Velocity Reviews

-   -   Agent 3.1 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576914-agent-3-1-a.html)

Lukagain 11-04-2005 11:39 AM

Agent 3.1

Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
though.
What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

GraB 11-04-2005 12:36 PM

Re: Agent 3.1

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain <Elmo747@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
>benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
>though.
>What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

Agent 2 here.

Brendan 11-04-2005 02:07 PM

Re: Agent 3.1

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain wrote:

> Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
> benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
> though.
> What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

I use 40tude Dialog. Agent clone, with all the stuff they forgot (including
multiple news servers), and free.

--

.... Brendan

#9501 +(6910)- [X]

<AgentSmith> It seems you have been leading two lives, Mr. Anderson. In one
life, you are Robert Anderson, assistant cook at a Jack in the Box in
Mesquite....in the other...you go by the chat alias "Randerson"...spreading
homosexual propoganda, lying, and being a generally immature pest...
<AgentSmith> One of these...has a future.
<Randerson> LMAO OMFG where's the phone, I have to tell Dean about this
<AgentSmith> How can you use the phone when you cannot...speak?
*** AgentSmith sets mode: +m

Note: All my comments are copyright 5/11/2005 2:53:18 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Squirrel 11-04-2005 05:15 PM

Re: Agent 3.1

wrote:

>Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
>benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
>though.
>What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

I just downgraded to an earlier version of Agent, over ten years ago I
purchased a reg key, $50 odd US, lately been using latest Free Agent
but wanted to use killfiles, did not have enough dosh for an upgrade,
so being cheeky I wrote and asked if they still had a copy of my key,
they emaild the key to me very quickly, but told me I would have to
downgrade, no skin off my nose, it does what I need it to do.

Squirrel
I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

Ray Greene 11-04-2005 07:25 PM

Re: Agent 3.1

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 03:07:13 +1300, Brendan <corum.misc@orcon.net.nzz> wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain wrote:
>
>> Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
>> benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
>> though.
>> What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

>I use 40tude Dialog. Agent clone, with all the stuff they forgot (including
>multiple news servers), and free.

Can Dialog do tabbed full-sized windows like Agent does?

--
Ray Greene.

Geoff M 11-04-2005 09:37 PM

Re: Agent 3.1

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain wrote:

> Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
> benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
> though.
> What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

I started with Agent 1.x way back when, moved to Agent 2 when it came out,
which really offered nothing new. Got sick of the shortcomings and moved to
40tude Dialog - similar to Agent, but with most of the faults fixed. I
won't be going back. It is free too.
I tried Agent 3 the other day, and didn't like it. IMO the interface sux,
it is slow, and the multiple server support is not good. Won't be going
back to Agent. There have been improvements wanted in Agent for YEARS, but
Forte have never done anything, so they gave away their lead in the market.
You can't keep selling what is effectively the same product with minimal
improvement for 10 years
Geoff

Steven H 11-04-2005 09:43 PM

Re: Agent 3.1

Hello Lukagain,

> What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

JetBrains Omea Reader 2.0 (http://www.jetbrains.com/omea/reader/)

does RSS, Atom, USENET, Web, the pro version basically takes over the functionalaty
of Outlook (well through synchronization)

i did use 4dtude, but when i went searching for a decent program that does
RSS, ATOM i found this that does both and switched over to it

----------------
the madGeek

Squirrel 11-04-2005 09:53 PM

Re: Agent 3.1

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:37:53 +1300, Geoff M
<geoff_m@bigfoot.com.Delete.this.bit> wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain wrote:
>
>> Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
>> benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
>> though.
>> What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

>I started with Agent 1.x way back when, moved to Agent 2 when it came out,
>which really offered nothing new. Got sick of the shortcomings and moved to
>40tude Dialog - similar to Agent, but with most of the faults fixed. I
>won't be going back. It is free too.
>I tried Agent 3 the other day, and didn't like it. IMO the interface sux,
>it is slow, and the multiple server support is not good. Won't be going
>back to Agent. There have been improvements wanted in Agent for YEARS, but
>Forte have never done anything, so they gave away their lead in the market.
>You can't keep selling what is effectively the same product with minimal
>improvement for 10 years
>Geoff

I downloaded latest Agent to my lap top, it is like a foreign
language, simply caanot get it to look even remotely like I have mine
set on my pc, no about of jiggery pokery seems to make much
difference.

XP 11-04-2005 10:46 PM

Re: Agent 3.1

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain <Elmo747@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
>benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
>though.
>What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

Its been lambasted on Web sites as being far to complicated..

Plus in the news group also..

darkknight 11-05-2005 12:07 AM

Re: Agent 3.1

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 21:43:11 +0000 (UTC), Steven H wrote:

>Hello Lukagain,
>
>> What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

>JetBrains Omea Reader 2.0 (http://www.jetbrains.com/omea/reader/)
>
>does RSS, Atom, USENET, Web, the pro version basically takes over the functionalaty
>of Outlook (well through synchronization)
>
>i did use 4dtude, but when i went searching for a decent program that does
>RSS, ATOM i found this that does both and switched over to it

The website says it's a dot net app. How much RAM does it use?