Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is a static IP still standard from Orcon? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576712-is-a-static-ip-still-standard-from-orcon.html)

MarkH 10-14-2005 06:55 AM

Is a static IP still standard from Orcon?

Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all UBS
connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into with
VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Stu Fleming 10-14-2005 08:20 AM

Re: Is a static IP still standard from Orcon?

MarkH wrote:
> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all UBS
> connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into with
> VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

There's an Open Source solution using VNC and SSH that doesn't require a
static IP, and no ingress firewall changes.

Craig Whitmore 10-14-2005 08:41 AM

"Stu Fleming" <stewart@wic.co.nz> wrote in message
> MarkH wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all
>> UBS connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into
>> with VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

Yes. Orcon UBS get Static IP Addresses

Thanks
Craig

Not Dave 10-14-2005 11:02 AM

Re: Is a static IP still standard from Orcon?

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:20:02 +1300, Stu Fleming <stewart@wic.co.nz>
growled these words from under a rock:

>MarkH wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all UBS
>> connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into with
>> VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

>There's an Open Source solution using VNC and SSH that doesn't require a
>static IP, and no ingress firewall changes.

Um, feeling like sharing?

MarkH 10-14-2005 11:30 AM

Stu Fleming <stewart@wic.co.nz> wrote in news:434f6a2f$1@clear.net.nz:

> MarkH wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with
>> all UBS connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote
>> into with VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

> There's an Open Source solution using VNC and SSH that doesn't require
> a static IP, and no ingress firewall changes.

So how does my PC find the other PC then?

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Stu Fleming 10-14-2005 09:08 PM

MarkH wrote:
> Stu Fleming <stewart@wic.co.nz> wrote in news:434f6a2f$1@clear.net.nz:
>

>>MarkH wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with
>>>all UBS connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote
>>>into with VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

>>There's an Open Source solution using VNC and SSH that doesn't require
>>a static IP, and no ingress firewall changes.

> So how does my PC find the other PC then?

Open a secure tunnel from the other PC to a relay server running SSHD,
open a secure tunnel from your PC to the relay server, enable port
forwarding in SSH. Relay server can be on your PC, so IP address is
known. Only drawback is that the remote user has to open the tunnel
from their end.

It might not be exactly suitable for your situation, but we use that
technique a lot for remote stuff to ADSL clients. E-mail me and I'll
send you a link with the details.

Murray Symon 10-15-2005 01:40 AM

Dynamic DNS ... http://www.dydns.com

steve 10-15-2005 11:14 AM

MarkH wrote:

> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all
> UBS
> connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into with
> VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

I have a static IP with Orcon via UBS.

I asked for it and they assured me it was static.

Maybe you're having firewall troubles at the other end?

MarkH 10-15-2005 12:43 PM

Re: Is a static IP still standard from Orcon?

steve <steve@killfilesarefun.org.nz> wrote in

> MarkH wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all
>> UBS
>> connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into with
>> VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

> I have a static IP with Orcon via UBS.
>
> I asked for it and they assured me it was static.
>
> Maybe you're having firewall troubles at the other end?

It turns out that there was a problem with the PC and it was not logged in.
This is a friends PC that is located at another location, so it is not
readily accessible by me or my friend.

The IP number had definitely not changed and it is all working well now.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade