Velocity Reviews

-   -   news on paradise (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t577025-news-on-paradise.html)

sue.frame@gmail.com 11-16-2005 05:40 AM

news on paradise

on cable in wellington
running thunderbird
getting a weird error when I go to read nz.comp or to subscribe to
anything:
my IP address then the message 'you have no permission to talk'
pretty sure i didn't p*ss the gods of usenet off just yet ......
any ideas folks?
or anyone else experiencing something similar?

ty

Ralph Fox 11-16-2005 09:39 AM

Re: news on paradise

On 15 Nov 2005 21:40:50 -0800, in message
*<1132119650.271935.74070@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>, sue.frame@gmail.com wrote:

> on cable in wellington
> running thunderbird
> getting a weird error when I go to read nz.comp or to subscribe to
> anything:
> my IP address then the message 'you have no permission to talk'
> pretty sure i didn't p*ss the gods of usenet off just yet ......
> any ideas folks?
> or anyone else experiencing something similar?

It is a Paradise/Clear problem -- a configuration on their news server.
Complain to the helpdesk, quoting your IP address.

Explanation

The Paradise/Ckear news server is configured to allow Paradise/Clear
customers and only Paradise/Clear customers to use it.
The server checks that your IP address is a Paradise/Clear IP address.
If your IP address belongs to a different ISP, or if the server does
not recognize your IP address as a Paradise/Clear IP address, then you
will get the same error that you see.

Your IP address 203.97.108.58 is a TelstraClear IP address
(203-97-108-58.cable.telstraclear.net), but evidently the Paradise/Clear
news server does not (yet) know that it is. Ask the helpdesk to get this
fixed, and tell them your IP address (and the error message) so their
technical people will better know which changes need to be made.