makes both repairs and new installations much simpler.

>>Just to make things Plane and Simple Yes a Slip streem disk is what
>>you require. To make one is just follow the steps in various web
>>sites, I did not use a Microssoft site at all. What I found bad is
>>it seemed like you were Hacking/Craqcking a disk to make one and It
>>seemed way out of the scope of the avarage home user to have to make
>>one! Where things get crazy, for a retailer to make one I think they
>>would be braking lots of rules (Microsoft) to supply one heaven
>>forbid. With Microsoft's activaction key one would think they would
>>just be able to supply media alredy setup to go or make avalible
>>ISO's. No to copy the media is a sin in there eyes.
>>
>>Just a rant from what I have seen It is supposed to be a regular opp
>>a system administrator for a corprate should be able to do.
>>

> Yes, the Microsoft Knowledge Base documents the slipstream process
> here...

> ....but it stops short of explaining how to create a new bootable
> installation cd, requiring instead that you install/repair from a
> slipstreamed hard drive copy.

Yes the bootibal instlation copy is the hack others have worked out the
slipstream was intended for network installs Me thinks. But my question
is would a normal user (mom & pop) be expected to make the disk from
there orignal OEM XP disk non service pack! as it it is just as hard as
some of the linux procduers like compiling a kernal! or software with
out the docs (not in the tar.gz file). Yes I had no problem making one!
but my brother in law would have given up very soon in the procedurer,
about the time he had to start typing in a cmd window.