Velocity Reviews

-   -   20 Years of Microsoft Windows (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576724-20-years-of-microsoft-windows.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-15-2005 09:42 AM

20 Years of Microsoft Windows

PC Magazine has done a feature
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1868435,00.asp> to commemorate the
upcoming 20th anniversary of Microsoft Windows. Has some interesting
quotes.

Ray Ozzie on the tribulations of 16-bit APIs:

"Of the five years of development time that it took to develop Notes,
about a third of it was spent on memory management," Ozzie recalls.
"It was just staggering, and it wasn't the app, it was just fitting
it in memory."

A very perceptive comment from Bill Gates, which I think could be applied to
other contexts:

The funny thing about controversy in the computer industry is there's
a period when things are controversial, and then a period when they are
obvious. You never get your moment where people say "Oh you were right."
It went from "Windows is a joke, who needs it, it's slow" to "Well, of
course we're using Windows, are you kidding me, let's move on to the

Jim Cannavino's opinion:

[Windows is] a very successful piece of software, a very successful
venture. But a mainframe boots up faster than a laptop, and that's kind
of silly. Plus, the architecture really doesn't lend itself to
high-level security. Basically, you've got smart guys plugging holes.
Though they do a really good job of it, they can never tell when they're
finished. If you restructured the architecture of the system and really
put some boundaries up that were hard to get by, then there's no reason
that your e-mail system should be able to corrupt your file system.

Charles Simonyi claiming that a PC running Windows is easier to use than
most household appliances (would you agree?):

"Ninety percent of consumer electronics devices are complete garbage in
terms of usability. Then you sit down at a personal computer, which
offers a functionality way beyond the VCR or the stereo or the alarm
clock, and it's incredibly easy to use. It takes its interface
seriously. It makes a simple state of being available to the user and
offers uniform methods for changing that state."

Gordon 10-16-2005 05:05 AM

Re: 20 Years of Microsoft Windows

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:42:57 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> A very perceptive comment from Bill Gates, which I think could be applied to
> other contexts:
>
> The funny thing about controversy in the computer industry is there's
> a period when things are controversial, and then a period when they are
> obvious. You never get your moment where people say "Oh you were right."
> It went from "Windows is a joke, who needs it, it's slow" to "Well, of
> course we're using Windows, are you kidding me, let's move on to the

When did he say this?

El Penguino 10-17-2005 08:46 AM

Re: 20 Years of Microsoft Windows

Wonder how many times I have rebooted in 20 years :-)