Velocity Reviews

-   -   Will this motherboard/cpu be faster than my old one? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577311-will-this-motherboard-cpu-be-faster-than-my-old-one.html)

graviton 12-12-2005 01:37 AM

Will this motherboard/cpu be faster than my old one?

Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it absolutely
clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
this will be stable and reliable.

I am quite aware that this will be a dog slow setup compared to what you can
currently buy and i know a lot of people would not consider this setup for
many reasons, all of which I can assure you I have considered so I would
really appreciate it if I only got answers to my exact question and not a
whole lot of opinions about something I have not asked for, I am only after
the experience and expertise of others on this hardware, I am not interested
in philosophies on what I should buy, I can do that on my own thanks.

Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be greatly
appreciated.

Here's hoping.

graviton 12-12-2005 01:40 AM

Re: Will this motherboard/cpu be faster than my old one?

"graviton" <graviton@gravity> wrote in message news:439cd49b@clear.net.nz...
> Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
> sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it

absolutely
> clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
> All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
> asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
> current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
> specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
> this will be stable and reliable.
>
> I am quite aware that this will be a dog slow setup compared to what you

can
> currently buy and i know a lot of people would not consider this setup for
> many reasons, all of which I can assure you I have considered so I would
> really appreciate it if I only got answers to my exact question and not a
> whole lot of opinions about something I have not asked for, I am only

after
> the experience and expertise of others on this hardware, I am not

interested
> in philosophies on what I should buy, I can do that on my own thanks.
>
> Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Here's hoping.

If there is a better place to ask this question a pointer would be
appreciated.

EMB 12-12-2005 01:53 AM

graviton wrote:
> Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
> sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it absolutely
> clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
> All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
> asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
> current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
> specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
> this will be stable and reliable.

IME you'll see a significant speed increase. I just tried a quick test
(major stats computation) between a p3-667 machine and a Sempron 2400+
one, both running Asus motherboards - looks like a factor of about 3 - 4
in favour of the Sempron.

--
EMB

steve 12-12-2005 02:21 AM

graviton wrote:

> asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
> current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
> specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
> this will be stable and reliable.

Yes.

www.amd.com says:

Socket A /130nm 2600+ 1833 MHz 256KB (exclusive)

.....or....

754-pin/90nm SOI 2600+ 1600 MHz 128KB (exclusive)

Either of these will be many times faster than your P3 550MHz.

graviton 12-12-2005 03:27 AM

"EMB" <embtwo@gmail.com> wrote in message
> graviton wrote:
> > Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
> > sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it

absolutely
> > clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
> > All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
> > asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
> > current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
> > specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard

like
> > this will be stable and reliable.

> IME you'll see a significant speed increase. I just tried a quick test
> (major stats computation) between a p3-667 machine and a Sempron 2400+
> one, both running Asus motherboards - looks like a factor of about 3 - 4
> in favour of the Sempron.
>

> --
> EMB

Thanks a lot, it might have been an obvious result to some people but i know
that the absolute bottom end of current computer tech can be as slow as the
average system 2-3 years ago and maybe older which is why I had to ask.

graviton 12-12-2005 03:31 AM

"steve" <steve@linuxisgreat.org.nz> wrote in message
> graviton wrote:
>
> > asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
> > current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
> > specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard

like
> > this will be stable and reliable.

> Yes.
>
> www.amd.com says:
>
> Socket A /130nm 2600+ 1833 MHz 256KB (exclusive)
>
> ....or....
>
> 754-pin/90nm SOI 2600+ 1600 MHz 128KB (exclusive)
>
> Either of these will be many times faster than your P3 550MHz.

Thanks. I thought socket 754 was newer than socket A but yet the 754 cpu is
lesser speced than the A.

Bret 12-12-2005 04:06 AM

Re: Will this motherboard/cpu be faster than my old one?

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:37:20 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
wrote:

>Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
>sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it absolutely
>clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
>All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
>asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
>current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
>specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
>this will be stable and reliable.

You have been given all the information you need.

>I am quite aware that this will be a dog slow setup compared to what you can
>currently buy and i know a lot of people would not consider this setup for
>many reasons, all of which I can assure you I have considered so I would
>really appreciate it if I only got answers to my exact question and not a
>whole lot of opinions about something I have not asked for, I am only after
>the experience and expertise of others on this hardware, I am not interested
>in philosophies on what I should buy, I can do that on my own thanks.

Maybe you should pay someone if you want to call the tune.

>Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Here's hoping.

Will anyone bother?

Bret 12-12-2005 04:08 AM

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:53:45 +1300, EMB <embtwo@gmail.com> wrote:

>graviton wrote:
>> Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
>> sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it absolutely
>> clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
>> All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
>> asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
>> current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
>> specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
>> this will be stable and reliable.

>IME you'll see a significant speed increase. I just tried a quick test
>(major stats computation) between a p3-667 machine and a Sempron 2400+
>one, both running Asus motherboards - looks like a factor of about 3 - 4
>in favour of the Sempron.

That's what I would expect.

steve 12-12-2005 04:14 AM

graviton wrote:

> "steve" <steve@linuxisgreat.org.nz> wrote in message
>> graviton wrote:
>>
>> > asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
>> > current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
>> > specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard

> like
>> > this will be stable and reliable.

>> Yes.
>>
>> www.amd.com says:
>>
>> Socket A /130nm 2600+ 1833 MHz 256KB (exclusive)

>> 754-pin/90nm SOI 2600+ 1600 MHz 128KB (exclusive)
>>
>> Either of these will be many times faster than your P3 550MHz.

> Thanks. I thought socket 754 was newer than socket A but yet the 754 cpu
> is lesser speced than the A.

True.

Built on the same processor core, but slightly slower and with less onboard
cache. Should therefore be slightly cheaper.

steve 12-12-2005 04:14 AM