Velocity Reviews

-   -   Do-It-Yourself Cellphone (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577063-do-it-yourself-cellphone.html)

Roger_Nickel 11-19-2005 02:12 AM

Do-It-Yourself Cellphone

http://news.com.com/2100-1008_3-5953682.html

If you want a phone which uses Skype over WiFi when available and
falls back on the cellullar network otherwise then build it yourself.

John in Surrey 11-19-2005 11:49 AM

Re: Do-It-Yourself Cellphone

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:12:12 +1300, Roger_Nickel <rnickel@x.co.nz>
wrote:

>http://news.com.com/2100-1008_3-5953682.html
>
>If you want a phone which uses Skype over WiFi when available and
>falls back on the cellullar network otherwise then build it yourself.

I want one that pugs straight into the router and doesnt requrie the
PC to be on...
john
Images of home (NZ)
http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
What we are up to in the UK
http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

ChrisOD 11-19-2005 09:40 PM

Re: Do-It-Yourself Cellphone

In article <n84un1ld2oa75c3otv9k6hbens30sfid70@4ax.com>, John in Surrey wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:12:12 +1300, Roger_Nickel <rnickel@x.co.nz>
> wrote:
>
>>http://news.com.com/2100-1008_3-5953682.html
>>
>>If you want a phone which uses Skype over WiFi when available and
>>falls back on the cellullar network otherwise then build it yourself.

> I want one that pugs straight into the router and doesnt requrie the
> PC to be on...
> john
> Images of home (NZ)
> http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
> What we are up to in the UK
> http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

Use pocket skype on a windows phone and a WiFi AP

-=rjh=- 11-19-2005 09:59 PM

Re: Do-It-Yourself Cellphone

John in Surrey wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:12:12 +1300, Roger_Nickel <rnickel@x.co.nz>
> wrote:
>

>>http://news.com.com/2100-1008_3-5953682.html
>>
>>If you want a phone which uses Skype over WiFi when available and
>>falls back on the cellullar network otherwise then build it yourself.

> I want one that pugs straight into the router and doesnt requrie the
> PC to be on...

Isn't that what the Woosh IP phone basically is?

Flashcards.co.nz has a cordless POTS/skype phone but this still requires
a PC for the Skype service - it looks pretty good, but if it connected
straight into the LAN it would be ideal.

-=rjh=- 11-19-2005 10:02 PM

Re: Do-It-Yourself Cellphone

ChrisOD wrote:
> In article <n84un1ld2oa75c3otv9k6hbens30sfid70@4ax.com>, John in Surrey wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:12:12 +1300, Roger_Nickel <rnickel@x.co.nz>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>http://news.com.com/2100-1008_3-5953682.html
>>>
>>>If you want a phone which uses Skype over WiFi when available and
>>>falls back on the cellullar network otherwise then build it yourself.

>>I want one that pugs straight into the router and doesnt requrie the
>>PC to be on...
>>john
>>Images of home (NZ)
>>http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
>>What we are up to in the UK
>>http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

> Use pocket skype on a windows phone and a WiFi AP

This is one of the uses of the Nokia 770; it isn't a phone at all, it is
a cheap linux based wifi/bluetooth internet tablet, but a Skype client
is under development for it.