Velocity Reviews

-   -   IDE ATA100 Harddrive USB cable (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577510-ide-ata100-harddrive-usb-cable.html)

news.xtra.co.nz 01-06-2006 01:33 AM

IDE ATA100 Harddrive USB cable

I've seen these harddrive connection cables on overseas websites, where you
can connect the harddrive (internal), with the usb port just using a cable.
Also, they have a ac adaptor which has the correct plug to provide power.
This is good , since if you have an old drive sitting around you can quickly
access it without installing into an external enclosure.

Can you buy them in NZ? If so, where? I did a quick search but could not
find one.

XPD 01-06-2006 03:34 AM

Re: IDE ATA100 Harddrive USB cable

"news.xtra.co.nz" <blahblah@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> I've seen these harddrive connection cables on overseas websites, where
> you can connect the harddrive (internal), with the usb port just using a
> cable. Also, they have a ac adaptor which has the correct plug to provide
> power. This is good , since if you have an old drive sitting around you
> can quickly access it without installing into an external enclosure.
>
> Can you buy them in NZ? If so, where? I did a quick search but could not
> find one.

This sort of thing ?

DIGITUS USB 2.0 TO IDE ADAPTER CABLE
Length 1m for 3,5"HDD / CD ROM
USB A to 40pol IDE incl. Adapter for 2,5" HDD
USB 2.0 compliant.
Support for ATA / ATAPI devices
Cable length 1.2m
Includes 2.5" Adapter
Support for: Windows XP Windows 2000
$15.50+GST

www.itproducts.co.nz

Sharktyymbfj 01-06-2006 08:23 PM

"XPD" <spamspam@xpd.xpd.co....nz> wrote in message

> "news.xtra.co.nz" <blahblah@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>> I've seen these harddrive connection cables on overseas websites, where
>> you can connect the harddrive (internal), with the usb port just using a
>> cable. Also, they have a ac adaptor which has the correct plug to provide
>> power. This is good , since if you have an old drive sitting around you
>> can quickly access it without installing into an external enclosure.
>>
>> Can you buy them in NZ? If so, where? I did a quick search but could not
>> find one.
>>

> This sort of thing ?
>
> DIGITUS USB 2.0 TO IDE ADAPTER CABLE
> Length 1m for 3,5"HDD / CD ROM
> USB A to 40pol IDE incl. Adapter for 2,5" HDD
> USB 2.0 compliant.
> Support for ATA / ATAPI devices
> Cable length 1.2m
> Includes 2.5" Adapter
> Support for: Windows XP Windows 2000
> $15.50+GST
>
> www.itproducts.co.nz

With power supply?

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CABCDLC-U2-IDE01

--
Sharktyymbfj

Newsgroups - For those who can't afford vanity publishing.

Jack 01-07-2006 01:10 AM

Re: IDE ATA100 Harddrive USB cable

I bought one off trademe last week $25... very handy thing to have

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/P...n-44407137.htm

news.xtra.co.nz 01-07-2006 06:01 AM

"Jack" <jack@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I bought one off trademe last week $25... very handy thing to have
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/P...n-44407137.htm
>

> "news.xtra.co.nz" <blahblah@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>> I've seen these harddrive connection cables on overseas websites, where
>> you can connect the harddrive (internal), with the usb port just using a
>> cable. Also, they have a ac adaptor which has the correct plug to provide
>> power. This is good , since if you have an old drive sitting around you
>> can quickly access it without installing into an external enclosure.
>>
>> Can you buy them in NZ? If so, where? I did a quick search but could not
>> find one.

Thanks, just bought one too.

Jack 01-07-2006 09:56 PM

Re: IDE ATA100 Harddrive USB cable

I built my own storage cradle as well..a bit rough ( i'm a bushman by
trade ) .. butchered an old AT case to get 3 cd rom bays & 2 hard drive
bays & mounted it on a bit of MDF... as I say a bit rough, but does the job

~misfit~ 01-08-2006 12:26 AM

Jack wrote:
> I built my own storage cradle as well..a bit rough ( i'm a bushman by
> trade ) .. butchered an old AT case to get 3 cd rom bays & 2 hard
> drive bays & mounted it on a bit of MDF... as I say a bit rough, but
> does the job ...

That's the main thing huh?

I've just used the 'buy now' feature on Trademe to get me one of those
cables as well, (Thanks). I can't really afford it right now but the price
is right. I have a few small HDDs around and, even though most of my
machines are networked, it will be handy to use for file transfer or
backups. I'm undecided about whether to use a removable drive bay and the
included PSU or use an external CD-ROM housing (with included PSU) that I
have that currently hooks up to a parellel port. (Actually, come to think of
it, I have a SCSI one too....) I can mount a HDD in it and remove the
existing connections and 'mount' the IDE-USB adapter cable it that. I guess
it depends on whether I'm going to be using it mainly for one drive or for
more than one.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

bambam 01-08-2006 02:25 AM

Re: IDE ATA100 Harddrive USB cable

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz> wrote in

> I've just used the 'buy now' feature on Trademe to get me one of those
> cables as well, (Thanks). I can't really afford it right now but the
> price is right.

Well if you are really hard up, or just frugal, like me, you should have
just bid $20 and waited until the end of the auction. Saving yourself 5
bucks. ;)

~misfit~ 01-08-2006 05:18 AM

bambam wrote:
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz> wrote in
>
>> I've just used the 'buy now' feature on Trademe to get me one of
>> those cables as well, (Thanks). I can't really afford it right now
>> but the price is right.

> Well if you are really hard up, or just frugal, like me, you should
> have just bid $20 and waited until the end of the auction. Saving
> yourself 5 bucks. ;)

I thought about that but how are we to know if the reserve is $20? It could
well be $25. Also, the two-year warranty that you get only with buy now
tipped it. (I printed the page, FWIW).

And, yeah, I am really hard up. Probably should have just gone the bid
route.

Oh well.....
--
~misfit~

bambam 01-08-2006 08:22 AM

> bambam wrote:
>> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz> wrote in
>>
>>> I've just used the 'buy now' feature on Trademe to get me one of
>>> those cables as well, (Thanks). I can't really afford it right now
>>> but the price is right.

>> Well if you are really hard up, or just frugal, like me, you should
>> have just bid $20 and waited until the end of the auction. Saving
>> yourself 5 bucks. ;)

> I thought about that but how are we to know if the reserve is $20? It
> could well be $25.

All the auctions for this item that I can see are no reserve and $20 start.

> Also, the two-year warranty that you get only with
> buy now tipped it. (I printed the page, FWIW).

I can only see 1 year for buy now? I'll risk it. ;)

I wasn't pulling the ****, just in case you thought I was.