Velocity Reviews

-   -   Bill Gates now huge Linux user (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576643-bill-gates-now-huge-linux-user.html)

Evil Bastard 10-05-2005 11:59 PM

Bill Gates now huge Linux user

....by virtue of the Linux-powered render farm in Peter Jackson's
production company, which will be used to create the movie version of
the 'Halo' PC game.

--
Cheers
EB

Nathan Mercer 10-06-2005 06:02 AM

Re: Bill Gates now huge Linux user

Evil Bastard wrote:
> ...by virtue of the Linux-powered render farm in Peter Jackson's
> production company, which will be used to create the movie version of
> the 'Halo' PC game.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face

Shane 10-06-2005 06:12 AM

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:59:41 +1300, Evil Bastard wrote:

> ...by virtue of the Linux-powered render farm in Peter Jackson's
> production company, which will be used to create the movie version of the
> 'Halo' PC game.
>
> --
> Cheers
> EB

isnt the first time
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/int...l/default.mspx

Chris Hope 10-06-2005 06:16 AM

Shane wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:59:41 +1300, Evil Bastard wrote:
>
>> ...by virtue of the Linux-powered render farm in Peter Jackson's
>> production company, which will be used to create the movie version of
>> the 'Halo' PC game.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> EB

> isnt the first time

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/int...l/default.mspx

That was FreeBSD, not Linux ;)

Shane 10-06-2005 06:24 AM

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 19:16:28 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

> Shane wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:59:41 +1300, Evil Bastard wrote:
>>
>>> ...by virtue of the Linux-powered render farm in Peter Jackson's
>>> production company, which will be used to create the movie version of
>>> the 'Halo' PC game.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers
>>> EB

>> isnt the first time
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/int...l/default.mspx
>
> That was FreeBSD, not Linux ;)

Picky Picky Picky :-P

shannon 10-06-2005 06:55 AM

Chris Hope wrote:
> Shane wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:59:41 +1300, Evil Bastard wrote:
>>

>>>...by virtue of the Linux-powered render farm in Peter Jackson's
>>>production company, which will be used to create the movie version of
>>>the 'Halo' PC game.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Cheers
>>>EB

>>isnt the first time
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/int...l/default.mspx
>
> That was FreeBSD, not Linux ;)

Why would they care ?
Its not like renderfarms or modeling or compositing software are any
sort of core business for Microsoft.
They never have been, they have come to linux systems from Silicon
Graphics unix systems.
Weta uses software that is owned by Apple and Pixar, and all the sound
is edited on Macs but no one has yet remarked on Steve Jobs involvement
in the Halo movie.
It just doesn't matter. (repeat until the penny drops)

Chris Hope 10-06-2005 07:12 AM

shannon wrote:

> Chris Hope wrote:
>> Shane wrote:

>>>isnt the first time

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/int...l/default.mspx

>> That was FreeBSD, not Linux ;)
>>

> Why would they care ?
> Its not like renderfarms or modeling or compositing software are any
> sort of core business for Microsoft.
> They never have been, they have come to linux systems from Silicon
> Graphics unix systems.
> Weta uses software that is owned by Apple and Pixar, and all the sound
> is edited on Macs but no one has yet remarked on Steve Jobs
> involvement in the Halo movie.

What has that got to do to with what I posted? I was merely pointing out
that Hotmail used FreeBSD and not Linux before MS bought them out. And
in any case they switched it all over to Windows in 2000 anyway.

> It just doesn't matter. (repeat until the penny drops)

No kidding.

thingy 10-06-2005 08:11 AM

Evil Bastard wrote:
> ...by virtue of the Linux-powered render farm in Peter Jackson's
> production company, which will be used to create the movie version of
> the 'Halo' PC game.

Part of the deal is that PJ has to move to a MS cluster instead of a
Linux one......

;]

regards

Thing

Mark Remfrey 10-06-2005 08:15 AM

Re: Bill Gates now huge Linux user

That's not quite true WRT Microsoft being into modelling/rendering software.
They bought SoftImage in the mid/late 90's, and tried to run with that for a
while to target the games market, but failed miserably. So they sold it.

Not all software that Weta uses is from Apple & Pixar. The stuff from Apple
is predominantly compositing/editing software (Shake), and the stuff from
Pixar is rendering licenses (Renderman). They still use a truckload of
Alias|Wavefront tools for modelling, and a swag of proprietary tools
developed before/during LOTR that are Unix, NT & Mac based. Not to mention
some big iron from SGI running Discreet gear such as Inferno.

At that end of the day, they get what is necessary to complete a task, and
if they can't find anything, they write it themselves.

--

Regards,
Mark Remfrey

"Two wrongs don't make a right.... it usually takes three or more!"

thingy 10-06-2005 08:16 AM

shannon wrote:
> Chris Hope wrote:
>
>> Shane wrote:

>>> isnt the first time
>>>

>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/int...l/default.mspx
>>

>> That was FreeBSD, not Linux ;)
>>

> Why would they care ?
> Its not like renderfarms or modeling or compositing software are any
> sort of core business for Microsoft.
> They never have been, they have come to linux systems from Silicon
> Graphics unix systems.
> Weta uses software that is owned by Apple and Pixar, and all the sound
> is edited on Macs but no one has yet remarked on Steve Jobs involvement
> in the Halo movie.
> It just doesn't matter. (repeat until the penny drops)

It seems to come down to MS worrying that Linux is preceived to be a
leader in any particular IT niche...

I believe Steve Balmer accepted Linux was leading in clusters, and MS
had a way to catch up, but it was going to be a priority...

The artists must use high end workstations and there must have good
profit margins on these things, something MS would be foolish not to
want to be into. The high profile Linux gets from being in Holywood and
the "sexy image" must do wonders for Linux boxes as well, much to the
concern of MS, Im sure.

regards

Thing