Velocity Reviews

-   -   CPU prices (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577207-cpu-prices.html)

Abstract Reasoning 12-04-2005 02:03 AM

CPU prices

A year ago, I purchased an AMD 2400+ CPU with HS+F.

If I was to buy exactly the same CPU today, it would cost me more than it
did last year.

It may be a different story on the bleeding edge CPU's that are known as
high depreciation items, but it does seem a bit ridiculous that a volume
CPU ends up costing more.

At least RAM has dropped substantially in the last 12 months.

MarkH 12-04-2005 02:56 AM

Re: CPU prices

Abstract Reasoning <return@last.days> wrote in

> A year ago, I purchased an AMD 2400+ CPU with HS+F.

Which CPU are you talking about?

> If I was to buy exactly the same CPU today, it would cost me more than it
> did last year.

So, what did it cost then and what does it cost now?

> It may be a different story on the bleeding edge CPU's that are known as
> high depreciation items, but it does seem a bit ridiculous that a volume
> CPU ends up costing more.

Without really understanding what you are going on about it is hard to say
whether I agree with your point or not.

I see that I can buy an AMD 2400+ CPU with HS & F for $110+GST now, exactly
how much cheaper was it a year ago?

If you are referring to a different CPU that is no longer manufactured then
it would be no surprise to find that any stock that still exists could be
dearer. This would be a simple case of supply & demand determining the
price.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Abstract Reasoning 12-04-2005 03:37 AM

Re: CPU prices

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 02:56:50 GMT, MarkH wrote:

> I see that I can buy an AMD 2400+ CPU with HS & F for $110+GST now, exactly
> how much cheaper was it a year ago?

$92 inc.

I noticed they had gone up after Christmas when I bought some more to build
a few systems, and notice that they've never returned to those levels.

Admittedly a low end CPU where there is a base price consideration ie fixed
manufacturing costs (die, packaging, transportation, margin etc), but
still...

There has been some movement in the ~3k processors, but not what could be
called substantial in most cases.

MarkH 12-04-2005 09:45 AM

Re: CPU prices

> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 02:56:50 GMT, MarkH wrote:
>
>> I see that I can buy an AMD 2400+ CPU with HS & F for $110+GST now,
>> exactly how much cheaper was it a year ago?

> $92 inc.

That is a bit of a difference. But sometimes this happens, I have seen it
with RAM prices over the years. There is occasionally an oversupply in the
market and the prices go down to move the stock.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Rider 12-04-2005 07:51 PM

Re: CPU prices

"Abstract Reasoning" <return@last.days> wrote in message
>A year ago, I purchased an AMD 2400+ CPU with HS+F.
>
> If I was to buy exactly the same CPU today, it would cost me more than it
> did last year.
>
> It may be a different story on the bleeding edge CPU's that are known as
> high depreciation items, but it does seem a bit ridiculous that a volume
> CPU ends up costing more.
>
> At least RAM has dropped substantially in the last 12 months.

Are you comparing the same type of CPU IE: Duron compared to price of
Sempron?

Rider

Abstract Reasoning 12-05-2005 07:17 AM

Re: CPU prices

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 08:51:48 +1300, Rider wrote:

> "Abstract Reasoning" <return@last.days> wrote in message
>>A year ago, I purchased an AMD 2400+ CPU with HS+F.
>>
>> If I was to buy exactly the same CPU today, it would cost me more than it
>> did last year.
>>
>> It may be a different story on the bleeding edge CPU's that are known as
>> high depreciation items, but it does seem a bit ridiculous that a volume
>> CPU ends up costing more.
>>
>> At least RAM has dropped substantially in the last 12 months.

> Are you comparing the same type of CPU IE: Duron compared to price of
> Sempron?
>
> Rider

333 FSB

Mr Undeniably Sluttish 12-05-2005 11:38 AM

Re: CPU prices

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 08:51:48 +1300, Rider wrote:

> Are you comparing the same type of CPU IE: Duron compared to price of
> Sempron?

I thought that a Semperon was just a renamed AthlonXP.

Undeniably Sluttish

--
Free software on every PC on every desk.

Daniel 12-05-2005 10:10 PM

Re: CPU prices

Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:

> I thought that a Semperon was just a renamed AthlonXP.

Originally - yes.

Sempron is basically the AMD budget brand, and comes in socket 754 and
more recently socket 939 versions.

The 754 Semprons offer very good price/performance ratios.

Bret 12-05-2005 11:47 PM

Re: CPU prices

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 11:10:18 +1300, Daniel <atari400@paradise.net.nz>
wrote:

>Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:
>>
>> I thought that a Semperon was just a renamed AthlonXP.
>>

>Originally - yes.
>
>Sempron is basically the AMD budget brand, and comes in socket 754 and
>more recently socket 939 versions.

Where do you go for a 939 Sempron?

>The 754 Semprons offer very good price/performance ratios.

Also, 64 bit Semprons are available :)

Daniel 12-06-2005 12:33 AM

Re: CPU prices

Bret wrote:

> Where do you go for a 939 Sempron?

At the moment, it appears they only sell them in complete PC's from
HP/Compaq.