Velocity Reviews

-   -   9800pro upgrade (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577468-9800pro-upgrade.html)

Athura 01-01-2006 03:19 AM

9800pro upgrade

Hi all

I have a Powercolour 9800pro sitting in a 2.8g P4 (533mhz) with a gig of
pc2700 ram
I am wanting to get a new video card to boost the newer games performance,
any suggestions as a modet upgrade for this older system ?

Many Thanks

XPD 01-01-2006 03:50 AM

Re: 9800pro upgrade

"Athura" <athura@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I have a Powercolour 9800pro sitting in a 2.8g P4 (533mhz) with a gig of
> pc2700 ram
> I am wanting to get a new video card to boost the newer games performance,
> any suggestions as a modet upgrade for this older system ?
>
> Many Thanks

AGP ? PCI-e ?

Daniel 01-01-2006 04:28 AM

Re: 9800pro upgrade

Athura wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a Powercolour 9800pro sitting in a 2.8g P4 (533mhz) with a gig of
> pc2700 ram
> I am wanting to get a new video card to boost the newer games performance,
> any suggestions as a modet upgrade for this older system ?
>
> Many Thanks

Do you have a budget in mind?

SteveM 01-01-2006 05:41 AM

Re: 9800pro upgrade

"Athura" <athura@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Hi all
>
> I have a Powercolour 9800pro sitting in a 2.8g P4 (533mhz) with a gig
> of pc2700 ram
> I am wanting to get a new video card to boost the newer games
> performance, any suggestions as a modet upgrade for this older system
> ?
>
> Many Thanks

Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (if you don't mind changing camps)
Best bang for buckright now.

SteveM

Krazy Bob 01-01-2006 08:28 AM

Re: 9800pro upgrade

"SteveM" <sdmcc@ihugyou.co.nz> wrote in message
news:Xns973EBE430670Csdmccremovemeparadis@203.109. 252.31...
> "Athura" <athura@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have a Powercolour 9800pro sitting in a 2.8g P4 (533mhz) with a gig
>> of pc2700 ram
>> I am wanting to get a new video card to boost the newer games
>> performance, any suggestions as a modet upgrade for this older system
>> ?
>>
>> Many Thanks
>>

> Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (if you don't mind changing camps)
> Best bang for buckright now.
>
> SteveM

agreed, have one my self...runs like a dream, altho gets a bit hot 68
degree's running BF2 for a couple of hours

KB

cowboyz 01-01-2006 08:47 PM

Re: 9800pro upgrade

"Krazy Bob" <KB@dontspam.com> wrote in message

> "SteveM" <sdmcc@ihugyou.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:Xns973EBE430670Csdmccremovemeparadis@203.109. 252.31...
>> "Athura" <athura@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I have a Powercolour 9800pro sitting in a 2.8g P4 (533mhz) with a gig
>>> of pc2700 ram
>>> I am wanting to get a new video card to boost the newer games
>>> performance, any suggestions as a modet upgrade for this older system
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Many Thanks
>>>

>> Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (if you don't mind changing camps)
>> Best bang for buckright now.
>>
>> SteveM

> agreed, have one my self...runs like a dream, altho gets a bit hot 68
> degree's running BF2 for a couple of hours
>
> KB

I have a 9800pro and put a 6600gt in a XP2500 not too long ago and would
consider it a sidestep rather than an upgrade. 3d mark is about 400 points
higher on the 6600gt for what its worth but real life performance is not
very noticeable at all.

Krazy Bob 01-02-2006 02:44 AM

Re: 9800pro upgrade

"cowboyz" <cowboyz@here.now> wrote in message

> "Krazy Bob" <KB@dontspam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "SteveM" <sdmcc@ihugyou.co.nz> wrote in message
>> news:Xns973EBE430670Csdmccremovemeparadis@203.109. 252.31...
>>> "Athura" <athura@hotmail.com> wrote in

>>> Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (if you don't mind changing camps)
>>> Best bang for buckright now.
>>>
>>> SteveM

>> agreed, have one my self...runs like a dream, altho gets a bit hot 68
>> degree's running BF2 for a couple of hours
>>
>> KB
>>

> I have a 9800pro and put a 6600gt in a XP2500 not too long ago and would
> consider it a sidestep rather than an upgrade. 3d mark is about 400
> points higher on the 6600gt for what its worth but real life performance
> is not very noticeable at all.

well i had a TI4200, so to me thats an upgrade not a side step ;-)

KB

news.xtra.co.nz 01-02-2006 02:53 AM

Re: 9800pro upgrade

"SteveM" <sdmcc@ihugyou.co.nz> wrote in message
news:Xns973EBE430670Csdmccremovemeparadis@203.109. 252.31...
> "Athura" <athura@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have a Powercolour 9800pro sitting in a 2.8g P4 (533mhz) with a gig
>> of pc2700 ram
>> I am wanting to get a new video card to boost the newer games
>> performance, any suggestions as a modet upgrade for this older system
>> ?
>>
>> Many Thanks
>>

> Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (if you don't mind changing camps)
> Best bang for buckright now.
>
> SteveM

damn - my 9800 pro just blew up and i already bought an x800 pro - but, this
does not seem much better than the pro subjectively speaking, and it cost
$600.

thingy 01-27-2006 07:54 PM

Re: 9800pro upgrade

Krazy Bob wrote:
> "SteveM" <sdmcc@ihugyou.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:Xns973EBE430670Csdmccremovemeparadis@203.109. 252.31...
>
>>"Athura" <athura@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>

>>>Hi all
>>>
>>>I have a Powercolour 9800pro sitting in a 2.8g P4 (533mhz) with a gig
>>>of pc2700 ram
>>>I am wanting to get a new video card to boost the newer games
>>>performance, any suggestions as a modet upgrade for this older system
>>>?
>>>
>>>Many Thanks
>>>

>>Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (if you don't mind changing camps)
>>Best bang for buckright now.
>>
>>SteveM

> agreed, have one my self...runs like a dream, altho gets a bit hot 68
> degree's running BF2 for a couple of hours
>
> KB

I have one in my p3-1000..........goes very nicely at $240.

I love the "older system".....lol....what does that make my p3-1000 I
wonder....an ancient artifact?

regards

Thing