Velocity Reviews

-   -   Inorganic Collections and Old Screens (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576658-inorganic-collections-and-old-screens.html)

BitBandit@gmail.com 10-07-2005 11:46 PM

Inorganic Collections and Old Screens

We're currently having an inorganic collection around our way and I've
noticed that every single old computer screen that has been put out has
had its top smashed in. I've noticed this in past years too.

I'm guessing that there must be something inside the screens that's
valuable, but what could be worth so much to make it worth anyone's
time to go around smashing up old screens? Gold? Copper? Something
else?

I've also noticed that someone really likes old power cords, because
every appliance down our street and in surrounding streets has had its
power cord cut off. Surely these can't be worth more than a dollar or
so to buy at wholesale prices? Who would need so many old ones that it
would be worth their time driving around and scavenging them off old
appliances?

XPD 10-08-2005 12:32 AM

Re: Inorganic Collections and Old Screens

<BitBandit@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1128728810.808958.233520@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
> We're currently having an inorganic collection around our way and I've
> noticed that every single old computer screen that has been put out has
> had its top smashed in. I've noticed this in past years too.
>
> I'm guessing that there must be something inside the screens that's
> valuable, but what could be worth so much to make it worth anyone's
> time to go around smashing up old screens? Gold? Copper? Something
> else?

Yeah we had that issue last year as well.... they take something. But its
also one reason I dont put out my monitors now until the day of the
collection (or near to as possible) as Im fed up with cleaning up the broken
glass out of the grass.

XP 10-08-2005 12:56 AM

On 7 Oct 2005 16:46:50 -0700, BitBandit@gmail.com wrote:

>We're currently having an inorganic collection around our way and I've
>noticed that every single old computer screen that has been put out has
>had its top smashed in. I've noticed this in past years too.

No just Vandalism

In the EU you must deposit them to a recalling place as they do have harmful
stuff in them, like the Phosphors.

>I'm guessing that there must be something inside the screens that's
>valuable, but what could be worth so much to make it worth anyone's
>time to go around smashing up old screens? Gold? Copper? Something
>else?
>
>I've also noticed that someone really likes old power cords, because
>every appliance down our street and in surrounding streets has had its
>power cord cut off. Surely these can't be worth more than a dollar or
>so to buy at wholesale prices? Who would need so many old ones that it
>would be worth their time driving around and scavenging them off old
>appliances?

No that is a Legal Electrical requirement and the Copper is worth some thing..

S Roby 10-08-2005 01:32 AM

In article <1128728810.808958.233520@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups .com>, BitBandit@gmail.com wrote:
>We're currently having an inorganic collection around our way and I've
>noticed that every single old computer screen that has been put out has
>had its top smashed in. I've noticed this in past years too.
>
>I'm guessing that there must be something inside the screens that's
>valuable, but what could be worth so much to make it worth anyone's

There are big copper coils at the back of the screen

Waylon Kenning 10-08-2005 02:54 AM

Re: Inorganic Collections and Old Screens

T'was the 7 Oct 2005 16:46:50 -0700 when I remembered
BitBandit@gmail.com saying something like this:

>I'm guessing that there must be something inside the screens that's
>valuable, but what could be worth so much to make it worth anyone's
>time to go around smashing up old screens? Gold? Copper? Something
>else?

Fun?
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

BitBandit@gmail.com 10-08-2005 03:32 AM

Re: Inorganic Collections and Old Screens

That copper must be worth a lot for someone to go around smashing open
old screens in the pouring rain! Maybe I should have kept it after all
and found out who buys the copper...

I've got two Panasonic dot matrix printers if anyone wants them. One a
normal size A4 carriage and the other a wide carriage. Both are in
such good condition that I hate to just throw them out, but I'm moving
house and I have no need for them now. They're yours if you promise to
give them a good home and will collect them from Glenfield, Auckland.

Nicolaas Hawkins 10-08-2005 03:54 AM

Re: Inorganic Collections and Old Screens

On 7 Oct 2005 16:46:50 -0700, <BitBandit@gmail.com> wrote in
<news:1128728810.808958.233520@o13g2000cwo.googleg roups.com>:

> We're currently having an inorganic collection around our way and I've
> noticed that every single old computer screen that has been put out has
> had its top smashed in. I've noticed this in past years too.
>
> I'm guessing that there must be something inside the screens that's
> valuable, but what could be worth so much to make it worth anyone's
> time to go around smashing up old screens? Gold? Copper? Something
> else?

Possibly they have been intentionally smashed prior to disposal as a
safety measure to eliminate the possibility of their imploding and
injuring somebody - your kid, perhaps?

> I've also noticed that someone really likes old power cords, because
> every appliance down our street and in surrounding streets has had its
> power cord cut off. Surely these can't be worth more than a dollar or
> so to buy at wholesale prices? Who would need so many old ones that it
> would be worth their time driving around and scavenging them off old
> appliances?

Once again, possibly a safety measure to discourage re-use of discarded
and possibly electrically unsafe appliances.

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... Do not try to catch a dropped cactus.

Richard 10-08-2005 09:20 PM

BitBandit@gmail.com wrote:
> That copper must be worth a lot for someone to go around smashing open
> old screens in the pouring rain! Maybe I should have kept it after all
> and found out who buys the copper...
>
> I've got two Panasonic dot matrix printers if anyone wants them. One a
> normal size A4 carriage and the other a wide carriage. Both are in
> such good condition that I hate to just throw them out, but I'm moving
> house and I have no need for them now. They're yours if you promise to
> give them a good home and will collect them from Glenfield, Auckland.

Not really, they type of people I have observed taking them most likly dont put
any value on there time so they treat it as effectivly free money, nevermind
that there van is sitting there idling while they pull it out etc.

S Roby 10-08-2005 10:41 PM

In article <1e2wom59fwk8g.dlg@nrph.top.net.nz>, raptor@top.net.nz wrote:
>On 7 Oct 2005 16:46:50 -0700, <BitBandit@gmail.com> wrote in
><news:1128728810.808958.233520@o13g2000cwo.google groups.com>:
>
>> We're currently having an inorganic collection around our way and I've
>> noticed that every single old computer screen that has been put out has
>> had its top smashed in. I've noticed this in past years too.
>>
>> I'm guessing that there must be something inside the screens that's
>> valuable, but what could be worth so much to make it worth anyone's
>> time to go around smashing up old screens? Gold? Copper? Something
>> else?

>Possibly they have been intentionally smashed prior to disposal as a
>safety measure to eliminate the possibility of their imploding and
>injuring somebody - your kid, perhaps?
>

>> I've also noticed that someone really likes old power cords, because
>> every appliance down our street and in surrounding streets has had its
>> power cord cut off. Surely these can't be worth more than a dollar or
>> so to buy at wholesale prices? Who would need so many old ones that it
>> would be worth their time driving around and scavenging them off old
>> appliances?

>Once again, possibly a safety measure to discourage re-use of discarded
>and possibly electrically unsafe appliances.

They get smashed open & glass is left all over the place, so its not done for
safety issuses.

BitBandit@gmail.com 10-08-2005 11:29 PM

Re: Inorganic Collections and Old Screens

I've been told that they will take just about any sort of wiring and
they burn the plastic off so they're left with the copper.

I've had electrical cords, printer cables, mouse tails, etc. All with
the end connectors cut off and left and just the cable / wire taken.

I've also looked at some of the smashed screens and found them all
damaged in the same way, with the end of the tube smashed off and
whatever was on the end (copper coil?) taken.

I'm sure it's not a safety issue or the notice from the council would
have mentioned removing power cords and not putting out TV/monitor
tubes.