Velocity Reviews

-   -   MOBO and RAID blues (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576822-mobo-and-raid-blues.html)

Robert Singers 10-26-2005 07:32 AM

Re: MOBO and RAID blues

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea John said

> Well I installed a new motherboard and it's very nice but wont
> recognise my 2 drive RAID striping array. The data is there. I can
> view the files with a software RAID but it takes about an hour to
> read. I know RAID reconsructor can pull the arrays onto another single
> drive and combine them but I don't have th $99 US to buy it.

Why not put the old MOBO back in and copy the data off to something like a
USB HDD and rebuild the array on the new MOBO?

--
rob singers
pull finger to reply

Mercury 10-26-2005 08:06 AM

Re: MOBO and RAID blues

You should never have issue with reading data off a RAID 1 array because
each disc is identical - don't expect a different RAID controller to see it
as a RAID 1 array though 'cos each vendor has different standards... Plug
one drive in by itself, save the data then read the manual on how / if you
can do an online build of a new array using the new controller. Check driver
and BIOS versions.

RAID 0 - well, bad news, Robert has already answered that. You should never
store data you can't afford to have trashed for you on a RAID 0 array,
unless you are satisfied with you level of backups ...

John 10-27-2005 05:36 AM

Re: MOBO and RAID blues

I replaced the MOBO 'cos it was dead.
Software is my only option.

Jasen Betts 10-28-2005 09:13 AM

Re: MOBO and RAID blues

["Followup-To:" header set to nz.tech.]
On 2005-10-27, John <no.one@home> wrote:

> Well I installed a new motherboard and it's very nice but wont recognise my
> 2 drive RAID striping array. The data is there. I can view the files with a
> software RAID but it takes about an hour to read. I know RAID reconsructor
> can pull the arrays onto another single drive and combine them but I don't
> have th $99 US to buy it.

Linux is free... (to download) or $5 for a CD..
it may or may not be capable of reading your raid (and copying the files to
a new disk)

Bye.
Jasen