Velocity Reviews

-   -   need linux help please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576607-need-linux-help-please.html)

Gordon 10-03-2005 03:34 AM

Re: need linux help please

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:15:55 +1300, Alan wrote:

> If you have an ISO file then, based on my burning software, I think
> you just tell it to burn using the ISO as the source, and check a box
> somewhere to make the output CD bootable.

An iso file of an image of a CD. Just burn to CD as an iso image and
all the files will be the same, and in the same places as on the
orginal CD. If the orginal CD boots so will/should any CD's burnt
from the orginals iso image.

me.at@yahoo..co..nz 10-03-2005 04:07 AM

need linux help please

Hi all
Decided to have a go with linux on a spare machine with looking to the
future of getting all (5) machines on to the same OS.

1/ downloaded ubuntu (spare bandwidth last month) burnt to cd but cant
get it to install. ?how do I make a bootable cd with the download i
got.(ubuntu-5.10-preview-install-i386)

2/ Got pi33ed off with that and put slackware on it did install but
then asked for a login that I thought i remembered but wouldn't let me
in.

3/more pi33ed off installed lycoris wrote down the passwords this time
same bleeping thing happens, it loads up and gets to the login screen
and wont let me log in.

So the ?'s are what am i doing wrong?
I have put mandrake on a while ago but did'nt like it much (to slow)
had a couple of live cd knoppix for example which i liked.

So i want to know how to put ubuntu on to a cd to install
and how to get around the login on lycoris i have tryed to login to
root but it wont let me do that it just stays at the login screen.

any help?

thanks

Alan 10-03-2005 04:15 AM

Re: need linux help please

<me.at@yahoo..co..nz> wrote in message

> 1/ downloaded ubuntu (spare bandwidth last month) burnt to cd but

cant
> get it to install. ?how do I make a bootable cd with the download i
> got.(ubuntu-5.10-preview-install-i386)

{Snipped parts I cannot help with}

> So i want to know how to put ubuntu on to a cd to install
> and how to get around the login on lycoris i have tryed to login to
> root but it wont let me do that it just stays at the login screen.

If you have an ISO file then, based on my burning software, I think
you just tell it to burn using the ISO as the source, and check a box
somewhere to make the output CD bootable.

Perhaps check the help file for your burning software?

FWIW I use Padus Discjuggler but I guess that other products are
similar.

HTH,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

6f7chu602@sneakemail.com

email address

Shane 10-03-2005 04:22 AM

Re: need linux help please

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:15:55 +1300, Alan wrote:

> <me.at@yahoo..co..nz> wrote in message
>>
>> 1/ downloaded ubuntu (spare bandwidth last month) burnt to cd but

> cant
>> get it to install. ?how do I make a bootable cd with the download i
>> got.(ubuntu-5.10-preview-install-i386)
>>

> {Snipped parts I cannot help with}
>

>> So i want to know how to put ubuntu on to a cd to install and how to get
>> around the login on lycoris i have tryed to login to root but it wont
>> let me do that it just stays at the login screen.
>>

> If you have an ISO file then, based on my burning software, I think you
> just tell it to burn using the ISO as the source, and check a box
> somewhere to make the output CD bootable.
>
> Perhaps check the help file for your burning software?
>
> FWIW I use Padus Discjuggler but I guess that other products are similar.
>
> HTH,
>
> Alan.

The other thing to double check is that the image you have downloaded
hasnt been corrupted.
On a *nix machine I use md5sum <filename>
The output of which I compare to the main sites list of md5sums

Shane 10-03-2005 04:27 AM

Re: need linux help please

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:07:16 +1300, me.at wrote:

> Hi all
> Decided to have a go with linux on a spare machine with looking to the
> future of getting all (5) machines on to the same OS.
>
> 1/ downloaded ubuntu (spare bandwidth last month) burnt to cd but cant get
> it to install. ?how do I make a bootable cd with the download i
> got.(ubuntu-5.10-preview-install-i386)

md5sum your image to double check it isnt corrupted
assuming its ok use these instructions to burn it
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#isoburning

> 2/ Got pi33ed off with that and put slackware on it did install but then
> asked for a login that I thought i remembered but wouldn't let me in.

boot to single user mode (google will help)
and reset roots password

MarkH 10-03-2005 05:38 AM

Re: need linux help please

me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote in news:4hb1k153eg5kvjhppotg4pdkdli1b608ep@
4ax.com:

> Hi all
> Decided to have a go with linux on a spare machine with looking to the
> future of getting all (5) machines on to the same OS.
>
> 1/ downloaded ubuntu (spare bandwidth last month) burnt to cd but cant
> get it to install. ?how do I make a bootable cd with the download i
> got.(ubuntu-5.10-preview-install-i386)

Presumably the downloaded file is an .iso file?

From Nero there is an option to 'burn image' from the 'recorder' menu.

