Velocity Reviews

-   -   Where'd the external monitor go? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577255-whered-the-external-monitor-go.html)

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh 12-09-2005 09:11 AM

Where'd the external monitor go?

I'm having trouble with a Toshiba notebook losing its external
monitor. All was well one night, then the next day I couldn't get it
to see the external monitor no matter what I tried. The only new
install was Skype... shouldn't be a problem, right? Nothing else has
changed.

I've tried rolling back using System Restore. Is there anything else
I can try short of a full recovery? Or is it more likely to be a
hardware problem?
--
R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
Timaru, New Zealand.

~misfit~ 12-09-2005 09:55 AM

Re: Where'd the external monitor go?

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
> I'm having trouble with a Toshiba notebook losing its external
> monitor. All was well one night, then the next day I couldn't get it
> to see the external monitor no matter what I tried. The only new
> install was Skype... shouldn't be a problem, right? Nothing else has
> changed.
>
> I've tried rolling back using System Restore. Is there anything else
> I can try short of a full recovery? Or is it more likely to be a
> hardware problem?

There's a function button to turn it on and off right? I take it you've
tried that.
--
~misfit~

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh 12-09-2005 11:55 AM

Re: Where'd the external monitor go?

In message <439955c5@news.orcon.net.nz>, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz> wrote:

>R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
>> I'm having trouble with a Toshiba notebook losing its external
>> monitor. All was well one night, then the next day I couldn't get it
>> to see the external monitor no matter what I tried. The only new
>> install was Skype... shouldn't be a problem, right? Nothing else has
>> changed.
>>
>> I've tried rolling back using System Restore. Is there anything else
>> I can try short of a full recovery? Or is it more likely to be a
>> hardware problem?

>There's a function button to turn it on and off right? I take it you've
>tried that.

Not that I can find. And besides, that would surely only play with
the software settings?

--
R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
Timaru, New Zealand.

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh 12-09-2005 11:55 AM

Re: Where'd the external monitor go?

In message <439955c5@news.orcon.net.nz>, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz> wrote:

>There's a function button to turn it on and off right? I take it you've
>tried that.

Oh wait... I see what you mean... that ain't it.
--
R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
Timaru, New Zealand.

~misfit~ 12-10-2005 01:43 AM

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
> In message <439955c5@news.orcon.net.nz>, "~misfit~"
> <misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> There's a function button to turn it on and off right? I take it
>> you've tried that.

> Oh wait... I see what you mean... that ain't it.

Ok, worth a shot. I had a Tosh once and the external display had to be
turned on with a two-key push for it to work.

Hope you get it sorted.
--
~misfit~

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh 12-10-2005 11:44 AM

Re: Where'd the external monitor go?

In message <439a33f6$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz> wrote:

>R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
>> In message <439955c5@news.orcon.net.nz>, "~misfit~"
>> <misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> There's a function button to turn it on and off right? I take it
>>> you've tried that.

>> Oh wait... I see what you mean... that ain't it.

>Ok, worth a shot. I had a Tosh once and the external display had to be
>turned on with a two-key push for it to work.
>
>Hope you get it sorted.

Full recovery and no dice... off to the repair agent it goes. :-(

--
R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
Timaru, New Zealand.

~misfit~ 12-10-2005 03:52 PM

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
> In message <439a33f6$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, "~misfit~"
> <misfit61nz@wahoo.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:

>>> Oh wait... I see what you mean... that ain't it.

>> Ok, worth a shot. I had a Tosh once and the external display had to
>> be turned on with a two-key push for it to work.
>>
>> Hope you get it sorted.

> Full recovery and no dice... off to the repair agent it goes. :-(

:-(

I hope they get it back to you in a timely fashion.
--
~misfit~

John in Surrey 12-10-2005 04:22 PM

Re: Where'd the external monitor go?

>> Full recovery and no dice... off to the repair agent it goes. :-(

the recovery cd isnt going to toggle the switch to turn it on....

Images of home (NZ)
http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz/home
What we are up to in the UK
http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh 12-10-2005 09:58 PM

Re: Where'd the external monitor go?

In message <630mp1lokdlbqe3pri34n1t2326n0vvuiv@4ax.com>, John in
Surrey <j@myplace.co.nz> wrote:

>>> Full recovery and no dice... off to the repair agent it goes. :-(

>the recovery cd isnt going to toggle the switch to turn it on....

Toggled everything before we got that far.

--
R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
Timaru, New Zealand.

steve 12-10-2005 10:57 PM

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:

> Not that I can find. And besides, that would surely only play with
> the software settings?

No.

It talks to the laptop BIOS, I think.

An IBM thinkpad, for example, would cycle around

lt-scrn only / lt-scrn+external / external-only

.....regardless of what OS was booted - DOS or Windows or OS/2 or Linux or
whatever.