Velocity Reviews

-   -   LimeWire? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577238-limewire.html)

GraB 12-07-2005 02:29 PM

LimeWire?

I have been using eMule Plus to search for anything to do with the
Roswell series, jpegs, archives and movie clips. There is a large
amount of impressive quality stuff out there but I find that there
seems to be sources for only for 1 in 5 search results, then you have
a long wait for it to even begin to download, at a measly 2Kb/s, but
with patience you get there. I find eMule a resource hog of the top
order but after reading a thread elsewhere I thought I would try
Limewire. That seems to be very light on resources.

But search results! Talk about porn riddled bogus results! I
downloaded a MOV which was 1,476Kb (there are lots of them at that
size for different searches). It opened Opera, not my default
Firefox, and went to a dating site but the file itself was pure porn,
nothing to do with Roswell. Then there are a lot of small archive
files, ZIP and RAR, named for whatever search you did, which contain a
small setup.exe. They scan OK in AVG, but what are they?

The 'ignore adult content' filter doesn't filter out 'nude'.

Fishb8 12-07-2005 05:14 PM

Re: LimeWire?

"GraB" <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote in message
>I have been using eMule Plus to search for anything to do with the
> Roswell series, jpegs, archives and movie clips. There is a large
> amount of impressive quality stuff out there but I find that there
> seems to be sources for only for 1 in 5 search results, then you have
> a long wait for it to even begin to download, at a measly 2Kb/s, but
> with patience you get there. I find eMule a resource hog of the top
> order but after reading a thread elsewhere I thought I would try
> Limewire. That seems to be very light on resources.
>
> But search results! Talk about porn riddled bogus results! I
> downloaded a MOV which was 1,476Kb (there are lots of them at that
> size for different searches). It opened Opera, not my default
> Firefox, and went to a dating site but the file itself was pure porn,
> nothing to do with Roswell. Then there are a lot of small archive
> files, ZIP and RAR, named for whatever search you did, which contain a
> small setup.exe. They scan OK in AVG, but what are they?
>
> The 'ignore adult content' filter doesn't filter out 'nude'.

A couple of weeks back I downloaded a movie for my nephew, took a while but
eventually got there. I transcoded it and burnt to DVD ok. He was coming
over with family for tea and I thought I'd just pop it in the DVD player to
surprise him. Well, it was me that got the surprise when I got an Italian
porn movie, instead. His dad took it instead! Yes, there's a lot of surprise
material out there.
sorry don't know what the .exe file is but your suspicion is justified.
Roy

Dave Taylor 12-07-2005 06:41 PM

Re: LimeWire?

GraB <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote in

> They scan OK in AVG, but what are they?

AVG is hit and miss sometimes.
Try this web site:
http://virusscan.jotti.org/

--
Ciao, Dave

Nicholas Sherlock 12-07-2005 06:46 PM

Re: LimeWire?

GraB wrote:
> But search results! Talk about porn riddled bogus results! I
> downloaded a MOV which was 1,476Kb (there are lots of them at that
> size for different searches).

Yes, evil computers on the network return files with the same or similar
names to what you are searching for (They're generated on the fly). You
should be able to spot these easily: There's usually 20 slightly
different files about the same size (Far smaller than expected) with the
same name.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

GraB 12-07-2005 07:05 PM

Re: LimeWire?

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 07:46:23 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock
<n_sherlock@hotmail.com> wrote:

>GraB wrote:
>> But search results! Talk about porn riddled bogus results! I
>> downloaded a MOV which was 1,476Kb (there are lots of them at that
>> size for different searches).

>Yes, evil computers on the network return files with the same or similar
>names to what you are searching for (They're generated on the fly). You
>should be able to spot these easily: There's usually 20 slightly
>different files about the same size (Far smaller than expected) with the
>same name.
>
>Cheers,
>Nicholas Sherlock

I suspected they were generated on the fly. Talk about 'fly in the
ointment'!

GraB 12-07-2005 07:09 PM

Re: LimeWire?

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 06:14:23 +1300, "Fishb8" <royandros@xtra.co.nz>
wrote:

>"GraB" <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote in message
>news:p8rdp1l8ocs2kktkpit3r4pq54plqe6btn@4ax.com.. .
>>I have been using eMule Plus to search for anything to do with the
>> Roswell series, jpegs, archives and movie clips. There is a large
>> amount of impressive quality stuff out there but I find that there
>> seems to be sources for only for 1 in 5 search results, then you have
>> a long wait for it to even begin to download, at a measly 2Kb/s, but
>> with patience you get there. I find eMule a resource hog of the top
>> order but after reading a thread elsewhere I thought I would try
>> Limewire. That seems to be very light on resources.
>>
>> But search results! Talk about porn riddled bogus results! I
>> downloaded a MOV which was 1,476Kb (there are lots of them at that
>> size for different searches). It opened Opera, not my default
>> Firefox, and went to a dating site but the file itself was pure porn,
>> nothing to do with Roswell. Then there are a lot of small archive
>> files, ZIP and RAR, named for whatever search you did, which contain a
>> small setup.exe. They scan OK in AVG, but what are they?
>>
>> The 'ignore adult content' filter doesn't filter out 'nude'.