> So the ?'s are what am i doing wrong?
> I have put mandrake on a while ago but didn't like it much (to slow)
> had a couple of live cd knoppix for example which i liked.

I have installed Kubuntu 5.04 on the weekend, but don't like it (basically
I think that it is pretty crap). I also like Knoppix and have installed
Knoppix 3.9 onto a HDD - it is much better than Kubuntu (both are based on
Debian and use the KDE GUI).

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Chris Hope 10-03-2005 05:43 AM

Re: need linux help please

MarkH wrote:

> me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote in news:4hb1k153eg5kvjhppotg4pdkdli1b608ep@
> 4ax.com:
>
>> Hi all
>> Decided to have a go with linux on a spare machine with looking to
>> the future of getting all (5) machines on to the same OS.
>>
>> 1/ downloaded ubuntu (spare bandwidth last month) burnt to cd but
>> cant get it to install. ?how do I make a bootable cd with the
>> download i got.(ubuntu-5.10-preview-install-i386)

> Presumably the downloaded file is an .iso file?
>
> From Nero there is an option to 'burn image' from the 'recorder' menu.
>
>> So the ?'s are what am i doing wrong?
>> I have put mandrake on a while ago but didn't like it much (to slow)
>> had a couple of live cd knoppix for example which i liked.

> I have installed Kubuntu 5.04 on the weekend, but don't like it
> (basically
> I think that it is pretty crap). I also like Knoppix and have
> installed Knoppix 3.9 onto a HDD - it is much better than Kubuntu
> (both are based on Debian and use the KDE GUI).

Out of interest, why do you not like it? And Kubuntu too for that
matter?

Robert Cooze 10-03-2005 07:55 AM

Re: need linux help please

me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote:
> Hi all
> Decided to have a go with linux on a spare machine with looking to the
> future of getting all (5) machines on to the same OS.

Cool

> 1/ downloaded ubuntu (spare bandwidth last month) burnt to cd but cant
> get it to install. ?how do I make a bootable cd with the download i
> got.(ubuntu-5.10-preview-install-i386)

Cant help you there faulty ISO immage? Md5sum it? hint google md5sum

> 2/ Got pi33ed off with that and put slackware on it did install but
> then asked for a login that I thought i remembered but wouldn't let me
> in.

Ok I am using slackware 10.1
the first thing you have to do is log on with root with out a password
after the cd boots

then you will have to fdisk /dev/hd(what ever disk) (my fav) or use csfdisk

after you have saved the partition table then you can proceed to set up

there you will add some swap and format some of the partitions

now you can install the system this is the time I like to so some
sacrifice some prefer lamb I Like beef I stoke up the Barbie and proceed
to burn some food while it installs (lots of beer works a treet too) in
fact If i drink enough It always seems like a sucess.

now the last thing is to put a root password and add some users after
the first re boot

oh yes lilo has to be installed before reboot

and final word installing Slackware back ups should be done first.

now the install of Slackware can never realy does not stop there. there
is lots of setups and configurations to do and much more software install.

> 3/more pi33ed off installed lycoris wrote down the passwords this time
> same bleeping thing happens, it loads up and gets to the login screen
> and wont let me log in.

caps lock usaly its user and password

> So the ?'s are what am i doing wrong?
> I have put mandrake on a while ago but did'nt like it much (to slow)
> had a couple of live cd knoppix for example which i liked.
>
> So i want to know how to put ubuntu on to a cd to install
> and how to get around the login on lycoris i have tryed to login to
> root but it wont let me do that it just stays at the login screen.
>
> any help?
>
> thanks

ps food and drink helps with any install I find just in moderation.

MarkH 10-03-2005 10:01 AM

My impression of Kubuntu vs Knoppix

Chris Hope <blackhole@electrictoolbox.com> wrote in news:dhqge3$od7$1
@lust.ihug.co.nz:

> MarkH wrote:
>
>> I have installed Kubuntu 5.04 on the weekend, but don't like it
>> (basically
>> I think that it is pretty crap). I also like Knoppix and have
>> installed Knoppix 3.9 onto a HDD - it is much better than Kubuntu
>> (both are based on Debian and use the KDE GUI).

> Out of interest, why do you not like it? And Kubuntu too for that
> matter?

Kubuntu 5.04 needs work, if its flaws and failings have been fixed in
5.1 then I may download that and give it a try.

KUBUNTU:
I installed Kubuntu and got it working well enough, the hardware is
working fine with it.

I tried K3b, but a message said that it could not find cdr-dao and this
was what K3b used to write CDs. I tried to use Kynaptic to install cdr-
dao, but there it was not on the list of apps that can be installed (I
also tried apt-get from the shell).

I tried playing MP3s, MPGs, AVIs and M2Vs, striking out with 0 for 4. I
tried to install other packages like xmms, but still couldn't play MP3s.

