Velocity Reviews

-   -   Talk about corruption is high places (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576647-talk-about-corruption-is-high-places.html)

Thor 10-06-2005 10:51 AM

Talk about corruption is high places

Got a phish about my supposed Amazon account,

Having spoofstick in Firefox installed decided to have a look.

The actual site is ks.edu.tw a whois gets this info

Ministry of Education Computer Center
12th Fl, 106, Hoping E. Road, Sec 2.
Taiwan Republic of China, R.O.C
TW

Domain Name: edu.tw

Contact:
TANet, Administrator tanetadm@moe.edu.tw

*~~~~~~~~~Thor

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-06-2005 06:40 PM

Re: Talk about corruption is high places

Thor wrote:
> Got a phish about my supposed Amazon account,
> The actual site is ks.edu.tw a whois gets this info

Where is the corruption? it may just be that a webserver got 0wnd

> Taiwan Republic of China, R.O.C

I thought Taiwan was seperate from China?

--
http://dave.net.nz - my site.
http://www.dave.net.nz/csb/id37.htm <- Blog.

Thor 10-06-2005 07:04 PM

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Thor wrote:
>> Got a phish about my supposed Amazon account,
>> The actual site is ks.edu.tw a whois gets this info

> Where is the corruption? it may just be that a webserver got 0wnd

Possible of course, hopefully it will be sorted quickly in that case.

>> Taiwan Republic of China, R.O.C

> I thought Taiwan was seperate from China?

They are, note Republic of China, not People's Republic of China or
similar.

--
*~~~~~~~~~Thor

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-06-2005 07:08 PM

Thor wrote:
>>> Got a phish about my supposed Amazon account,
>>>The actual site is ks.edu.tw a whois gets this info

>>Where is the corruption? it may just be that a webserver got 0wnd

> Possible of course, hopefully it will be sorted quickly in that case.

hopefully yeah.

>>> Taiwan Republic of China, R.O.C

>>I thought Taiwan was seperate from China?

> They are, note Republic of China, not People's Republic of China or
> similar.

ahh ok.

steve 10-06-2005 09:35 PM

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Thor wrote:
>> Got a phish about my supposed Amazon account,
>> The actual site is ks.edu.tw a whois gets this info

> Where is the corruption? it may just be that a webserver got 0wnd
>
>> Taiwan Republic of China, R.O.C

> I thought Taiwan was seperate from China?

Taiwan claimed for many years to be the legitimate goverment of China...and
the Taiwanese legislature was populated by MPs, last elected prior to the
revolution, from regions all over China.

Taiwan is the "Republic of China".

China is the "People's Republic of China".

About 29 countries recognise Taiwan as "China"....mainly tiny countries that
get a healthy dose of foreign aid from Taiwan.

GraB 10-07-2005 03:15 AM

Re: Talk about corruption is high places

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:35:52 +1300, steve
<steve@killfilesarefun.org.nz> wrote:

>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> Thor wrote:
>>> Got a phish about my supposed Amazon account,
>>> The actual site is ks.edu.tw a whois gets this info

>> Where is the corruption? it may just be that a webserver got 0wnd
>>
>>> Taiwan Republic of China, R.O.C

>> I thought Taiwan was seperate from China?

>Taiwan claimed for many years to be the legitimate goverment of China...and
>the Taiwanese legislature was populated by MPs, last elected prior to the
>revolution, from regions all over China.
>
>Taiwan is the "Republic of China".
>
>China is the "People's Republic of China".
>
>About 29 countries recognise Taiwan as "China"....mainly tiny countries that
>get a healthy dose of foreign aid from Taiwan.

China's claim that Taiwan is just a province of China is invalid as
the legitimate government of China were forced to retreat to Taiwan by
the communists, who never took Taiwan. Many countries, like NZ, are
being forced to recognise China as legitimate and accept China's 'one
China' policy, as PM Clark has done, to get access to China's large
markets. In a way it sucks.

Rob J 10-07-2005 09:28 AM

Re: Talk about corruption is high places

In article <434598de@news.orcon.net.nz>, steve@killfilesarefun.org.nz
says...
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
> > Thor wrote:
> >> Got a phish about my supposed Amazon account,
> >> The actual site is ks.edu.tw a whois gets this info

> > Where is the corruption? it may just be that a webserver got 0wnd
> >
> >> Taiwan Republic of China, R.O.C

> > I thought Taiwan was seperate from China?

> Taiwan claimed for many years to be the legitimate goverment of China...and
> the Taiwanese legislature was populated by MPs, last elected prior to the
> revolution, from regions all over China.
>
> Taiwan is the "Republic of China".
>
> China is the "People's Republic of China".
>
> About 29 countries recognise Taiwan as "China"....mainly tiny countries that
> get a healthy dose of foreign aid from Taiwan.

Countries that are not kowtowing to Beijing - good on them.

Practically everyone else has bowed to threats, blandishments and bribes
from the PRC.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-07-2005 10:34 AM

Re: Talk about corruption is high places

In article <dqpbk1tdf3era17j0plfeq8l7f339i4bjt@4ax.com>,
GraB <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote:

>China's claim that Taiwan is just a province of China is invalid as
>the legitimate government of China were forced to retreat to Taiwan by
>the communists, who never took Taiwan.

That's like saying that the legitimate government of the original 13 US
colonies was forced to retreat to Canada by the pro-independence
fighters.

>Many countries, like NZ, are
>being forced to recognise China as legitimate and accept China's 'one
>China' policy, as PM Clark has done, to get access to China's large
>markets. In a way it sucks.

Everything in politics sucks. Trading with China sucks, and the UN
sucks. But they're both better than the alternative, which is clinging
to the illusion of US dominance in world affairs.

GraB 10-07-2005 11:41 AM

Re: Talk about corruption is high places

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 23:34:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>In article <dqpbk1tdf3era17j0plfeq8l7f339i4bjt@4ax.com>,
> GraB <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>China's claim that Taiwan is just a province of China is invalid as
>>the legitimate government of China were forced to retreat to Taiwan by
>>the communists, who never took Taiwan.

>That's like saying that the legitimate government of the original 13 US
>colonies was forced to retreat to Canada by the pro-independence
>fighters.

Not quite the same.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-07-2005 09:42 PM

Re: Talk about corruption is high places

In article <ngmck19g6gp436dalg2bqvufmemmin5afh@4ax.com>,
GraB <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 23:34:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
><ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In article <dqpbk1tdf3era17j0plfeq8l7f339i4bjt@4ax.com>,
>> GraB <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>>China's claim that Taiwan is just a province of China is invalid as
>>>the legitimate government of China were forced to retreat to Taiwan by
>>>the communists, who never took Taiwan.

>>That's like saying that the legitimate government of the original 13 US
>>colonies was forced to retreat to Canada by the pro-independence
>>fighters.

>Not quite the same.

Why not?