Velocity Reviews

-   -   free antivirus (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577483-free-antivirus.html)

news.xtra.co.nz 01-03-2006 01:58 AM

free antivirus

wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?

If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.

EMB 01-03-2006 03:49 AM

Re: free antivirus

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
>
> If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.

Not free, but CA Etrust EZ-Antivirus OEM bundled with whatever the crap
offer is this week (currently K/B and mouse) for $15+GST at QMB. 12
months of updates included, and it's working well enough on some PCs
owned by a charity I look after.

On the homepage at http://www.qmb.co.nz

--
EMB

bambam 01-03-2006 04:03 AM

Re: free antivirus

"news.xtra.co.nz" <goaway@spammonster.com> wrote in news:TSkuf.12052
$vH5.601484@news.xtra.co.nz:

> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
>
> If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.

Any of these will work OK-

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/200...php#Anti-Virus

Bruce Knox 01-03-2006 05:30 AM

Re: free antivirus

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 14:58:00 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
<goaway@spammonster.com> wrote:

>wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
>
>If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.

I use Avast! It seems to work well and has caught a few viruses that
have been missed by Paradise virus scanner (new ones that got through
before their system updated I think). It is a very professional
product. Seems to update very quickly and the only hassle is having to
reregister it every 2 years to keep it updating.

Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
http://physio.otago.ac.nz

Steve 01-03-2006 06:01 AM

Re: free antivirus

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:58:00 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
>
> If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.

I use clamav to clean up mails on delivery. This is a *nix av program, but
the clamwin project ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin ) may well
offer you what you want.

Steve

Craig Sutton 01-03-2006 08:34 AM

Re: free antivirus

"news.xtra.co.nz" <goaway@spammonster.com> wrote in message
> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
>
> If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.

remove nortons

reinstall it

you will get another year

S Roby 01-03-2006 10:09 AM

Re: free antivirus

In article <dpdcue$e0b$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, "Craig Sutton" <xcxcnxxnxxx@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>"news.xtra.co.nz" <goaway@spammonster.com> wrote in message
>> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
>>
>> If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.
>>

>remove nortons
>
>reinstall it
>
>you will get another year

This doesnt allways works (on newer versions)

S Roby 01-03-2006 10:16 AM

Re: free antivirus

>"news.xtra.co.nz" <goaway@spammonster.com> wrote in message
>> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?

The free AV's dont have a 100% detection rating but are probhably good enough
If you want the best virus detection you will have to PAY
Some of the freeware AV's DONT SCAN EMAIL

antivir: doesnt scan emails?
avast
AVG
bitdefender has a freeware version ()no email scanning??)

I used Avast. It was excellent.

Now using KAV's beta v6, get 2 months free use, then if theres a new KAV beta
I'll load that & get 2 more months

news.xtra.co.nz 01-03-2006 07:09 PM

Re: free antivirus

"Craig Sutton" <xcxcnxxnxxx@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

> "news.xtra.co.nz" <goaway@spammonster.com> wrote in message
>> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
>>
>> If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.
>>

> remove nortons
>
> reinstall it
>
> you will get another year

He he I am still using the version I purchased in early 2003.

I had big probs in 2004 reactivating after an OS reinstall - and after much
hassles Norton reactivated my key - and , it has remained active until about
now.

Also, the 2003 versions license allowed installation on 2 pc's - but the new
licenses forbid this.

news.xtra.co.nz 01-03-2006 07:19 PM

Re: free antivirus

"S Roby" <email@gooble.gooble> wrote in message

>>"news.xtra.co.nz" <goaway@spammonster.com> wrote in message
>>> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?

> The free AV's dont have a 100% detection rating but are probhably good
> enough
> If you want the best virus detection you will have to PAY
> Some of the freeware AV's DONT SCAN EMAIL
>
> antivir: doesnt scan emails?
> avast
> AVG
> bitdefender has a freeware version ()no email scanning??)
>

> I used Avast. It was excellent.
>

> Now using KAV's beta v6, get 2 months free use, then if theres a new KAV
> beta
> I'll load that & get 2 more months

thanks for this - IMHO keep your pc updates current, firewalled, and don't
open dodgy email / illegal software I think you are largely ok. I was
even thinking of dumping antivirus completely.

In the last 3 years, I've had just one virus/worm thingy and norton did not
even detect that - remember the one back in late 2003 where you were
infected just by being connected to the net and it would crash the pc after
a couple of minutes.

Although, A/V is like insurance ,you kick yourself when you needed it but
did not have.