Mozilla Firefox was included in the standard install, but with no icon
on the desktop and not listed at all in the menus (I don't find
Konquerer nearly as good).

I also noticed that there was no shortcut to any shell on the desktop or
menus.

Kynaptic is pretty useless compared to KPackage.

Knoppix:
Knoppix-installer from the 4.01 DVD didn't work right and I couldn't
boot from the HDD all the way. But Knoppix-installer worked fine from
3.9 and everything ran fine. K3b ran fine. MP3s, MPGs, AVIs and M2Vs
all played fine right from the start. Shortcuts to a shell and a shell
as root were easy to find as well as shortcuts to Firefox.

KPackage seems to be FAR superior to Kynaptic as far as apt-get gui
front ends go.

I think that the common tasks that people use a computer for should just
work right from the start. I don't know what the hell is up with
including K3b but not cdr-dao, so that K3b won't work.

Of course there are fixes for the stuff I didn't like and I can Google
for answers. Apparently the cure for the crappy Kynaptic is to install
the Gnome version - Synaptic, which is much better. There will be a way
to change apt-get libraries to find cdr-dao and installing it would then
be easy enough. There will be replacement A/V decoders available which
will facilitate the playing of all the audio and video formats you want.
But honestly, I am not seeing any good reasons to choose Kubuntu over a
HDD install of Knoppix and right from the start Knoppix just works as
you expect.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

shannon 10-03-2005 11:03 AM

Re: My impression of Kubuntu vs Knoppix

MarkH wrote:
> Chris Hope <blackhole@electrictoolbox.com> wrote in news:dhqge3$od7$1
> @lust.ihug.co.nz:
>

>>MarkH wrote:
>>

>>>I have installed Kubuntu 5.04 on the weekend, but don't like it
>>>(basically
>>>I think that it is pretty crap). I also like Knoppix and have
>>>installed Knoppix 3.9 onto a HDD - it is much better than Kubuntu
>>>(both are based on Debian and use the KDE GUI).

>>Out of interest, why do you not like it? And Kubuntu too for that
>>matter?

> Kubuntu 5.04 needs work, if its flaws and failings have been fixed in
> 5.1 then I may download that and give it a try.
>

> KUBUNTU:
> I installed Kubuntu and got it working well enough, the hardware is
> working fine with it.
>
> I tried K3b, but a message said that it could not find cdr-dao and this
> was what K3b used to write CDs. I tried to use Kynaptic to install cdr-
> dao, but there it was not on the list of apps that can be installed (I
> also tried apt-get from the shell).
>
> I tried playing MP3s, MPGs, AVIs and M2Vs, striking out with 0 for 4. I
> tried to install other packages like xmms, but still couldn't play MP3s.
>
> Mozilla Firefox was included in the standard install, but with no icon
> on the desktop and not listed at all in the menus (I don't find
> Konquerer nearly as good).
>
> I also noticed that there was no shortcut to any shell on the desktop or
> menus.
>
> Kynaptic is pretty useless compared to KPackage.
>

> Knoppix:
> Knoppix-installer from the 4.01 DVD didn't work right and I couldn't
> boot from the HDD all the way. But Knoppix-installer worked fine from
> 3.9 and everything ran fine. K3b ran fine. MP3s, MPGs, AVIs and M2Vs
> all played fine right from the start. Shortcuts to a shell and a shell
> as root were easy to find as well as shortcuts to Firefox.
>
> KPackage seems to be FAR superior to Kynaptic as far as apt-get gui
> front ends go.
>

> I think that the common tasks that people use a computer for should just
> work right from the start. I don't know what the hell is up with
> including K3b but not cdr-dao, so that K3b won't work.
>
> Of course there are fixes for the stuff I didn't like and I can Google
> for answers. Apparently the cure for the crappy Kynaptic is to install
> the Gnome version - Synaptic, which is much better. There will be a way
> to change apt-get libraries to find cdr-dao and installing it would then
> be easy enough. There will be replacement A/V decoders available which
> will facilitate the playing of all the audio and video formats you want.
> But honestly, I am not seeing any good reasons to choose Kubuntu over a
> HDD install of Knoppix and right from the start Knoppix just works as
> you expect.

I guess it depends whether you want to download another iso and install
again each time another knoppix version comes out. Knoppix has a lot of
sources in /etc/apt/sources.list and they don't always stay that
synchronous.
Ubuntu is a distro with its own repositaries.
cdrdao is disk at once, its only a suggested dependency for k3b. its in
the universe repositary
kpackage is in there too.
Kubuntu 5.04 is the first version of this KDE in Ubuntu so I'd expect
some rough edges.
But if you have 5.04 you just add the repositary line and upgrade to 5.10.
I learned a lot about configuring Debian from knoppix, you can probably
take a few of the sources.list lines from knoppix and use them in Ubuntu
to get the AV codecs from Christian Marillats archive.