>A couple of weeks back I downloaded a movie for my nephew, took a while but
>eventually got there. I transcoded it and burnt to DVD ok. He was coming
>over with family for tea and I thought I'd just pop it in the DVD player to
>surprise him. Well, it was me that got the surprise when I got an Italian
>porn movie, instead. His dad took it instead! Yes, there's a lot of surprise
>material out there.
>sorry don't know what the .exe file is but your suspicion is justified.
>Roy

A good friend of mine downloaded an Elvis duet, went to watch it with
her young daughter, but found it was another sort of duet.

Nicholas Sherlock 12-07-2005 07:42 PM

Re: LimeWire?

GraB wrote:
> A good friend of mine downloaded an Elvis duet, went to watch it with
> her young daughter, but found it was another sort of duet.

I downloaded one movie, got Moulin Rouge instead... big disappointment!
"Bearshare" offers "Bitzi tickets": Looks up the file's hash into a big
file database where people can write comments about the file's contents,
quality, format, etc.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

steve 12-07-2005 09:44 PM

Re: LimeWire?

GraB wrote:

> I have been using eMule Plus to search for anything to do with the
> Roswell series, jpegs, archives and movie clips. There is a large
> amount of impressive quality stuff out there but I find that there
> seems to be sources for only for 1 in 5 search results, then you have
> a long wait for it to even begin to download, at a measly 2Kb/s, but
> with patience you get there. I find eMule a resource hog of the top
> order but after reading a thread elsewhere I thought I would try
> Limewire. That seems to be very light on resources.
>
> But search results! Talk about porn riddled bogus results! I
> downloaded a MOV which was 1,476Kb (there are lots of them at that
> size for different searches). It opened Opera, not my default
> Firefox, and went to a dating site but the file itself was pure porn,
> nothing to do with Roswell. Then there are a lot of small archive
> files, ZIP and RAR, named for whatever search you did, which contain a
> small setup.exe. They scan OK in AVG, but what are they?
>
> The 'ignore adult content' filter doesn't filter out 'nude'.

You see the same stuff on Linux's gtk-gnutella (uses the same gnutella-based
network as Limewire and eMule and Bearshare.....etc...).

But at least it can't run itself when you download it.

There are obviously people out there who capture the incoming searches and
then respond positively to ALL of them.....not matter what your search
argument might have been.

The gnutella network is open source and there is nothing to stop anyone
re-writing the client to do such things.

But the what they can't do is make you download it. :-)

I've only rarely downloaded such bogus content because usually the size of
the file is nothing remotely like what I am expecting it to be.

Krazy Bob 12-07-2005 10:01 PM

Re: LimeWire?

"GraB" <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote in message
>I have been using eMule Plus to search for anything to do with the
> Roswell series, jpegs, archives and movie clips. There is a large
> amount of impressive quality stuff out there but I find that there
> seems to be sources for only for 1 in 5 search results, then you have
> a long wait for it to even begin to download, at a measly 2Kb/s, but
> with patience you get there. I find eMule a resource hog of the top
> order but after reading a thread elsewhere I thought I would try
> Limewire. That seems to be very light on resources.
>
> But search results! Talk about porn riddled bogus results! I
> downloaded a MOV which was 1,476Kb (there are lots of them at that
> size for different searches). It opened Opera, not my default
> Firefox, and went to a dating site but the file itself was pure porn,
> nothing to do with Roswell. Then there are a lot of small archive
> files, ZIP and RAR, named for whatever search you did, which contain a
> small setup.exe. They scan OK in AVG, but what are they?
>
> The 'ignore adult content' filter doesn't filter out 'nude'.

I use bit torrent to download series of programes, im a big fan of JAG,
NCIS, CSI etc etc and using limewire, emule, just doesnt work for me,
http://www.mininova.org/

great place for movies, and tv shows, i suggest using bitlord or similar
programe to download it, and as yet have yet to download a dodgy movie.

I suggest the exe programes are trojan dialers prehaps

KB

steve 12-07-2005 10:12 PM

Re: LimeWire?

Krazy Bob wrote:

> I use bit torrent to download series of programes, im a big fan of JAG,
> NCIS, CSI etc etc and using limewire, emule, just doesnt work for me,
> http://www.mininova.org/

Agreed.

Stuff is on bittorrent first....then filters through to other P2P networks
from folks who got it on bittorrent.