Velocity Reviews

-   -   xtra binaries (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577189-xtra-binaries.html)

mr gumpy 12-01-2005 04:00 AM

xtra binaries

I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I notice all the
alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi been the case?

S Roby 12-01-2005 07:46 AM

Re: xtra binaries

In article <7Bujf.4989$vH5.272092@news.xtra.co.nz>, "mr gumpy" <mtg@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I notice all the
>alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi been the case?

I noticed this too
Even legit/non porn binaries have gone

Ralph Fox 12-01-2005 09:44 AM

Re: xtra binaries

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:46:08 GMT, in message
*<cPwjf.5022$vH5.272319@news.xtra.co.nz>, S Roby wrote:

> In article <7Bujf.4989$vH5.272092@news.xtra.co.nz>, "mr gumpy" <mtg@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> >I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I notice all the
> >alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi been the case?
> >

> I noticed this too
> Even legit/non porn binaries have gone

On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.* groups.

Squirrel 12-01-2005 10:05 AM

Re: xtra binaries

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:44:51 +0000, Ralph Fox
<ralphfralphf@xtraxtra.coco.nznz.undo-echo.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:46:08 GMT, in message
>*<cPwjf.5022$vH5.272319@news.xtra.co.nz>, S Roby wrote:
>
>> In article <7Bujf.4989$vH5.272092@news.xtra.co.nz>, "mr gumpy" <mtg@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>> >I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I notice all the
>> >alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi been the case?
>> >

>> I noticed this too
>> Even legit/non porn binaries have gone

>On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.* groups.

tell me more about binaries, why all the interest???

You are just jealous that the tiny voices aren't talking to you!

Ralph Fox 12-01-2005 06:01 PM

Re: xtra binaries

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:05:50 +1300, in message
*<enito1hfvtp1shshajtfvp9n8427ctsjn4@4ax.com>, Squirrel wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:44:51 +0000, Ralph Fox
> <ralphfralphf@xtraxtra.coco.nznz.undo-echo.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:46:08 GMT, in message
> >*<cPwjf.5022$vH5.272319@news.xtra.co.nz>, S Roby wrote:

> >> I noticed this too
> >> Even legit/non porn binaries have gone

> >On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.* groups.
> >

> tell me more about binaries,

4 November 2005 happens to be the date when I last downloaded a list of
newsgroups from Xtra (I was testing Agent 3.1's "Download newsgroup
descriptions" function).

After reading this thread yesterday evening, I checked the downloaded
list to count the number of alt.binaries.* groups.

> why all the interest???

There's multiple interest groups.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Seek and ye shall find,
Ask and ye shall be flamed.

Enkidu 12-01-2005 08:15 PM

Re: xtra binaries

Squirrel wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:44:51 +0000, Ralph Fox
> <ralphfralphf@xtraxtra.coco.nznz.undo-echo.invalid> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:46:08 GMT, in message
>> <cPwjf.5022$vH5.272319@news.xtra.co.nz>, S Roby wrote:

>>> I noticed this too Even legit/non porn binaries have gone

>> On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.*
>> groups.

> tell me more about binaries, why all the interest???

They'll tell you otherwise, but it's because they contain porn, or so
I'm told.

Cheers,

Cliff

mr gumpy 12-01-2005 09:36 PM

Re: xtra binaries

"Squirrel" <tribades@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:44:51 +0000, Ralph Fox
> <ralphfralphf@xtraxtra.coco.nznz.undo-echo.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:46:08 GMT, in message
>> <cPwjf.5022$vH5.272319@news.xtra.co.nz>, S Roby wrote:

>>> I noticed this too
>>> Even legit/non porn binaries have gone

>>On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.* groups.
>>

> tell me more about binaries, why all the interest???

alt.binaries is an area used mostly for exchanging porn, pirated music, and
other dubious binary files, but in amongst all the dross there are a few
nuggets to be found. Some years ago xtra removed binaries from their news
server (I believe because of pressure from the anti-porn lobby and possibly
bandwidth issues ) then quietly reinstated them. I am interested to see that
it is only in the last month they have disappeared again and wonder what the
reason is this time.

~misfit~ 12-02-2005 01:49 AM

Re: xtra binaries

Enkidu wrote:
> Squirrel wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:44:51 +0000, Ralph Fox
>> <ralphfralphf@xtraxtra.coco.nznz.undo-echo.invalid> wrote:

>>> On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.*
>>> groups.

>> tell me more about binaries, why all the interest???
>>

> They'll tell you otherwise, but it's because they contain porn, or so
> I'm told.

My fiancee subscribes to a wildlife photography binaries group where she
gets some amazing pictures.

She may get porn as well. If she does she hasn't showed me any. However,
she's constantly showing me pictures of wild animals in their natural
habitat.
--
~misfit~

S Roby 12-02-2005 03:22 AM

Re: xtra binaries

>> They'll tell you otherwise, but it's because they contain porn, or so
>> I'm told.

alt.binaries.schematics.electronics
I dont think many people will get aroused by these, but hey, bound to be a
few.

Its far easier to get porn by typing porn into google.

Enkidu 12-02-2005 06:44 AM

Re: xtra binaries

S Roby wrote:
>>> They'll tell you otherwise, but it's because they contain porn,
>>> or so I'm told.

> alt.binaries.schematics.electronics I dont think many people will get
> aroused by these, but hey, bound to be a few.

No need to respond, really. It was surely an obvious wind up, wasn't it?

> Its far easier to get porn by typing porn into google.

I wouldn't know. 8-)

Cheers,

Cliff