Velocity Reviews

-   -   Downloading FTA TV shows (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577136-downloading-fta-tv-shows.html)

steve 11-25-2005 09:14 PM

Downloading FTA TV shows

I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.

For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
the time.

Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.

So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I can't
usefully watch on the telly itself.

This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at 21:30......same
time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in 'HDTV' 16:9
format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a change.
Illegal?

Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
without getting Sky.

....and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.

Richard 11-25-2005 09:49 PM

Re: Downloading FTA TV shows

steve wrote:

> This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at 21:30......same
> time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in 'HDTV' 16:9
> format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a change.

It really is a lot better that way, seeing the whole picture.

shannon 11-25-2005 10:33 PM

Re: Downloading FTA TV shows

steve wrote:
> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
>
> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
> the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
> the time.
>
> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
>
> So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I can't
> usefully watch on the telly itself.
>
> This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at 21:30......same
> time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in 'HDTV' 16:9
> format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a change.
> Illegal?
>
> Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
> without getting Sky.
>
> ...and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.

So you steal it

Shane 11-25-2005 10:52 PM

Re: Downloading FTA TV shows

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:33:14 +1300, shannon wrote:

> steve wrote:
>> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
>>
>> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
>> the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
>> the time.
>>
>> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
>>
>> So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I can't
>> usefully watch on the telly itself.
>>
>> This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at 21:30......same
>> time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in 'HDTV' 16:9
>> format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a change.
>> Illegal?
>>
>> Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
>> without getting Sky.
>>
>> ...and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.
>>

> So you steal it

Think of it as Parallel Importing :)

CyiPherX 11-25-2005 11:25 PM

Re: Downloading FTA TV shows

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:14:29 +1300, steve wrote:

> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
>
> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
> the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
> the time.
>
> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
> SNIP

Have you checked your antenna?, if thats ok, then perhaps TV3 have a
fault, you could give them a call and let them know, worth a try.

CyiPherX

--
´╗┐Want to tell the world where you are??
Add yourself to either the nz.comp http://www.frappr.com/nzcompusenetgroup

shannon 11-25-2005 11:37 PM

Re: Downloading FTA TV shows

Shane wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:33:14 +1300, shannon wrote:
>
>> steve wrote:
>>> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
>>>
>>> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
>>> the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
>>> the time.
>>>
>>> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
>>>
>>> So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I can't
>>> usefully watch on the telly itself.
>>>
>>> This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at 21:30......same
>>> time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in 'HDTV' 16:9
>>> format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a change.
>>> Illegal?
>>>
>>> Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
>>> without getting Sky.
>>>
>>> ...and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.
>>>

>> So you steal it

> Think of it as Parallel Importing :)

Think of it as importing unauthorised counterfeit copies that infringe
the copyright of the producer.

Its a rather hypocritical ethical stance from someone who spends a lot
of his time in here preaching about the ethical nature of free software
to then try and excuse his infringement of the IP rights of others on
the grounds of convenience.

steve 11-26-2005 02:08 AM

Re: Downloading FTA TV shows

shannon wrote:

> steve wrote:
>> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
>>
>> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
>> the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
>> the time.
>>
>> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
>>
>> So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I
>> can't usefully watch on the telly itself.
>>
>> This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at
>> 21:30......same time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in
>> 'HDTV' 16:9 format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a
>> change. Illegal?
>>
>> Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
>> without getting Sky.
>>
>> ...and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.

> So you steal it

More like borrowed.

I already gave it back to the bit-bucket.

steve 11-26-2005 02:09 AM

Re: Downloading FTA TV shows

Shane wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:33:14 +1300, shannon wrote:
>
>> steve wrote:
>>> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
>>>
>>> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy
>>> in the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50%
>>> of the time.
>>>
>>> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
>>>
>>> So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I
>>> can't usefully watch on the telly itself.
>>>
>>> This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at
>>> 21:30......same time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it
>>> in 'HDTV' 16:9 format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a
>>> change. Illegal?
>>>
>>> Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
>>> without getting Sky.
>>>
>>> ...and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.
>>>

>> So you steal it

> Think of it as Parallel Importing :)

Damn.....sorry I didn't think of that.

steve 11-26-2005 02:11 AM

Re: Downloading FTA TV shows

shannon wrote:

> Shane wrote:

>>> So you steal it

>> Think of it as Parallel Importing :)

> Think of it as importing unauthorised counterfeit copies that infringe
> the copyright of the producer.

I didn't see an copyright mark on it.

> Its a rather hypocritical ethical stance from someone who spends a lot
> of his time in here preaching about the ethical nature of free software
> to then try and excuse his infringement of the IP rights of others on
> the grounds of convenience.

I hope you're not referring to me. If you are, you've got your facts wrong.

You've blurred me with some other OSS advocate.

I use open source because its.....convenient...and I don't mind pointing
that out as you will know.

Closed source software isn't unethical. Not sure where you got that idea
from.

steve 11-26-2005 02:13 AM

Re: Downloading FTA TV shows

CyiPherX wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:14:29 +1300, steve wrote:
>
>> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
>>
>> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
>> the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
>> the time.
>>
>> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
>> SNIP

> Have you checked your antenna?, if thats ok, then perhaps TV3 have a
> fault, you could give them a call and let them know, worth a try.
>
> CyiPherX

Why would be it be just the one channel?
The rest are fine.
TV3 used to be fine.
I'd call if I cared.

As it is, I don't wantch much and what I do watch I can see via other means.